ATF to require gun buyers information in multiple buys in 4 border states.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Here goes Obama and company. ATF to require gunbuyer information in border states | TBO.com

WASHINGTON --
    In an effort to stem the illicit flow of weapons into Mexico, the Justice Department announced Monday that all gun shops in four Southwest border states will be required to alert the federal government to frequent buyers of high-powered rifles.
    The new policy comes amid criticism of a failed federal probe aimed at dismantling large-scale arms trafficking networks along the Arizona border with Mexico.
    In the probe, called Operation Fast and Furious, several agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives say they were inexplicably ordered by superiors to stop tracking some small-time "straw" buyers who purchased large numbers of weapons apparently destined for drug cartels.
    Under the new policy, federal firearms licensees in Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico must report when the same person purchases two or more of some types of rifles in a five-day span. The requirement applies to purchases of semi-automatic rifles that have detachable magazines and a caliber greater than .22.
    The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives estimates it will generate 18,000 reports a year.
    Deputy Attorney General James Cole said the new reporting measure will improve the ATF's ability to disrupt illegal weapons trafficking networks that funnel firearms to criminal organizations
    One of the critics of Operation Fast and Furious called the new policy "the height of hypocrisy." The Obama administration is restricting the gun rights of border state citizens, "when the administration knowingly and intentionally allowed guns to be trafficked into Mexico," said House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith, R-Texas.
    "Limiting the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens is not going to solve the problem," Smith said.
    ATF estimates the requirement will cover nearly 8,500 gun store operators in the four states, though less than 30 percent of those operators are expected to have multiple sales to report.
    ATF will retain the information and if no investigative leads have been realized after two years, it will be purged.
    Holders of federal firearms licenses already report multiple sales of handguns. The results go to the National Tracing Center, and ATF says it has led to successful prosecutions for firearms trafficking.
    Target Sports

SteveSpread

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    Austin, TX
    does anyone know when this is to take effect? it does not say whether it goes into effect today or any other day. i called ATF San Antonio Industry Operations and only got a Voice Mail. i have no problem with compliance but i dont know (1) which form it goes on and (2) when this goes into effect.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    does anyone know when this is to take effect? it does not say whether it goes into effect today or any other day. i called ATF San Antonio Industry Operations and only got a Voice Mail. i have no problem with compliance but i dont know (1) which form it goes on and (2) when this goes into effect.

Probably months out. As you say, they still have to make the forms, notify dealers, etc. Heck, it might not even be a true story.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    AG Holder who should be the fall guy. This all goes back to him and Obama. I was looking over things at the Justice Dept website. Gunrunner was the precurser of Fast and Furious. It's purpose was to set up this sham operation. You can read it there in his own words that is money from the stimulus act that funded these operations. Yep goes right to Holder, Obama and Nappy.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    IMPORTANT READING especially the ittalics.

NRA Statement on Obama Administration Decision to Require Rifle Sales Reporting

$40 billion transnational criminal enterprises don't fill out paperwork and are not deterred by paperwork violations. This is a blatant effort by the Obama administration and ATF to divert focus of Congress and the general public from their gross incompetence in the Fast and Furious scandal. This scheme will unjustly burden law-abiding retailers in border states. It will not affect drug cartels and and it won't prevent violence along our borders. ATF and the Administration lacks the statutory authority to do this and the NRA will file suit as soon as ATF sends the first demand letters.

-Chris W. Cox, executive director, NRA-ILA

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Common sense. I know lawmakers don't have it.

I live in the sticks. I don't get to the big cities here in Texas very often. So if I want to go to say a large city, with many gun shops and decide I want to pick up a couple long guns with detachable mags. Now them I am being singled out because I could be a criminal, NOT! With the price of gas, tme and distance I don't want to be forced to drive several hundred miles a couple differnt times over a period of more then 5 days just so my name isn't sent in as a potential criminal.

I bet there are a lot of "in the stick" Texas here that are in the same boat.

Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    From the NRA:

House Committee Passes Amendment to Defund IllegalObama Firearm Sales Reporting Requirement

Today,during consideration of the FY 2012 Commerce, Justice, Science Appropriationsbill, pro-gun U.S. Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-Mont.) offered an amendment toprohibit the use of funds for a new and unauthorized multiple sales reportingplan proposed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. TheAmendment was passed by a vote of 25-16.

TheRehberg Amendment, which was strongly supported by NRA, will defund the JusticeDepartment’s controversial and illegal move requiring federally licensedfirearms retailers in states bordering Mexico to report multiple sales ofsemi-automatic rifles.

As we reported yesterday, thisprocedure was proposed last fall as an “emergency" measure by BATFE.Specifically, it calls for all of the firearm retailers in California, Arizona,New Mexico and Texas to report multiple sales, or other dispositions, of two ormore .22 caliber or larger semi-automatic rifles capable of accepting adetachable magazine purchased by a single individual in a five consecutivebusiness day period. It is important to note that under existing law,BATFE already has full access to every dealer’s firearm transaction records,either during a bona fide criminal investigation or simply to enforcecompliance with record keeping requirements. This new reporting procedure wouldcreate a registry of owners of many of today's most popular rifles--firearmsowned by millions of Americans for self-defense, hunting and other lawful purposes.Most importantly, however, the BATFE has no legal authority to demand thesereports.

Inaddition, the agency has recently come under intense scrutiny due to itsill-conceived “Fast and Furious” operation. "Fast and Furious"encouraged Arizona gun stores to sell thousands of guns to suspicious buyers,despite objections from dealers and even BATFE’s own field agents.

Earlier this year, the U.S. House of Representatives voted on and passed, by avote of 277 to 149, an amendment to H.R. 1 (also offered by Rep. Rehberg, alongwith Rep. Dan Boren (D-Okla.)) that also would have prohibited the use offederal funds for this reporting requirement. Unfortunately, the amendment wasnot included in the final version of the bill as a result of Senate inaction.

InMarch, U.S. Sens. Jon Tester (D-Mont.) and Richard Burr (R-N.C.) introduced S.570--“to prohibit the Department of Justice from tracking and cataloguing thepurchases of multiple rifles and shotguns." The bill would ensurethat federal funds cannot be used for the multiple sales reportingprocedure.

NRAwill continue to work to make sure the Rehberg Amendment makes it through theappropriations process. The amendment is scheduled to be heard on the Housefloor in August.

Whilethe Rehberg Amendment is a critically important first step, it is imperativethat you contact your U.S. Senators and ask them to cosponsor andsupport S. 570. You can find contact information for your electedofficials by using the "Write Your Representatives" tool at www.NRAILA.org, or you can callyour U.S. senators at (202) 224-3121. S. 570 currently has 29cosponsors. To see if your senators are cosponsors, please clickhere: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d112:SN00570:@@@P

Thisalert is posted at: www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6989

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Buy two Ruger 10/22 for your kids ... get reported to the ATF.

Sorry, but Mexico's problem doesn't start in the United States. Yet again, we'd be better off sealing the gaps in the border. Not that it'd stop it completely, but it'd make their jobs a hell of alot harder. I'm sure alot of our boys and girls in the military would absolutely love to sit on our border, I know I would if I were in their shoes. Make it all Texas based troops, that way they can go home to their families regularly by just driving up I-10 or IH35.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    So if you go and buy 1 gun at a shop, go to 9 different shops, couldn't you buy 10 guns in a day and bypass the rule? Unless they release a new 4473 with a question on how long it has been since you purchased the targeted weapon, no one will ever know....

What if I went and bought 10 Plum Crazy AR-15 Lowers from one place, would that qualify, or is it whole rifles only?

Top Bottom