• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    With the new calibers coming onto the market , are my old calibers suddenly obsolete ? My 250 Savage, 22-250. 6.5x55, 270 Win, 25-06 7mm-08, 308, 30=06 will they not do their intended job any more ? Your thoughts please.
    None of them can do anything better than what you have. Reason they are still around and will be forever.

VaultDweller63

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2024
    Frisco
    With the new calibers coming onto the market , are my old calibers suddenly obsolete ? My 250 Savage, 22-250. 6.5x55, 270 Win, 25-06 7mm-08, 308, 30=06 will they not do their intended job any more ? Your thoughts please.
    Definitely not obsolete. Calibers come and go, but as far as I’m aware, the ones you listed are still made. Even if they aren’t considered mainstream, that just means more ammo for you!

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    I'm lookin into 38/55 for Mrs Diamond as a little partner to my 45/70's how obsolete do you think your's are now?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    When I was young, the .30-30 probably took more deer than all the other calibers available (except of course for poachers using .22s). The .30-06 was a wonderful round for nearly everything. I bought a rifle in .308 and everyone asked me if I'd lost my mind. The .270 rapidly became the "hot" round to have, because sportswriters promoted it, but then the 7 mm Remington Magnum was the queen of the ball. Short magnums were the rage for a while. .300 Blackout took a turn because it could fit an AR platform. I worked with a guy who had a side business doing special firearms and he developed the .458 Socom so that an AR size rifle could have an engine block cracking round. 6.5 mm showed up in cartridge after cartridge until I've lost track of which one is which. Then the government decided to go to 6.8 mm. Many of the cartridges look suspiciously like older cartridges that pre-date my existence. If that's not confusing enough, look what happened with the 10 mm and 40 S&W in pistol size cartridges. The Marlin folks at the NRA Convention told me they can't make enough .45-70s. Isn't that an 1873 cartridge?

Cartridges come and go because of advertising, politics, or competition, not because they fail to put holes in places down range.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The ability of a tool to do an intended job depends on the user.

Last edited:

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Yep...totally obsolete. Probably deactivated, too. I'd be surprised that those calibers would even fire now....

I probably should invest in a modern-caliber rifle and just put my .303Brit SMLEs into the scrapheap of history...probably should throw the dies, powder, and other reloading supplies in with them.....

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    When I was young, the .30-30 probably took more deer than all the other calibers available (except of course for poachers using .22s). The .30-06 was a wonderful round for nearly everything. I bought a rifle in .308 and everyone asked me if I'd lost my mind.
    When I was a kid I went deer hunting with my dad who had a .308. Over those years I never saw any of his buddies with a .308. I'd never shot it before and he let me try once though I missed the deer as he caught me falling over from the kick.

GMann1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2024
    San Angelo Texas
    Being a newbie here I guess you could say I was testing the water.I must say every reply so far was a great one ! A lot of other forums would have had numerous scathing replies or otherwise impugned my intelligence
    I have been shooting firearms for 70 years , hunting for 64 years, reloading since 1969. During this time I have seen a lot of firearm designs and calibers come and go to the delight of the manufactures.
    My Wildcats were not mentioned but they also should be considered as well. I have too many according to my beloved wife, but my thoughts are "She is mistaken" The old 22/243 AI still get 4060 fps with a 60 grain Sierra, 6mm AI does about the same with a 70 gr, 25/06 AI is just a 257 Weatherby using less powder,30/06 AI is just a non belted 300 H&H
    I guess this rant has gone on long enough so I will add more later.
    I hope all the Fathers have a wonderful day !

Txhighlander

In the end is where we begin.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Cass county Texas
    Being a newbie here I guess you could say I was testing the water.I must say every reply so far was a great one ! A lot of other forums would have had numerous scathing replies or otherwise impugned my intelligence
    I have been shooting firearms for 70 years , hunting for 64 years, reloading since 1969. During this time I have seen a lot of firearm designs and calibers come and go to the delight of the manufactures.
    My Wildcats were not mentioned but they also should be considered as well. I have too many according to my beloved wife, but my thoughts are "She is mistaken" The old 22/243 AI still get 4060 fps with a 60 grain Sierra, 6mm AI does about the same with a 70 gr, 25/06 AI is just a 257 Weatherby using less powder,30/06 AI is just a non belted 300 H&H
    I guess this rant has gone on long enough so I will add more later.
    I hope all the Fathers have a wonderful day !
    Oh don't worry we do scathing really well too.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    A 150-178 gr .30 cal rifle round may be known by many different names and age, but the terminal velocity and performance will be pretty close in a well kept weapon, be it 100 years or 100 days old.
    Proof? There are of “old timers” that shoot rifles they’ve had their entire life, and do very well at matches against newbies with state of the art $$$$ toys.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have been shooting firearms for 70 years , hunting for 64 years, reloading since 1969.
    ..how old are you? Damn..I feel young reading that lol

Top Bottom