• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    confirm a couple facts here if you please I loaded another rainier just like the last ones that shot poorly so.........OAL is within guide lines per lyman manual as it is in fact 1.112, Lymans max OAL length is 1.170 if Im understanding this right also my Dillon cartridge checker is 1.70" and shells fall in and out easily, I think I may work them up slowly and see how they preform, I really don't have any test gear like a chrono so ..........But I know excessive power when I see/feel it and really don't need anything with these bullets except target experience.
    If Im going wrong here please voice your opinion and also using Bulls eye what would be your stop point 4.2 ? 4.5 ?
    Best/joe

ps crimp is 0.376

Last edited:

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I run through thousands of plated bullets every year. The 124gr RN plated bulllets by rainier are better than most. I run them at OAL of 1.135 to 1.155" in 9 different 9mm guns with zero issues over a charge of 4.1-4.3gr of titegroup. The only limitation is that titegroup can't really push 124gr bullets past 1100 fps without running high pressures. My reloads consistently run around 1060-1080 fps through barrels from 3.7" to 4.5". In the past, I have used AA#5, unique, universal and blue dot. Blue dot is the speed king and blasts fireballs when loaded hot. The AA#5 is clean and consistent. Unique is sooty but works. Universal never did all that well for me. Never have used bullseye but if you want an crank out some great range fodder, titegroup can't be beat.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I've never loaded Rainier's, but 1.112" might be a bit short. You may well be covering too much distance before the bullet engages the rifling and throwing off your accuracy. The ideal OAL is going to depend on your gun, but in general you're balancing engaging the rifling, good bullet retention, and cartridge vs. powder volume.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    Well I just got back from my home made range[smile] after working the load up slowly 4.2 grns Bulls Eye, my beretta really likes them not snappy but not too mild
    and fair accuracy.
    best/joe

Last edited:

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Congrats! Putting together a recipe that will run your guns and shoot decent is something to celebrate. I recommend a prochrono to get accurate velocities as you work up a ladder.

Last edited:

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    A chronograph is a great tool to have, put it on that lay after a few more manuals.

I agree, Im just guessing how uniform these loads are until I get a chronograph, had no idea they were that reasonable Midway has one that has good reviews for $89 I think. anyway have it in my shopping cart along with a few other things
    Best/joe

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Just my .02, when you buy a crony, get a good one. Having owned a few, the CED M2 is the best I've used and being able to download is great. It almost never misses a shot when I do my part from full sun to overcast. Long time investment, worth it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm always looking for a value. Not necessarily the best, but the best bang for the buck.

I have a ProChrono and it has worked great for me.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    Those same 2 yall mentioned are the ones I was interested in I think the prochrono is $89 and the CED M2 is $148 @ Midway both affordable and both have good reviews..............Best/joe
    PS After I gain a little experience I will start sorting brass and see if I can work something up that will shoot.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Are you going to sort brass by headstamp? If so, I'd put it easy down in the list of things to worry about for pistol loading. On my personal list it ranks near the bottom next to seating length, trimming, and polishing for accuracy improvement in a production gun. Spend your time on trigger control and sight tracking instead of sorting brass.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    Are you going to sort brass by headstamp? If so, I'd put it easy down in the list of things to worry about for pistol loading. On my personal list it ranks near the bottom next to seating length, trimming, and polishing for accuracy improvement in a production gun. Spend your time on trigger control and sight tracking instead of sorting brass.

Good advice, thanks again.
    Best/joe

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park

Ya my experience has been that mixed headstamp on 9mm makes a negligible difference if any at all, at least for stuff like short ranges experienced in IDPA.

Top Bottom