Anybody here a member or shoot frequently at Athen Gun Club?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KTXdm9

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2024
    Katy, TX
    I mentioned in another thread I'm a Boyert refugee. I went to Athena for the first time in a long time. I had a really good experience. Everyone was friendly, especially the guy who did my holster qualification.

My only complaint was traffic suuuuucks on I10.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Haven't been there yet. Been meaning too but I'm a member at the Range USA on Westheimer (the old Boyert location). It's a nice modern range. They completely rebuilt what Boyert had done.

I went to both Boyert locations and didn't care for either. Range USA is O.K. Top Gun is just as close but it's so loud with all the full-auto stuff they rent. Plus it's a bit old and dated. The Range USA is less busy during the week. Their "weekdays only" membership is only $32 a month including tax. Plus some BS "annual range maintenance fee" ($9).

Athena just seems a bit fancy-pants but that may not be fair. There's a Range USA on the Westpark Toll Road that might be easier for you to get too?

KTXdm9

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2024
    Katy, TX
    Range USA doesn't allow shooting from the draw, so it's a no go for me. I did shoot at the one on WPT, it was fine other than that.

Athena does market themselves as upscale, but it's not that much different than Boyert. Range fee is $20, which I think is cheaper than Range USA.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Range USA doesn't allow shooting from the draw, so it's a no go for me. I did shoot at the one on WPT, it was fine other than that.

Athena does market themselves as upscale, but it's not that much different than Boyert. Range fee is $20, which I think is cheaper than Range USA.

I think Range USA is right there on the range fee but people complain about it being more because if you only go once, you also get hit with that annual "range maintenance fee". Which I think is $9.00?

Yeah, they don't allow shooting from a draw. Not an issue for me. I should try Athena though. I hated Boyert. Most ranges are nice about letting you go a little bit over your hour if it's not busy. Not Boyert. The target auto-retrieved when the clock was up, right in the middle of a string. Pissed me off. I understand why they weren't successful. The one on Westheimer often had ventilation problems and was visually smokey. Like shooting in a fog. Nope.

Last edited:

KTXdm9

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2024
    Katy, TX
    I think Range USA is right there on the range fee but people complain about it being more because if you only go once, you also get hit with that annual "range maintenance fee". Which I think is $9.00?

Yeah, they don't allow shooting from a draw. Not an issue for me. I should try Athena though. I hated Boyert. Most ranges are nice about letting you go a little bit over your hour if it's not busy. Not Boyert. The target auto-retrieved when the clock was up, right in the middle of a string. Pissed me off. I understand why they weren't successful. The one on Westheimer often had ventilation problems and was visually smokey. Like shooting in a fog. Nope.
    Lol Mason Rd ac sucked too. The two settings were meat locker and sweat box.

Top Bottom