• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cougartex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    How important is the look of a firearm to you? I won't buy a handgun that does not appeal to me in its appearance. A weapon should feel good in hand as far as fit, but it has to look good to me as well.

On a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the highest value, where are looks in your initial considerations?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Depends on the application. If it was for a jeep gun to toss around, who cares. If I'm carryin' it, it's gotta be a 8 outta 10.....unless the price is VERY right. If it's cheap enough, I can always get it reworked.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    I don't buy guns to hang on the wall in a pretty frame.

If they shoot and function well, they look good to me (form follows function).

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i guess it is kindof like a watch.
    as long as it is reliable all the time (and not jsut twice a day) it is usable, but it is always better to have a rolex than a casio.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Sure, half the reason I bought a factory bull barrel 10/22 is because it is really good looking.

I could have built the gun for the same price, and it would have been just as accurate, and just as reliable, but it wouldn't have a good looking laminated stock, polished bolt, and a spiral bull barrel.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I go for function before finish. More than half the guns I own have been acquired by trading newer ones that I didn't like because they couldnt hold a pattern or function right. A firearm that looks like a Studebaker but runs like a Rolls Royce will always have a home in my safe.

Although I do have an engraved .25 auto, that happened purely by chance.

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Depends on the application if its a go to war or a CCW gun, nine times out of ten it wasn't designed with looks in mind. So in that regard looks are not very important to me. Now if it's a safe queen or something I know I'm going to want to show off to the boys, then hell yeah looks are important! I wont put an ugly gun im my collection unless it was just all the rage and I felt compelled to add it even if I didnt understan the unique beauty it possesed.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Yes and no. There are so many guns out there that are good guns that you think it would be easy to do both. Have a good gun that looks good. That being said, when I first got my Glock, I didn't think it looked good. Now, after owning and shooting it for a couple of years, that gun looks better than most.

What can you say, I'm in love. I fell in love with whats on the inside. . . .

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    I think personal taste is something that is a factor whenever I buy a gun, whether its my taste in finish, style, caliber, or just all around looks in general. Now I will take into consideration the reliability, and general quality of the gun, so if it's a P.O.S. I won't buy it even if it looks good, but when I'm choosing a gun and say I've got 4 choices, I guarantee u that those 4 gun will all be what fits my personal taste, then I go from there. Now I have purchased guns that I didn't think were very good looking but they were cheap, that does make a difference.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Are you talking about the finish or the design? I don't get hung up on how pretty the finish is. I know I'm going to put some scratches on it as I use it... The aesthetics of a design matter a lot to me, however .

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Yes and no. There are so many guns out there that are good guns that you think it would be easy to do both. Have a good gun that looks good. That being said, when I first got my Glock, I didn't think it looked good. Now, after owning and shooting it for a couple of years, that gun looks better than most.

What can you say, I'm in love. I fell in love with whats on the inside. . . .

Yeah. It's hard to carry a Glock and maintain that you care about looks. I guess we guys aren't so superficial after all!!!! But then, if I'm buying a toy and not a carry weapon, I care what it looks like. Hmmm... another good analogy. ;)

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    Are you talking about the finish or the design? I don't get hung up on how pretty the finish is. I know I'm going to put some scratches on it as I use it... The aesthetics of a design matter a lot to me, however .

WhenI say finish I mean is it blued, stainless, black, etc. not how pretty that particular finish is. And as far as design that factors in when I say personal preference.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    Looks matter a good deal to me, I won't carry something I think is ugly. Like an XD.

However, I think the PT1911 looks badass, but I would not buy one unless the price was amazing due to their reliability.

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    Looks matter a good deal to me, I won't carry something I think is ugly. Like an XD.

However, I think the PT1911 looks badass, but I would not buy one unless the price was amazing due to their reliability.

U have to be careful with Taurus, they can be a shot in the dark. From my personal experience stick to their steel/alloy framed models, or revolvers, and away from the polymers. I have a PT1911 got new for $450 only have a little over 1000 rounds through it so far, but no hiccups yet, shoots like a champ.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zw150202
    Top Bottom