• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AWF

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2023
    DFW
    I recently purchased a Weatherby 270 magnum, it's my first rifle that isn't common to buy ammo for. I'm very happy with it's performance. That doesn't mean I'm giving up my 30.06 or 7mm rem mag hunting rifles. I've loaded 100 rnds for the 270, so it's a good idea to learn how to reload your own ammunition it doesn't matter what caliber you shoot. It saves money long term. It also opens up the opportunity to load for the less common calibers.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I’m going to be rocking a 8mm-06 here sometime soon.
    giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TexasHorn7

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2023
    Dallas
    With the new calibers coming onto the market , are my old calibers suddenly obsolete ? My 250 Savage, 22-250. 6.5x55, 270 Win, 25-06 7mm-08, 308, 30=06 will they not do their intended job any more ? Your thoughts please.

The only thing on your list close to obsolete is the 250 Savage and that is only if you don't have enough brass stored up to last a long time.

TXTad

NRA Endowment Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2021
    Flower Mound, TX
    It seems to me that most new mass-market calibers in the last two decades have been part of the following fads:

The "short, fat" powder column.
    While there is some technical truth in this, there are plenty of accurate rifles in virtually all traditional hunting cartridges. The real-world differences are probably unimportant for most hunters. I think the best result of this one is the elimination of the belt as a perceived requirement for magnum calibers. I also feel like most of these have already disappeared.

Fits in an AR.
    This one is definitely riding the surge of popularity of semi-automatics. We've seen a few good ones: .300 BLK, 6.5 Grendel; but also some of stinkers: .25-45, .30 Remington AR. Admittedly the .30 AR may have been more a victim timing and Remington's woes than a bad idea.

Straight-wall for hunting in certain states.
    This one has lots of overlap with "fit in an AR", but is a good development for people who live in these states. For the rest of us, it's given us some other interesting calibers to tinker with. For hunting in states where these rules don't apply, I don't know that most of these calibers offer much advantage over more traditional calibers. Personally, I wish that these states had defined their limits ballistically rather by case design, because I want a .450 Bushmaster-alike that I can heavily roll-crimp.

Extreme long-range target shooting and hunting.
    I have no idea what percentage of people this really applies to. I suspect the people who really need this are a subset of those who like the idea of long-range and want to feel like they need it.

Suppressed hunting.
    Very practical for some applications. I suspect this will really blow up if suppressors are ever taken off of the NFA list.

I see nothing wrong with any of these fads, but if your 7mm-08, 7mm Remington Mag, .30-06, or any other traditional caliber are serving your needs well, you don't need a new caliber. OTOH, simple want is enough justification for anything shooting related as far as I'm concerned.

Even so, the trendiest thing I have is a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in .300 Blackout. I am going to continue to use my 7mm-08, .308, 8x57, 6.5x55, .22-250, and .223 as I always have.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    With the new calibers coming onto the market , are my old calibers suddenly obsolete ? My 250 Savage, 22-250. 6.5x55, 270 Win, 25-06 7mm-08, 308, 30=06 will they not do their intended job any more ? Your thoughts please.
    <>

.270 Win. will never be obsolete. Jack O’Connor told me this way back in 1953 !

<>

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    I still have .243 and .270. Also have .223/5.56 for what if. If you want to play with new stuff that's ok. Remember the .223/5.56 will be available if!

Top Bottom