• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    They're 3 bucks cheaper than the steel duramags I was looking at. Just wondering if they're worth it to save the money?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    They are ok. Built as durable as amend 2 mags so middle of the road.

In 2016 I did some destructive testing of polymer mags at work just for fun.

Magpul was hands down the king.
    Middle of the road was amend 2. Maybe a little under that was hex and others.

Magpul was the only mags that still functioned after we were done. What we did was beyond abuse.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    They are ok. Built as durable as amend 2 mags so middle of the road.

In 2016 I did some destructive testing of polymer mags at work just for fun.

Magpul was hands down the king.
    Middle of the road was amend 2. Maybe a little under that was hex and others.

Magpul was the only mags that still functioned after we were done. What we did was beyond abuse.
    Solid info. I currently have a 10rd magpul and a 20rd promag (came with the rifle) but the promag gave me feeding issues but I also had some other issues I since fixed with the rifle and havent tested the promag again yet.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    For how cheap gen 2 Pmags are...just get the pmags if durability is an issue.
    The dura mag is a couple bucks cheaper than the magpul. I was strictly looking to save a few bucks to afford another mag.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Solid info. I currently have a 10rd magpul and a 20rd promag (came with the rifle) but the promag gave me feeding issues but I also had some other issues I since fixed with the rifle and havent tested the promag again yet.

Don't bother testing the ProMag again. It works exactly like a ProMag from your description, though with slightly more reliability than their usual standard.

You're better off ditching it and buying a mag from a company with some concept of quality control.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse

You're better off ditching it and buying a mag from a company with some concept of quality control.

This is why I was looking at the dura mags. I use them for the ar15s and they work great. I'm thinking I should just pony up the extra bucks for them. I was hoping the hex mags were gonna be closer in quality to the magpul.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas

Put the pro mag in a fire.

So to give you a run down in what we did:

All mags were empty. All mags tossed about 20 feet in the air. Most mags including hex, had the spring and base plate pop out and off but no damage to mags. Ground was concrete.

Next we throw the mags as hard as we could onto the concrete. I mean savage hard. Most had structural cracking and chipping on the body and some lips. Amend 2, hex, and others couldn’t take this abuse. Magpul mags got dinged and gashed and just kept blowing apart but you could put em together and they still worked.

Finally for the ar magpul mags we took hammers and all kinds of other tools to em, put holes in em and man if it stayed in the magwell it still functioned. So they can still functioned before shattering.

The most amazing results was from the magpul ak mags. We put one in a vise... closed the vice on the body so tight it smashed the body flat...then after taking it out of the vice the body returned to as much form as it could but still loaded and fed!

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Finally for the ar magpul mags we took hammers and all kinds of other tools to em, put holes in em and man if it stayed in the magwell it still functioned.

NEAT! What the heck do you do for work anyway?!?

For the record I'm looking for ar10 mags.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    NEAT! What the heck do you do for work anyway?!?

For the record I'm looking for ar10 mags.

At the time I worked for an old friend. He was an 07 and ar15 manufacturer.

We did some wild testing.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I was talking to a customer at work today that does some tactical shooting, so we were talking mags. He said PMAGS is all he buys. Said he's seen plenty of HEX mags shatter when the abuse it put to them.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    That’s why I tell people the gen 3 ak mags with the metal locking tabs are more I mean extremely more durable than y’all realize.

When you smash a plastic body in a vice, you see the plastic turn white and bubble trying to fail, then it goes back to form well enough to not hinder a full load...that sold me.

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    I've had failures with hexmags. Note that these were gen 1. I haven't tried gen 2 hexmags. I'll not buy more of them. Plenty of good GI mags out there for almost the same money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Put the pro mag in a fire.

So to give you a run down in what we did:

All mags were empty. All mags tossed about 20 feet in the air. Most mags including hex, had the spring and base plate pop out and off but no damage to mags. Ground was concrete.

Next we throw the mags as hard as we could onto the concrete. I mean savage hard. Most had structural cracking and chipping on the body and some lips. Amend 2, hex, and others couldn’t take this abuse. Magpul mags got dinged and gashed and just kept blowing apart but you could put em together and they still worked.

Finally for the ar magpul mags we took hammers and all kinds of other tools to em, put holes in em and man if it stayed in the magwell it still functioned. So they can still functioned before shattering.

The most amazing results was from the magpul ak mags. We put one in a vise... closed the vice on the body so tight it smashed the body flat...then after taking it out of the vice the body returned to as much form as it could but still loaded and fed!
    I would like to see Lancers included in this test.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I would like to see Lancers included in this test.
    Had to check the thread to see if anyone posted the same thing.

Majority of my mags are Magpul but I recently purchased 6 of the Lancers. Haven’t had an opportunity to try them out yet but I’ve heard good things.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I run a few in my guns currently and enjoy them. I like the steel lips and they can use the magpul stripper clip loaders.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Things that are always worth the money....
    Franchise Quarterbacks
    Tools
    Memories with kids
    AR mags.

I started in ARs when mags were 25 or 30 bucks for USGI. All I bought were USGI msgs from legacy military suppliers. I learned this lesson from buying cheap shit in the beginning.

It took forever to even goto magpul followers but they are better than original.

I only went magpul pmags after my son and his unit used pmags exclusively on several deployments. The same pmags over 3 or 4 years that went thru nasty conditions and fed lots of rounds thru his 10 primary load out mags.

The mag failure is the part that will be most likely to get you killed. Not to mention the frustration. So when you can find Pmags for 8 bucks and even USGI mags in that 7 to 8 dollar range that are as close to bullet proof a mans gotta ask himself is it worth it.

There are other outstanding mags, lancer and HK but they cost more for no quality increases.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yeah there’s no reason to not buy pmags. They are affordable and really durable.

I have a locker of ar15 mags and my gi and pmags are reserved for my go to ar’s. My lancers and hex mags are for my ar’s that I take time to shoot with/are scoped/more for critters/set up for extended range conflict.

I’m definitely not going to take my hex mags and fall on em and feel confident.

Top Bottom