• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    As often as you will likely use it, if go for the $179 one. It will last a long time if you clean the ashes out the next day.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    thats a big fire box on that one. Plus a grill over the flame, just keep in mind, when using the grill keep the fire off to one side or more to the back

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    thats a big fire box on that one. Plus a grill over the flame, just keep in mind, when using the grill keep the fire off to one side or more to the back

I was wandering about that. Do you think that fire box is a bit too big?
    Seems like that size box would be for a cooking surface twice as big as this one.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    not so much as the amount of wood being used. and the way the draft works on the other end.
    just looked at the fire box again, i tlooks like you can control the smoke fairly well, how thick is the metal?
    my worry would if it takes off(ie: if the fire gets a little out of hand) in the box will the main tank diffuse the heat
    long enough to cool it down.
    other than that i like it!!! fyi just me for smoking soak the smoking wood at least a day out.
    cooking wood keep as close to the back as far as you can.
    if you do get it, burn it out first at least 6hrs at 400

Last edited:

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    Hey Skip, I don't know if it's out of your price range, but I bought a grill about a year ago that is a combination propane/charcoal with a smoker box from HEB it's called the Triad Sear and Smoke for about $200.00

It's about 250 pounds and pretty solid. I would prefer a little thicker metal on the smoker box, but honestly, I've seen no problem yet with this one. I really like the fact that I can sear my food on the propane, then slow cook on the fire side by side. If you haven't made the purchase, and can afford the price, I'd recommend you take a look at it.

H-E-B plus! Grilling and Outdoor, Grills, Patio Furniture, BBQ Pits, Smokers and more - HEB

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I need a new smoker and found this on CL for 150.00 NIB.
    Anybody have one"
    Or any other ideas?
    Looks like the one I bought 7 years ago for $90... I doubt they've gone up that much. It actually works really good. I've cooked MANY briskets and pork shoulders on it. I have a larger one made of a much heavier gauge metal, but it's not any more consistent than the smaller one. It does get rusty, but they all do. I just buy some BBQ paint and touch it up about every other year.

For the "other ideas" category I'd recommend a vertical water smoker. You can get them for about $40 and they really work great. I like filling the water pan with beer and a few chopped up apples. Excellent way to cook chicken or pork. The only problem is they are not large enough for a whole brisket, but you could always cut the brisket in half. Cook one half on the bottom rack and the other on the top.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I need a new smoker and found this on CL for 150.00 NIB.
    Anybody have one"

Or any other ideas?

I bought that same one in 1999. Worked great. I really liked the 4 grates it uses. I can always add wood or charcoal if fire starts to die out on me. I use to cover mine for the first 2 or 3 years, so it only lasted right at 9 years. I bought a second one on sale at Academy, without the side smoker. I leave this one under my covered deck, so hopefully it will last a lot longer. Just my 2¢

Last edited by a moderator:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom