Join TexasGunTalk

Asking Permission?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Axxe55, Jul 7, 2020.

1. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I constantly update the better half with the current state of our finances, and where the funds are. It confuses her sometimes (I juggle a half-dozen different accounts w/different earmarks in my head, often moving funds between them if needed). We tease about the finances a lot, but IF I want something, I'll get it - just as she will. If it's out of her budget, I find what/where it is, and make the proper arrangements. She waits for nothing longer than 48 hours (my choice). I might wait months to a year for something on my list, but I don't care - it's not a "got to have".

Axxe55 likes this.
  2. Vaquero

Vaquero San Saba Songbird

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Money doesn't play a big part in our marriage. Then again, I'm pretty low maintenance. She's the one pushing me to get a new gun safe. I'll wait for the next sale. We've got more than we need. Damn near everything we want.
    Ain't no complaining here.

cvgunman, Sandoval, SQLGeek and 2 others like this.
  3. dsgrey

dsgrey Active Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Married 34 years so far and marriage is take and give but you should always give more than you take. I haven't done everything right but big decisions or financially significant should be discussed. There isn't any mine versus yours in our marriage. A little over a year ago I decided I wanted to splurge on what I deem as an expensive vehicle that I did not need but wanted now the kids are gone and I had driven cheap vehicles for a few decades. I told her what I wanted and she said let's go buy one now, we're not getting any younger. I was surprised since it really wasn't needed but I'm sure it was due to me giving more than I take.

Axxe55 likes this.
  4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Active Member

My wifey and I keep each other apprised for largish purchases, and make joint decisions on big stuff (like buying a car) - but if we've got cash to spare there's no need to ask the other before we buy something. We are spouses, not master-servants. If I want a new fishing rod, a gun, or tool - I don't ask. If she wants a new sweater, shoes, purse etc she doesn't ask. We're adults.

Axxe55 and Vaquero like this.
  5. pbratton

pbratton Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Sugar Land, Tx
    18 years? You're just a baby.

I'm at 41 years and counting.

Marriage is a team sport my friend.

Sasquatch likes this.
  6. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I always figure if it works for someone, that's all that matters. I ain't gonna judge someone else's way of life as long as they don't want to complain about the results.

BRD@66 and Axxe55 like this.
  7. candcallen

candcallen Purveyor of Snark Humor and Truth.

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Neither one of us have to ask for anything. We do so out of respect. It pays off in the long run.

jordanmills, Axxe55 and Vaquero like this.
  8. gdr_11

gdr_11 Well-Known

Aug 1, 2014
    I never ask my wife’s permission for anything. I just spent $3000 ordering the new Beretta 92FS Centennial Limited Edition. Showed her the order and told her its my money and I deserve it; period.

The doctor says the eye should reopen in a couple of days.

9. V-Tach

V-Tach TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    Have worked hard so that the wife will be okay if something happens to me......

If she finds someone else after, it's okay......she didn't do it because she had to......

A friend passed away and left his wife a house free and clear, no debt and an income she could be comfortable with, she hooked up with a clown that had nothing, never earned anything and was jobless......she married him......

I haven't talked to her since................

Sasquatch and Axxe55 like this.
  10. avvidclif

avvidclif Sturgis '95, RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    My wife and I are both retired. We owe nobody. The household bills are divided. I gave up a long time ago asking her about buying something as her answer is the same every time, 'Whatever you want do". I still tell her anyway. If either of us want's something we buy it. Savings accounts are off limits for both of us. Fairly simple and it works for us.

jordanmills, Sasquatch and Axxe55 like this.