• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My 10/22 continues to impress. I took it out tonight and even on a really busy firing range I managed to shoot a 1/4 MOA group at 50 yards with 5 shots, and group after group of 0.5 to 1 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

The gun is still using a stock Ruger 10/22T barrel and stock action. The only major thing that was changed is the stock.

Groups were shot with Wolf Match. I'll post pictures of the gun and groups tomorrow.
    Target Sports

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I went and shot my 10/22 this afternoon. Its a ruger oem bull barrel deal. I havent really shot it since I got it.
    I got to shooting and was shooting off a fixture. 25 then 50 then 75. When I went out to 100 the bullet drop was about 3 inches low than the 75 yard target.
    I was shooting from one of those 500 count box's of remmington cheap stuff.
    I decided to play with ammo. Winchester super X, Remmington Target, and some of that mexico Acilla stuff.
    When I did that everything went crazy.
    The Remmington target did pretty well, but the Super X went way low. The Mexico junk went everywhere!! I have 10 bricks of that mexico crap and it sucks!
    I have no idea what to shoot in that thing. Everytime I change ammo brand, the gun goes crazy!
    All I can think of is shoot something that will group decent and adjust the scope for that ammo, and dont shoot nothing but that ammo.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Whats up with the three different grouping from the same ammo?
    Was a fly bothering you, because that happens to me sometimes..
    That wolf stuff looks a lot better than the stuff I was shooting.
    The Mexico ammo was spread out over about a 12 inch radious at 75 yards. At 100 yards, I think I hit the target on the other end of the range.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Aquila, that "Mexican stuff"

I have two 10-22 rifles and both are more accurate with different ammo. My Green Mountain fluted bull barrel with all the Precision Custom competition trigger parts and VQ trigger shoots Aquila SE 36 gr HP giving ~1/4 groups at 25-50 yards with some occasional fliers. It is medium velocity, dirty and smokey, and does not give the same consistent grouping as more expensive target ammo such as Wolf MT, but it does shoot more consistent groups at 50 yards than CCI Mini Mags or any bulk ammo I have tried. The Aquila 40 gr SE is not as accurate and has a lot more low fliers, and I have to adjust my scope when I go from 25 to 50 yards, but it is some acceptable plinking ammo.

My stock carbine shoots very accurate groups using 36 gr HP CCI Mini Mags and Federal Champion but I get stovepiping and slow bolt cycling using the Aquila SE. Even after I ground and polished a radius on the bolt and polished the face of the hammer to work better with low velocity ammo, it still cycles inconsistently with the Aquila SE.

I have not tried shooting at 75 yards (Hot Wells does not have a 75 yard setup) but shooting the 10-22 build at 100 yards gives me a drop of 4-6 inches with the 36 gr Mini Mags and twice the drop with the Aquila.

The Aquila will not cycle in my P-22 at all. There just is not enough velocity to cycle the bolt enough to strip the next round off the mag.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Whats up with the three different grouping from the same ammo?
    Was a fly bothering you, because that happens to me sometimes..
    That wolf stuff looks a lot better than the stuff I was shooting.
    The Mexico ammo was spread out over about a 12 inch radious at 75 yards. At 100 yards, I think I hit the target on the other end of the range.

Two different shooters, probably parallax.

If the ammo is sonic, and goes sub-sonic downrange, it will shotgun all over the place.

Most trans-sonic ammo will stay sonic until about 50 - 75 yards.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I take my 10-22's to the range for a little long range shooting. We place clay pigeons on the 200 yard berm and pick them off with the rifles. The rifle I use most is a 10-22 with Volquartsen trigger group, Green Mountain bull 20" barrel, Fajen Legacy stock and a Sweet 22 scope. Depending on the wind, this rifle is a true "pigeon slayer!" When it does miss, it's only by 1-2" so the accuracy at 200 yards is impressive even with a miss.

Yesterday, I was hitting about 80% when the wind dropped and less accurately when it came up. I usually set the elevation to zero at 200 and use "Kentucky Windage" for the cross wind. Yesterday, I needed about 6-12" of left windage but it varied some. The ammo we use most is Remington 550 bulk from WW. The Federal bulk 550 at WW is variable and we get "bang" one shot and "pop" the next. That really fouls up vertical point of impact.

It really gets challenging is when all the whole birds are all broken and we go back to bust pieces. That is some tough shooting!

Try slaying pigeons.....it's a lot of fun and cheap, too!

Flash

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I take my 10-22's to the range for a little long range shooting. We place clay pigeons on the 200 yard berm and pick them off with the rifles. The rifle I use most is a 10-22 with Volquartsen trigger group, Green Mountain bull 20" barrel, Fajen Legacy stock and a Sweet 22 scope. Depending on the wind, this rifle is a true "pigeon slayer!" When it does miss, it's only by 1-2" so the accuracy at 200 yards is impressive even with a miss.

Yesterday, I was hitting about 80% when the wind dropped and less accurately when it came up. I usually set the elevation to zero at 200 and use "Kentucky Windage" for the cross wind. Yesterday, I needed about 6-12" of left windage but it varied some. The ammo we use most is Remington 550 bulk from WW. The Federal bulk 550 at WW is variable and we get "bang" one shot and "pop" the next. That really fouls up vertical point of impact.

It really gets challenging is when all the whole birds are all broken and we go back to bust pieces. That is some tough shooting!

Try slaying pigeons.....it's a lot of fun and cheap, too!

Flash

Want even more of a challenge try Ritz crackers lol We used to spends hours with the .22 and a couple boxes of crackers.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Our range allows only clay or chalk targets. Slamming a Ritz cracker or a paintball at 200 yards may be beyond my capabilities. If you guys can do that......I'm real impressed!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There is a trick to the 200 yard shooting. Usually, we throw a round downrange to check the wind. After some "Kentucky Windage" a couple of birds can be smacked. The wind shifts and the whole game changes. Fire a spotter round then do it all again. That is some tough shooting!

Flash

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    There is a trick to the 200 yard shooting. Usually, we throw a round downrange to check the wind. After some "Kentucky Windage" a couple of birds can be smacked. The wind shifts and the whole game changes. Fire a spotter round then do it all again. That is some tough shooting!

Flash
    I was plinking at the 200yd range at ASC a few month back with the bullbarrel .22 hitting paper at least, the RSO's were amazed it was even touching the paper lol. The barrel makes a huge difference, windy as hell too.

Top Bottom