• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    OP are you still looking for .308 Pmags?

Have 4 (2×20 & 2×25) unused, I'd give you a good price on.

Let me know.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Solid info. I currently have a 10rd magpul and a 20rd promag (came with the rifle) but the promag gave me feeding issues but I also had some other issues I since fixed with the rifle and havent tested the promag again yet.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Throw the pro mag away. Friends don’t let friends use total ****

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    I used to say...
    If I wasn't issued plastic mags...
    Just like a wife,
    I don't need one...

Well, I got married, maybe I'll look into some?

I hear plastic mags can break lips easier in cold weather,
    however if metal/aluminum mags were what I was issued,
    I'd assume they last longer... but this in only my theory,

I only own a few, for the laser'd-on silly-logos, and don't use them much.

Since I don't need to buy a new stockpile, but needed to buy now, and wanted to test longevity/have spares as disposables, I'd go with the cheaper option, but have even more extra full-mags already loaded, just in case...

However aluminim Duramags do not drop-free from my old-ass 1st-Gen of MEME-lowers, so it's time to upgrade the lower anyways.

If there ever is a mag-ban, I would like to have the majority of the grandfathered-mags to be tried-and-tested... metal.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I hear plastic mags can break lips easier in cold weather,
    however if metal/aluminum mags were what I was issued,
    I'd assume they last longer... but this in only my theory,
    Some food for thought:

I have dropped a metal mag and it took a set. Fortunately it was a tab that held the base plate. Still, aluminum mags come with the risk of taking a set when polymer mags tough enough, can bounce back.

After my own testing I trust Magpul. I wouldn’t worry about taking them into the cold. I also used to work in cold rooms and nylon tooling would drop. That was even negative 40. I would not take a hex mag into the cold. Magpul no problem.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Some food for thought:

I have dropped a metal mag and it took a set. Fortunately it was a tab that held the base plate. Still, aluminum mags come with the risk of taking a set when polymer mags tough enough, can bounce back....
    I am not saying it cannot happen w/ metal mags (steel OR aluminum), but I have never dropped an aluminum mag that ever caused any issues.

It's true that I am not running and gunning, but I have never heard of this issue with aluminum mags from Marine Armorers, or Ammo Techs I've worked with, nor any range buddies.
    I HAVE heard of plastic lips wearing out, and broken lips on plastic mags.

How far are you dropping mags from, Sir?
    Maybe your Calvary-jockeys on horseback are just too high to be dropping mags from that height? :D
    Practice better mag-retention? :p

Lots of people stick with what they know, and I wasn't issued any plastic/nylon/glass-reinforced mags...

EDIT (November 27, 2012): I didn't even know this, until I just came across it...

EDIT #2 (November 01, 2018):

Last edited:

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    The aluminum GI mag was designed to be thrown away after the first use. Then the bean counters decided to save .01 per full magazine and we started using a throw away part over and over. My issues aluminum mags were crap compared to PMAG’s, I have had more issues with GI mag feed lips than any pmag issue at all. If you’re really worried about it get lancers. I have about 10 of them for rifles that didn’t like gen 1/2 pmags and they have been fine.

Top Bottom