Hurley's Gold

Back in Cali, NOW I feel safer in my car!!! California Drivers aren't bad at all, compared to Houston Drivers...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    I have been in Cali my whole life and drivers do some stupid crap, BUT...
    I recently got back from the Houston, AND surrounding areas, and y'all are MUCH worse!!!

1) Nobody out there signals (LITERAL ~95% failure to signal rates on all lane changes, or road/freeway exodus),
    2) Y'all gas it until they are on each-other's bumper, when the person in front of them is clearly stopped, or turning then HARD break, like they didn't even see the car in front of you, and logically adjust speed accordingly, or let off the gas ahead of time with forethought...
    3) Y'all Mosey out of your lanes, then mosey back in, or change lanes in front of a vehicle going 2x your speed, when nothing was in front the lane changer to begin with...
    CRAZY-CRAZY-CRAZY...
    4) Out here we CAN have some stupid kids trying to race, in freeway traffic, OUT THERE I saw it every time I was on your freeways near Houston, at least once.
    5) Y'all cut corners, AND blind corners like you have no clue someone could be coming...
    6) When you do erratic sh!+, like some chick with mental problems, I see you do it again right away, like you didn't learn the first time...
    7) When parallel lanes are not straight, you will change lanes, with cars IN THE OTHER LANE... like you don't look at all.
    Granted your roads can be a bit crazy, but F'n'A

My rental car was more dinged and beat-up than any I have ever rented... and that is when I got it.
    There was even a dent down BOTH passenger side doors of the vehicle, BOTH! :clown:
    How do you not know you are rubbing on something the entire length of both passenger doors?!?!?!

I sweat my arse-off w/in ~30ish miles of Houston, The Dallas airport wasn't so bad and humid outside, but cooler and dryer..

Y'all are F'N-NUTZ! :D
    NOT even considering that area for relocation!
    NOT EVEN JOKING!!!
    In Lubbock when someone uses their turn signals, I know they are visitors and give them extra room.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Damn this was a hilarious thread!

Driving in Texas takes some adjustment. Out in the country - you'll find three types of drivers: Slow, easy going folk enjoying the scenery on the farm roads, Speed racers who love curves and speed, and "normal" folk who adhere within 10mph of the speed limits. In the smaller towns, anywhere from 5-10 over might be the norm on the larger roads, but you better be doing the limit on residential streets. Small town cops love out of state plates because it lets them keep sharp on their ticket writing, without pissing off the locals they go to church and BBQs with. Larger cities? They're ALL the same. Everywhere. Shitty drivers, spazzy, sperg'd out pedestrians, and stop & go traffic. On the highways? Those same shitty drivers from the big cities, the casuals from the country, plus 18-wheelers driven by SWIFT graduates are everywhere. Don't count on turn signals, but that's the norm in every state I've driven in. Count on someone driving too damn slow in the fast lane, someone passing in the right lane, count on one semi trying to pass another on an uphill grade going half a mile per hour faster than the truck he's trying to pass.

I actually enjoy the quicker pace getting around here. Shit just takes forever out on the left coast. Texas drivers might not signal, but by God, they know what the skinny pedal is for! Even the typical Prius driver here goes faster than the left coasters!

If you do move here, I'd get in to the tax office PDQ and get rid of the Cali plates. Those traffic cops are already refilling their ticket writing pens :laughing:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Makes me just want stay in Texas!

I have lived and worked in quite a few large cities. Every one of them had their problems. You just learn to deal with it, and the best way to deal with it, is to learn to drive like everyone else!

OP is special... He expects US to drive HIS way.

Got a better idea.

He should stay the phuck home.

Oh - and NOT procreate. We've already got enough useless assholes.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    When I finally became a “naturalized“ Texan (all be it on the NW edge of Austin) 8 years ago, people would ask me what my impressions were of the area.

My response was that face to face 98% of the people were extremely polite and cordial. Put them behind the steering wheel of a car and 95% of them became self absorbed, rude, selfish, reckless assholes who all needed to be one car closer to the next stoplight!

8 years later, it’s still the same!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Early 1990's, my boss and I had to fly into New York City for a meeting. I was a consultant and we were working for a lawyer who was hired by another law firm and we were all meeting with a third law firm. Three teams of lawyers and us. None of the lawyers trusted each other, so we met in the Waldorf Astoria hotel instead of a law office. Cool place, very old. It was a full day of absolute torture, as the lawyers did things like argue back and forth about one word for an hour. It was the kind of meeting where you begin fantasizing about killing everyone in the room and being hailed as a hero. We had no real food, just pastries that looked like swans and such. When it mercifully finished, my boss checked the airline schedule and there was a possibility of catching an earlier flight. (This is pre-9/11, so you could change planes and catch a flight if you got to the airport 10 minutes before the plane took off.) So we had the doorman hail us a cab and my boss asked the driver if he could get us to La Guardia in 20 minutes. The driver was from one of those unpronounceable "-stan" countries that used to be the USSR. He yelled something unintelligible and laid on the horn before he hit the gas.

There is no movie, and no ride at Disneyworld that could duplicate a NYC cab ride when the driver thinks he might get a bigger tip. We not only went through red lights, we pushed other taxis through red lights. (They have something like leaf springs on the bumper.) We knocked (or at least scared) pedestrians out of crosswalks. We drove on the sidewalk. I held on in abject fear as the tires squealed, the horn blew, and the ancient cab beat a path through NYC. I'm pretty sure the shock absorbers dated back to the 1950's, which was about the time the interior was last cleaned. Along the way, many New Yorkers expressed that they thought we were #1 with hand gestures. Did we get there in time? I had time enough to eat a hot dog before the flight. True story.

I've never seen a cab in Houston or Dallas drive like that.

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    I recently got back from the Houston, AND surrounding areas, and y'all are MUCH worse!!!

1) Nobody out there signals (LITERAL ~95% failure to signal rates on all lane changes, or road/freeway exodus),
    2) Y'all gas it until they are on each-other's bumper, when the person in front of them is clearly stopped, or turning then HARD break, like they didn't even see the car in front of you, and logically adjust speed accordingly, or let off the gas ahead of time with forethought...
    3) Y'all Mosey out of your lanes, then mosey back in, or change lanes in front of a vehicle going 2x your speed, when nothing was in front the lane changer to begin with...
    CRAZY-CRAZY-CRAZY...
    4) Out here we CAN have some stupid kids trying to race, in freeway traffic, OUT THERE I saw it every time I was on your freeways near Houston, at least once.
    5) Y'all cut corners, AND blind corners like you have no clue someone could be coming...
    6) When you do erratic sh!+, like some chick with mental problems, I see you do it again right away, like you didn't learn the first time...
    7) When parallel lanes are not straight, you will change lanes, with cars IN THE OTHER LANE... like you don't look at all.

My rental car was more dinged and beat-up than any I have ever rented... and that is when I got it.
    There was even a dent down BOTH passenger side doors of the vehicle, BOTH! :clown:
    How do you not know you are rubbing on something the entire length of both passenger doors?!?!?!

I sweat my arse-off w/in ~30ish miles of Houston, The Dallas airport wasn't so bad and humid outside, but cooler and dryer..

NOT EVEN JOKING!!!
    Houston!!.JPG

Houston.JPG

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

CRAZY-CRAZY-CRAZY...

NOT EVEN JOKING!!!
    Cali dude bitching about Texas in a Texas forum....... I wonder what's going to happen....

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin

CRAZY-CRAZY-CRAZY...

NOT EVEN JOKING!!!
    Look - The solution is simple. Stay in California, bitch to them about how it sucks in Texas, how Houston drivers are the worst. Tell them about the high property costs and the high property taxes. How the land there is sinking, pollution is bad along with mosquitos the size of hummingbirds.

Tell them come the first of September all Texans will be packing heat, the stupid Texas drivers will have shootouts daily on the roadways, the children will be massacred and there will be so much brass in the gutters, the hurricanes will throw it into the air and the brass will become tiny killing missiles.

(Editors note: This is not what the author originally wanted to say, but after several margaritas yesterday, and a nights sleep, he moderated his post from the FU drop dead and die you scum sucking whining ass pussy with no soul and may your children pee on your grave, to the above post Thank you)

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    (Editors note: This is not what the author originally wanted to say, but after several margaritas yesterday, and a nights sleep, he moderated his post from the FU drop dead and die you scum sucking whining ass pussy with no soul and may your children pee on your grave, to the above post Thank you)

Fire your editor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    There is no movie, and no ride at Disneyworld that could duplicate a NYC cab ride when the driver thinks he might get a bigger tip.

I've never seen a cab in Houston or Dallas drive like that.
    Never in my life did I want to speak Spanish fluently more than when I was in the Dominican Republic many years back. The people there are really cool. Our cab driver from the airport to the resort figured out the crazier he drove, the more we enjoyed it. He was very capable and knew his vehicle well. I swear he had that little micro van on two wheels at least once :) Gave that guy a big tip.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Thailand and the Philippines were pretty bad.

Our cab driver in Germany had the Mercedes van at 100+ in the rain on the Autobahn. I was pretty impressed with that guy.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I’m guessing he was hoping for some bro support, and when it didn’t turn out like he planned he did a “well screw you guys” and left.

Top Bottom