• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Update. I finally got out to the range with no complications. Commie filth ammo ~2 MOA. Sellier & Belot brass cased - right at 1 MOA. Cheaper than chunking commies out of helicopters.
    Hurley's Gold

xsefan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2022
    Whitney
    Asc mags and extra power hammer spring are needed.
    7.62x39r ar rifles are the transvestites of guns. "You have to call me an ar too".

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    A good one (PWS) works great.

I don't doubt it, but I've heard far too many horror stories of 7.62x39 ARs and have enough AKs/SKS to shoot all the ammo I have (which will never occur).

While the AR is a great design which adapts to many rounds it wasn't originally chambered for, there is far too many issues with the shape of the 7.62x39 which has the potential for too many problems.

My current dilemma is having so much AK ammo and not enough AR (5.56) to be comfortable.

Of course, it's always been easier/cheaper to stock up on 7.62x39 give it eats steel ammo as easily brass!

I won't run steel in my ARs.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Valid points, but why no steel in an AR. It just wears the barrel faster with the bi metal bullet, but ar barrels are cheap and easy to replace unlike a pressed/pinned assembly like the SkS and AK. AR is ultimate steel platform because of ease of maintenance
    Check the expansion of brass vs. steel. It effects the direct impingement that AR's use.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Check the expansion of brass vs. steel. It effects the direct impingement that AR's use.
    But it "steel" works. I get the pressure will be erratic compared to brass, but let's be honest. I've seen a lot of people shoot, and with the groups I've seen, it wouldn't matter what they were shooting. The shooter is the biggest determination in accuracy

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I don't doubt it, but I've heard far too many horror stories of 7.62x39 ARs and have enough AKs/SKS to shoot all the ammo I have (which will never occur).

While the AR is a great design which adapts to many rounds it wasn't originally chambered for, there is far too many issues with the shape of the 7.62x39 which has the potential for too many problems.

My current dilemma is having so much AK ammo and not enough AR (5.56) to be comfortable.

Of course, it's always been easier/cheaper to stock up on 7.62x39 give it eats steel ammo as easily brass!

I won't run steel in my ARs.
    I agree for the most part. I read about many problems with various 7.62x39 AR's. The PWS seemed to have the upper that worked well. Never had a problem with them, but can't say I would chance it with another manufacturer.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    But it "steel" works. I get the pressure will be erratic compared to brass, but let's be honest. I've seen a lot of people shoot, and with the groups I've seen, it wouldn't matter what they were shooting. The shooter is the biggest determination in accuracy
    Not only that, but since steel doesn't expand as well, which could lead to extraction problems. Now if you have an AR with a gas piston operating system, that could probably work well.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    There is no direct impingement AR. the AR has a short stroke gas piston.

Real DI guns like the ag42 (and derivatives) mas49 (and 49/56) and some early French prototypes that use DI simply feed gas into a blind hole, whereas the ar has an expansion chamber formed by the tail of the bolt and inside of the bolt carrier.

The problem the AR "has" with steel is that unlike AK's or SKS's, even overgassed AR's aren't nearly as overgassed as AK's or SKS's

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX

Real DI guns like the ag42 (and derivatives) mas49 (and 49/56) and some early French prototypes that use DI simply feed gas into a blind hole, whereas the ar has an expansion chamber formed by the tail of the bolt and inside of the bolt carrier.

The problem the AR "has" with steel is that unlike AK's or SKS's, even overgassed AR's aren't nearly as overgassed as AK's or SKS's
    Someone finally said it lol

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

Huh? You are kidding me right?

I'll just leave this here:

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Huh? You are kidding me right?

I'll just leave this here:
    Yeah I'll trust that guy who doesn't even fully detail the way an AR works.

I'll even trust him over Eugene Stoner.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2951424A/en

"It is a principal object of this invention to utilize the basic parts of an automatic rifle mechanism such as the bolt and bolt carrier to perform a double function. This double function consists of the bolts primary function to lock the breach against the pressure of firing, and secondarily, to act as a stationary piston to actuate the automatic rifle mechanism. The primary function of the bolt carrier is to lock and unlock the bolt by rotating it and to carry it back and forth in the receiver. The secondary function of the bolt carrier is to act as a movable cylinder to actuate the automatic rifle mechanism. By having the bolt carrier act as a movable cylinder and the bolt act as a stationary piston, the need for a conventional gas cylinder, piston and actuating rod assembly is eliminated."

But what does that guy know?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Yeah I'll trust that guy who doesn't even fully detail the way an AR works.

I'll even trust him over Eugene Stoner.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2951424A/en

"It is a principal object of this invention to utilize the basic parts of an automatic rifle mechanism such as the bolt and bolt carrier to perform a double function. This double function consists of the bolts primary function to lock the breach against the pressure of firing, and secondarily, to act as a stationary piston to actuate the automatic rifle mechanism. The primary function of the bolt carrier is to lock and unlock the bolt by rotating it and to carry it back and forth in the receiver. The secondary function of the bolt carrier is to act as a movable cylinder to actuate the automatic rifle mechanism. By having the bolt carrier act as a movable cylinder and the bolt act as a stationary piston, the need for a conventional gas cylinder, piston and actuating rod assembly is eliminated."

But what does that guy know?
    Is that an argument against direct impingement? I'm not following you. I never said that a BCG doesn't act as a piston, but that doesn't make it a gas piston as used in an AK and some AR's.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Is that an argument against direct impingement? I'm not following you. I never said that a BCG doesn't act as a piston, but that doesn't make it a gas piston as used in an AK and some AR's.
    How is it an argument? Its the first paragraph of a patent application that explains how an AR works, by someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

No all pistons are long stroke like the M1/AK. Some, like the AR15, AR180, SVT 40, are short stroke. The AR15 just has some of those parts built into other parts, doing 2 things at once.

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    If the bcg had a sealed area where the gas tube goes in, it would be di. The AR routes gas down the bolt and it forces against the breech causing the cam to rotate the bolt and start ejection. Why do you think the bolt has gas rings?

Top Bottom