• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I'm still a little confused as to what was do heinous about the law?

If you were Hispanic, or even looked Hispanic, you could legally be stopped without cause and required to show proof of citizenship, and detained if you failed to satisfy the LEO who stopped you and, "demanded to see your papers." If you are a freedom loving American, that is heinous...
    Lynx Defense

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The Court remains consistent and ruled as such.

I agree, once a bad precedent is set, they follow it forever. Slavery being the best example.

AFAIK, nothing in SB1070 violated those prior cases though. Ironically. BP & ICE routinely violate them.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    If you were Hispanic, or even looked Hispanic, you could legally be stopped without cause and required to show proof of citizenship

Completely false, but 100% what Obama claimed. Reality is Police could only question someone about their status during a lawful stop, detention or arrest, or other lawful contact,[SUP]][/SUP] and also had to have reasonable suspicion. The text of the law was lifted from existing Federal Law, the same law BP/ICE has to follow.

detained if you failed to satisfy the LEO who stopped you and, "demanded to see your papers." If you are a freedom loving American, that is heinous...

Federal Law has required aliens to carry and show their papers upon demand for decades. STOP/ID laws have already been upheld by SCOTUS, so that 'heinous' act occurs daily in the US with SCOTUS approval.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Completely false, but 100% what Obama claimed. Reality is Police could only question someone about their status during a lawful stop, detention or arrest, or other lawful contact,[SUP]][/SUP] and also had to have reasonable suspicion. The text of the law was lifted from existing Federal Law, the same law BP/ICE has to follow.

Do some research...that is the part of the law they kept.

Federal Law has required aliens to carry and show their papers upon demand for decades. STOP/ID laws have already been upheld by SCOTUS, so that 'heinous' act occurs daily in the US with SCOTUS approval.

And, how do you look at someone here in Houston or Phoenix or anywhere in the US who has Hispanic features and know that they are here illegally? Stopping an American citizen who happens to be Hispanic on the street to check their papers is unacceptable and, "heinous."

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Do some research...that is the part of the law they kept.

I never said otherwise.

And, how do you look at someone here in Houston or Phoenix or anywhere in the US who has Hispanic features and know that they are here illegally?

I don't, and neither does anyone else. Just left-wing fear-mongering.

Stopping an American citizen who happens to be Hispanic on the street to check their papers is unacceptable and, "heinous."

Yes, like Driving While Black.

Good thing this law had nothing to do with either.

ETA:

And what are "Hispanic Features?" I have Hispanics in my family and they have blue eyes and blond hair. Sounds like you have stereotyped profile of your own.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    Just Wondering.......if 4 White males rob a bank and get away in a blue station wagon. is it "Racial Profiling" for Cops to pull over blue station wagons driving in said city with 4 White guys in it?

Guess who's back
    , back again. Skeeter's back, tell a friend. Guess who's back,
    guess who's back? Guess who's back, guess who's back? Guess who's back .....

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Just Wondering.......if 4 White males rob a bank and get away in a blue station wagon. is it "Racial Profiling" for Cops to pull over blue station wagons driving in said city with 4 White guys in it?

Guess who's back
    , back again. Skeeter's back, tell a friend. Guess who's back,
    guess who's back? Guess who's back, guess who's back? Guess who's back .....

Thats what i'm gonna say if it happens to me.

get me a nice thick court ordered settlement from the PD and fish for the rest of my life.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I never said otherwise.

whatever...

I don't, and neither does anyone else. Just left-wing fear-mongering.

Yes, like Driving While Black.

You must be Caucasian...

Good thing this law had nothing to do with either.

We agree on this...

ETA:

And what are "Hispanic Features?" I have Hispanics in my family and they have blue eyes and blond hair. Sounds like you have stereotyped profile of your own.

And yer point is????

Everyone stereotypes in one way or another...it is human nature.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Mexico is a generally, for most citizens a poverty state, and riddled with corruptness and the terrible war between the drug cartels themselves and war with the legitimate Government. And, life even as an illegal in the US is better with the low wages than in Mexico . And in addition, Mexican incorrectly believe that we "stole" part of their former land when in fact the US bought and paid for it ! That does not include Texas which was won with our revolution against the Beast, Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna !

However, illegal refers not to a sick bird but in contrast to our American Law . So, we must keep our borders secure and prevent illegal immigration from our Southern neighbor to the very minimum, whatever that requires. But were I a Mexican I would no doubt also be looking for a better life for myself and family. Mexico is accomplishing with their lack of birth control, what they could never do with rifle and bayonet !

They need help in crushing the drug cartels and building a much better Government with all the corruption and payola !

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Parts of Mexico had contested title by the people when they were bought (eg New Mexico).

Don't forget, the natives never had a choice even though they had legitimate title to the land, before US, Spain, Mexico or anyone. "Ownership" was a loose term at the time.

To the victor go the spoils though. That's all a done deal now.

I get why people come over, especially to help their families. I just wish they did it legally.

If we're going to blow $$$ on oversees adventures anyway, how about redirecting it at Mexico.

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    "Mexico is accomplishing with their lack of birth control, what they could never do with rifle and bayonet !"

The birth rate in Mexico has fallen quite a bit which will decrease emmigration to the US.

Birth rate statistics from various organizations:

World bank: nearly 7 per woman in 1968 down to 2.36 in 2009
    Wikipedia: 5.7 in 1976 down to 2.2 in 2010
    CIA World fact book: estimates 2011 to be 2.27 (about replacement rate)
    Unicef: 2.3

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    The US needs to stop sending billions of dollars to Mexico for a corrupt government that does not use it to make things better for its own people.
    We need to stop being the teat that the rest of the world drinks from.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    If you were Hispanic, or even looked Hispanic, you could legally be stopped without cause and required to show proof of citizenship, and detained if you failed to satisfy the LEO who stopped you and, "demanded to see your papers." If you are a freedom loving American, that is heinous...
    This is Left wing fear mongering and absolutely false.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    One thing no one--and I mean no one--has pointed out with this immigration issue is how these illegals are given amnesty and the red carpet is rolled out for them by the government. Yet, if you're an American citizen and you want to renounce your citizenship and leave the country, the government has thrown up a whole slew of roadblocks to prevent you from leaving. And if you do go through all the proper steps and channels to renounce your citizenship, the government exacts a 20% tax (in reality, I call it a punitive penalty) on your entire estate before you are allowed to leave.

I believe economics professor Walter Williams is 100% correct when he states that Americans are indentured servants (the 20% tax on your estate is proof of that, you're paying the government--your Master--monetary compensation to allow you out of your bondage), and unfortunately 99.9% are ignorant of that fact. For all intents and purposes the federal government owns you.

Keri-Mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Little Elm, TX
    While I can't claim to know every detail of immigration law, it is frightening to me that our current president is so dismissive of both the law of the land - which he is obligated to uphold - and the will of the people that he can, in what has become typical of his arrogant tantrums, flatly tell AZ and the rest of the world that he has no problem flouting a decision made by the highest court in the land simply because he doesn't like it. He does not appear to understand his role and duty as the President of the United States, in which his personal feelings should never, ever trump the will of the people or the law. He is setting a dangerous precedent, not for the first time, and even scarier is that his supporters will cheer it. It is a dangerous precipice on which to perch, in my opinion.

I should add that my mother and her family (sister, parents) were immigrants from Cuba in the early 1960's. They would never have considered coming here illegally. My grandpa, having fought in the revolution to unseat Fulgencia Bautista and replace him with Fidel Castro (before Castro betrayed all by declaring himself a communist, something my very religious grandpa could never tolerate), had to cool his jets in Costa Rica for four years before being allowed entrance into the U.S. Never did he consider breaking the law by coming in illegally. I think he would be appalled at what we're looking at today.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you were Hispanic, or even looked Hispanic, you could legally be stopped without cause and required to show proof of citizenship

The SCOTUS had already ruled, unanimously, in 2005, that local LEOs did have the right to inquire about the immigration status of "detained" individuals:

Muehler v. Mena, 544 U.S. 93 (2005), was a unanimous decision by the United States Supreme Court, which held that the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution allows detention of an occupant in handcuffs while a search is being conducted, and that it does not require officers to have an independent reasonable suspicion before questioning a subject about their immigration status.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    If it would lock down the borders and stop illegal immigration, I would almost be willing to "show my papers" at every state line.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    If I have to show a drivers license, as every licensed driver in the USA, whats the big deal? If not a DL, then some sort of identification.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    The Law abiding public is EXPECTED to follow the laws where as the SYMPATHETIC BLEEDING HEART APOLOGISTS want to bend the rules for this ILLEGAL ALIEN problem!! and the notion it's offensive to have your Legal status questioned is LAUGHABLE!! and to answer this question no one seems to want to answer.......

"Just Wondering.......if 4 White males rob a bank and get away in a blue station wagon. is it "Racial Profiling" for Cops to pull over blue station wagons driving in said city with 4 White guys in it"? wouldnt that be "Criminal Profiling"? I dont know if even that's legal but iam ALL FOR IT!!!! and Why do these Bleeding Heart JackArses gotta make EVERYTHING RACIAL!!!!!!!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Luna2020
    Top Bottom