• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I need a new smoker and found this on CL for 150.00 NIB.
    Anybody have one"

Or any other ideas?
    DK Firearms

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Honestly the price is what's attracting me to it. I know I wanted a stick burner with a separate fire box.
    I really would Like one similar to this but with a vertical section at one end. But those are around a grand. And the ones cheaper than that are rust buckets.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I avoid those because they rust out quickly and don't hold heat as well. Unless you got a lot of money to spend on one that is probably as good as the next one in the shelf.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I had one similar to that and it worked okay once I learned how to drive it. The problem, as Younggun mentioned, is that they are usually made of thin material and don't hold heat very well or heat evenly. I'd recommend an upright smoker, like maybe a Weber Smokey Mountain if it fits your budget. Or, if money's no object then this might work:

1pt15d.jpg

21mf9qp.jpg

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have one that looks just like it. Pretty good one. I've had mine 12 years, and it works fine.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I had one similar to that and it worked okay once I learned how to drive it. The problem, as Younggun mentioned, is that they are usually made of thin material and don't hold heat very well or heat evenly. I'd recommend an upright smoker, like maybe a Weber Smokey Mountain if it fits your budget. Or, if money's no object then this might work:

1pt15d.jpg

21mf9qp.jpg

Well hell... I'll take two, I already have the CDL Lol
    I'm trying to find one under 500, but I don't think that's going to happen with the kind of smoker I really want.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Go check out academy. They've started carrying a welded smoker that's not just sheet metal. Around 400ish. It's not high quality but about as good as I've seen a sub 500 dollar smoker for.

And worlds better than what they were carrying.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX

Mr. Bojangles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Humble
    I spent a lot of time looking for a decent smoker in the same price range and settled on a Brinkman Trailmaster. They only sell them at Home Depot. It's a good size smoker and has worked great for me. They retail for $299 and you can get a cover for $40. If you actually take care of your stuff, you don't have to worry about rust. I coat mine in peanut oil (inside and out) every few months to avoid any rust, even though I keep it covered. I'd avoid smokers that have a top exhaust and look for one that has a side exhaust.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I just don't have the skill to do things like that.

It's not really difficult. I've got another one that I made of 55 gal drums (food grade of course). Weld 2 open top drums butted together. Cut open side and weld in hinge. Square tubing and expanded grate for the shelf inside. 3rd drum for the offset firebox. Used a stove kit on it to make it simple since it's already got the door etc. Stove piping to connect it to the main drum. Stove piping on the opposite end of the main drum for the vent. Simple box tubing frame for it all at the height you want it at. It's big enough to fit a whole side of beef on at once and it cost me less than one a third its size.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    It looks a lot like the one I've got. Don't remember what I paid. I've had it for a number of years, so it's held up pretty well. Works good! I just make sure not to leave the ashes in for long after I BBQ. Also I bought a cheap cover for it to help keep it from rusting out. I'd love to have a nice one made out of 1/4 in. pipe, but that's not in the budget.

BTW, check around and find one of those LED lights for the BBQ. It comes in pretty handy and the light lasts for a long time.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Well, I missed out on the 150 dollar smoker. I found this one, but it's 500 bucks. The owner made it himself with 3/16 steel, and said he would deliver it for me. I kinda wanted a little bit bigger one, but this one seems pretty nice. Heres a few pics of it.

Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom