Gun Zone Deals

Anyone willing to make some hand loads for me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I was asking can i use the data from lyman sierra 168 hpbt load and instead use a hornady 168 hpbt bullet with the data in the lymans.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    As a rule, yes. But not always. Bullet construction and design play a part as well. Especially in rifle bullets. Not so much most handguns. That is why I suggested looking at the load data from Sierra.
    IIRC, Midway as Load Data books that are really cheap. The one for .223/5.56 contains about 8-10 different manufactures load data for that caliber. Makes a good, cheap crossreference to a reloading manuel for what you are asking.

from an idgit coffeeholic

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    As a rule, yes. But not always. Bullet construction and design play a part as well. Especially in rifle bullets. Not so much most handguns. That is why I suggested looking at the load data from Sierra.
    IIRC, Midway as Load Data books that are really cheap. The one for .223/5.56 contains about 8-10 different manufactures load data for that caliber. Makes a good, cheap crossreference to a reloading manuel for what you are asking.

sweet, Thank you! I am going to look into that.

jpatm2

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    The 2003 version of the Hornady Handbook lists the following powders for 165-168 grain bullets, including #30501 BTHP: AA 2495, IMR 4895, H 4895, VARGET, IMR 4320, RL-15, VIHT N-150. If there are powders that are the same for the Sierra, let me know and I will give you some load info for comparison.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    For .308 I suggest IMR 4064, 4895, or Varget. Those work very well in that cartridge. The manufacturer has good load data on their website. Multiple sources for reliable data is a good thing.

Generally you can use the same data for equal weights from different manufacturers. Always start low and work your way up.

Federal Match primers are the go to primer for match loads but most people will not see much group size difference with other primers. Really not a deal breaker if you can't find them.

If you want to shoot long try a little heavier bullet. Your 1:10 twist should do well with 170-180 grain bullets. I am a big SST fan but the ELD bullets also from Hornady should do well too.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    To me, unless they are total shit, the brand of dies matters less than the consistantcy of the round. Lee works.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Really, a Lee press, a set of dies, some lube and a pad, and a decent scale (lee makes one for under $30) and a set of calibers are all the tools you need to get started. That stuff is not going to take up much room when you store it, and all you need for a bench is a table or counter, a 2x4, and a clamp or two. All the extra stuff you hear about reloaders using is nice, but not completely necessary. I would recommend getting a powder funnel though just because it's cheap, and makes life easier.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690045/breech-lock-reloader-single-stage-press

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....-length-pacesetter-3-die-set-with-shellholder

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00005050080/digital-caliper

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0007607600/imperial-sizing-die-wax-2-oz

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000157631302/lube-pad

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690681/safety-powder-scale

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00005586050/powder-funnel-22-to-45-caliber

This is about as cheap as you can get. With shipping, all of this will cost you right around $150. If you shoot a lot, you will save that much in ammo costs pretty quickly.

I would also recommend getting your hands on a copy of "The ABCs of Reloading" 9th edition. You can get along without it, but it's going to help a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloadi...=1471219461&sr=8-1&keywords=ABCs+of+reloading

Last edited:

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    As long as there are no health issues with the baby

There can be some health concerns with tumbling brass in dry media. It generates a fine lead based dust. It should not be done in your home especially if you have a child. Outdoors is best. Once the brass is cleaned the rest of the process is fine.

Last edited:

wtxj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    DFW
    Well 1984 I was out of the house today. Get your stuff together, let me know and we can set up a time when you are free to drive over. 308's are an easy load.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    A forum member that lives in my area is going to let me use their loading equipment I just have to order the primers brass bullets and powder. I need to get stocked up on my 308 definitely because the Oct meet is coming up soon.

jazzman709

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    A corner desk works well too. I have a white formica corner desktop (54" on each side along the wall) that your welcome to if you could use it. You could attach it to 2x4 along the walls (center section only) and support each end with Ikea cabinets (build a 2x4 base or buy the metal legs). Since the Ikea cabinets attach to the wall, makes a solid reloading bench. I used the corner desk for years before moving to something larger this year. I mount my presses (2) on 3/4" plywood sheets and just slide them out the way when I need space in the work area. When in use, slide them into position and bolt them to the desk with long screws and wing nuts.

I've even sell you a almost new Hornady Classic press for $100. Package deal, desktop and press for $100. Or desktop is free LOL! The press works fine. I used it to reload 100 270AR but decided I wanted a different press with automated primer feed system.

Send me PM if interested. I up in Frisco.
    Trying to send pm, new at this...did it work?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

jazzman709

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Does anyone think it possible watching the tutorials on YouTube to reloading i could learn to reload safely?

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Does anyone think it possible watching the tutorials on YouTube to reloading i could learn to reload safely?

As long as you can follow basic instructions, understand how to read a caliper, work a scale, and generally are a safe person, yes. I watched some videos, read the manuals, and started on my own with a Lee Classic Cast Turret kit from Midway.

jazzman709

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    thanks, I have been looking at the Lee presses that has the multiple setup, just change out the plates and dies

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    The whole first half of the Lee Reloading Manual is a pretty detailed and comprehensive guide to reloading. IMO, It's a really good place to start.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

Top Bottom