• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jlm195650

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2024
    Bandera, TX
    With the new calibers coming onto the market , are my old calibers suddenly obsolete ? My 250 Savage, 22-250. 6.5x55, 270 Win, 25-06 7mm-08, 308, 30=06 will they not do their intended job any more ? Your thoughts please.
    All I know is that is what I have used since getting to Texas in March 0f2022. Best cartridge for just about everything i have or will hunt. It is a Savage `110 in 7mm-08. I have shot 2 bucks and 4 wild pigs/ feral pigs. Every single has gone down with one shot. All of them but the last deer went right down. The last deer walked 30 to 40 yards and dropped. My 7mm-08 does the job right.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    All I know is that is what I have used since getting to Texas in March 0f2022. Best cartridge for just about everything i have or will hunt. It is a Savage `110 in 7mm-08. I have shot 2 bucks and 4 wild pigs/ feral pigs. Every single has gone down with one shot. All of them but the last deer went right down. The last deer walked 30 to 40 yards and dropped. My 7mm-08 does the job right.
    <>

Shot placement is everything. . . . .

One of my late Friends had been a paratrooper who had been dropped behind the Germans in Normandy on then night before D-Day..

Friend was quite a rifle shot. He hunted Rocky Mountain elk with a .243Win. for years, back when that was legal. Every one was a one-shot kill.

<>

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    With the new calibers coming onto the market , are my old calibers suddenly obsolete ? My 250 Savage, 22-250. 6.5x55, 270 Win, 25-06 7mm-08, 308, 30=06 will they not do their intended job any more ? Your thoughts please.

Correct. You need to dispose of those old out dated rifles on the cheap and get you a proper 6.5 Creedmore, an .860 Blackout, and a .300 Win Mag (I know, its kind of a classic caliber, but teh cool kids still like it)

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    My Montana husband downsized BIG TIME, consolidated many firearm calibers and sold items before, during and after his retirement. (I did the same thing but I NEVER EVER owned or bought as many firearms as he did!)

Plus I never bought any guns of my OWN until the late 90's. I used my late husband's one specific revolver for the HOUSE GUN.

I gave my LAST 2 firearms = 22lr and 22wmr rifles to my MT husband too. I still shoot them and a couple of his rifles in RF.

We are in our 70's and, this summer, I will be 74 years old if I should live so long as the saying goes.

He used to own and shoot many, many rifles, handguns and shotguns from a to z as I have previously mentioned.

He did end up selling his last shotgun several years ago too.

He has what SOME people may consider OLD or obsolete firearms and I disagree with them.

He has reloaded since the early 70's and he has a bit of 'factory' CF ammunition on hand too. He reloads for 99% of his firearms.

Plus he and I shoot the RF ammo in 22lr and 22wmr which is on hand.

I do KEEP up my skills and safety issues even if I am NO longer and have not been a high volume shooter in several years.

He goes to our range and to his friend's ranches (Several very LARGE properties.) to take care of the gophers, etc. for them. He and a friend help out the rancher friends.

He shoots OFTEN - several times a week or once a week depending on other THINGS GOING ON around here especially in WARM weather even if he no longer competes. We do have SNOW STORM watches going on AGAIN now in JUNE too. LOL

He is down to this for now CALIBER - CF cartridge wise:

45acp

.380 acp (He does not reload for this caliber and he decided that BEFORE he got the pistol. He has 2 GLOCK pistols in this caliber now.)

30-30 Winchester

30-06 Springfield

45-70 Government

NO shotguns.

He owns MORE 22lr and 22wmr (Two of them for now.) rifles AND a few 22lr handguns (For now.) than CF firearms.

He SHOOTS MORE 22lr firearms than his CF firearms even though he shoots/cleans his concealed carry pistols in .380 and 45acp on a REGULAR basis for keeping up his skills and keeping them clean.

ADDED MORE ABOVE.

He special ordered a NEW rifle (Our FFL man - friend dealer will order it in JULY for him.) in an OLDER caliber that he USED TO OWN - before I knew him. He owned that old caliber rifle for 20 some years. He sold it with NO regrets and he DECIDED to get one again.

IT is in a 22-250 caliber/cartridge.

He bought a BIT of factory ammunition for it AND the RCBS DIES for it. I sent him on this mission this past weekend - grin. He wanted a specific brand of ammo, etc.

He already has the primers, powder and reloading bullets ON HAND for it.

He will use the factory ammo's BRASS for this rifle until he picks up some reloading brass.

We shop at our LOCAL stores and try to support our MONTANA businesses.

I told him that IF he chooses not to reload for the NIB rifle in 22-250 - it is OKAY with me. But he WANTS to reload for it AND have some factory ammunition on hand for it too. I said okay - no problem. HIS GUN - HIS AMMO - HIS CHOICE!

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition! Grin.

This WILL be his new rifle:

BERGARA

B14 - HUNTER

22-250 caliber

INTERNAL box magazine - his choice of the two options.

Good shooting to all of you!

Old Lady Cate

Added more above.

Wee hours of FRIDAY morning:

My husband's new 'special order' rifle came in and it is really NICE! Thanks to our FFL man who is our close friend too.

He picked it up on Wednesday afternoon. He had Bible Study on Wednesday evening so he did not get a chance to go out to the range.

He took it to the range on Thursday and will go to the range today, on Friday morning, before it gets in the 90's. He will shoot that and clean and shoot his 2 carry guns.

I may go out there this weekend or next week with him and shoot the last 2 firearms that I previously owned and gave to him. The 2 CZ rifles in 22lr and in 22wmr.

CZ 457 Lux

They are BOLT action rifles with good iron sights.

I always liked and used iron sights on my former RF and CF LEVER action rifles and I did the same thing when I got INTO shooting BOLT action rifles too.

I have worn Rx eyeglasses since I was 5 years old.

I was always VERY nearsighted with some other eye issues later on in life. I am still very nearsighted.

In my 40's I got my first pair of BI-focal Rx eyeglasses.

I am still VERY nearsighted but I could tell the old age difference needing BI-FOCAL lenses when I was in my 40's.

I was always a good shot with iron sights on handguns and on rifles. I am NO sniper and never claimed to be one. I am NOT into super long range shooting - never was!

My late husband, my Montana husband and my close police and military friends always said that I was more of a POINT shooter from the gitgo too. Self defense TRAINING and shooting was MY thing from the gitgo using my former HANDGUNS the most too. Later on, some competition, etc.

I do not hunt. My husband hunts and on SOME of his CF and RF rifles, he does USE scopes.

He put a scope on THIS new 22-250 rifle too.

He has good eyesight and only uses eyeglasses to READ super fine print or if he reads a lot as in a Bible, book or online.

Anyway, his rifle did come in and it is VERY NICE. He is a happy man.

The LAST of all of his former .223 Rem. CALIBER STUFF is gone (Sold and gifted.) and it was gone when he sold his only and last .223 sweet bolt action rifle.

I have some more BRASS to go through with him too.

Some NOT all of the used brass cases are in plastic bags, ALL SORTED OUT by cartridge, in the garage and not in his den aka THE GUN ROOM. It is stored nicely and sorted but I did not go through it with him again as I usually do several times if not TWICE a year.

Reloading brass.

The NIB BRASS, never used is in the den.

I counted ALL of his RF and CF factory ammunition with him again too.

I updated ALL of his inventory for him and I was only off by 2 reloading bullet boxes.

He had a NOTE set aside for me when he reloaded some 30-06 and 45-70 bullets and I did not catch that, write it down - subtract it, even though he DID mention to it in the past.

Plus we went over the much SMALLER amount of the ALREADY reloaded ammo in the little green plastic reloading boxes. Twenty, fifty and 100 round boxes.

He does NOT reload large amounts of ammo at one time like HE USED TO DO when he competed a LOT and often.

Plus back then, he did NOT shoot as MUCH RF (22lr and 22wmr) as he does NOW in his 70's.

So HE and I can see the changes in our shooting habits and what gets USED UP and shot more often NOW at this stage of our lives.

I am NO longer a high volume shooter and have not been one for several years.

He is not a HIGH volume shooter like he used to be too.
    He shoots OFTEN but less rounds per session even though he shoots when it is BITTER COLD OUT with snow and ice and YEAR ROUND.

He loathes HOT WEATHER so he tries to shoot when it is cooler out in the EARLY morning in our FEW months of hot weather here in Western Montana.

He will be up at 4:30 AM and the coffee will be ready for him. I think that he will head out to the range at 7 or 8 AM.

Take care! I hope that ALL of you TEXAS PEOPLE who have NO POWER or no generator get it TURNED ON really soon.

Prayers said for all of you down there and across this nation.

Heat stroke, heat exhaustion, etc. is NOTHING TO MESS WITH. Been there - done that.

Blessings,

Old Lady Cate

Top Bottom