• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    We've mentioned it to a few TGT folks and in a few threads, but I wanted to give an update.

The laser engraver is here, in full operation. If you stop in locally we can knock out lowers or suppressors while you wait, and of course you can ship to us as well.

We'll have a few pictures up on the site soon as well for work examples, but it is a full on laser engraver (not just etching the surface)... it will cut through a lower/side if you set it up to do so!

Please let me know if you all have any questions about it!

RipGear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Missouri City, TX
    Waiting for a Form1 to come back so I can give them a try. Being local and a sponsor doesn't hurt, either!

Don't wait for the approval, go ahead and engrave it prior to getting the approved Form 1. Then you won't have to add waiting for engraving to waiting for the ATF before you can enjoy your toy! Capitol Armory is a great place to do business, I have more stamps from them than I have fingers!

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Don't wait for the approval, go ahead and engrave it prior to getting the approved Form 1. Then you won't have to add waiting for engraving to waiting for the ATF before you can enjoy your toy! Capitol Armory is a great place to do business, I have more stamps from them than I have fingers!

I'm in that better safe than sorry crowd - like to make sure everything goes through before I do anything significant in furtherance. I'm fine waiting... besides, they do walk-in work. Once it's approved, I'll surely need SOMETHING besides engraving, right? :)

RipGear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Missouri City, TX
    I'm in that better safe than sorry crowd - like to make sure everything goes through before I do anything significant in furtherance. I'm fine waiting... besides, they do walk-in work. Once it's approved, I'll surely need SOMETHING besides engraving, right? :)

Not a bad plan, I too always need something when I visit. I was worried if the engraving got messed up I could submit a different lower.

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Local and on sight, I can see it from my desk.

Primarily NFA stuff, but custom work generally not a problem. That being said, it's going to depend on what sort of custom work you're looking for.... so case by case basis. If you want "DONT MESS WITH TEXAS" and the outline of the state, flag, or anything like that it's absolutely doable. If you're looking at ornate flowers that wrap all the way around a 1911 slide and frame... that's probably not something we can accommodate.

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    The area around the engraving won't be any different, but of course the engraved area will be just bare metal (just where the laser cuts). We can reblacken it if the client would like.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    how well does it work on polymer firearms ? like a glock or cz scorpion ?

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Only problem with that approach is heaven forbid if something happened during the engraving process you've now burned 200 bucks. If something happens to the receiver prior to your form 1 being approved you can simply cancel it and get a refund. You always want to build your receiver and make sure everything functions perfect and nothing happens to it during the engraving process.

I've had more than one receiver with the trigger pins drilled wrong and another with the buffer detent hole too tight. Woulda sucked to register one of those receivers only to find the receiver was no good. Also heard of receivers getting lost or destroyed in the mail or at the engraver. Better safe than sorry.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I don't disagree. I'll be walking mine in for same day service. Good reasoned approach, though. I have built out the lower - it's just not currently an SBR, it's got a 16.5" barrel/hider upper on it today.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Good deal. I'd just hate to see anyone go through all the trouble then have a problem. With Capitol ha inf an engraver now, us Austin folk will be spoiled.

I've got the doing a special engraving project for me soon too. Really nice folks there and will definitely be using them in the future for all my engraving needs.

Josh, check your PMs

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    As screwy as it sounds you can get a refund on your tax stamp as long as you never assemble the NFA item.

Can I prove that nope I do not have links to the info on the atf page am I going to hunt it down to prove it nope I dont care if anyone believes :) but it is there and you are welcome to find it.

Only problem with that approach is heaven forbid if something happened during the engraving process you've now burned 200 bucks. If something happens to the receiver prior to your form 1 being approved you can simply cancel it and get a refund. You always want to build your receiver and make sure everything functions perfect and nothing happens to it during the engraving process.

I've had more than one receiver with the trigger pins drilled wrong and another with the buffer detent hole too tight. Woulda sucked to register one of those receivers only to find the receiver was no good. Also heard of receivers getting lost or destroyed in the mail or at the engraver. Better safe than sorry.

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    For polymer lowers (and PMags) it's not a problem. We put our logo on some PMags and it came out looking fantastic.

I do understand both sides of the "engrave first" or "engrave last" argument. What I do, largely for my own peace of mind, is set up the machine and cut into scrap metal first. That way the client knows exactly what's going on the firearm. They can check spelling, size, and things like that.

No changes to the program, and the firearm goes under the laser. It makes me feel a lot better running a test just to make ABSOLUTELY sure.

Worst case scenario (and I saw this happen a while back with a guy in Kansas) they sent off the lower and the engraving looked like a toddler with a dremel put the wrong trust, and wrong state on it. You can go in with the laser and set up a rectangle, mill out (like .004" depth) and re-engrave. It's an option if someone wants an engraving cleaned up, or to fix a "home job"

Top Bottom