Target Sports

Any tobacco users under 30 been required to scan your DL yet???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    As the title states, I was just told by a fellow employee that Friday he went into a Tobacco shop to buy smokes, & there was a sign which stated anyone under the age of 30 must show valid I.D., & if they were under 30, it would be scanned.
    ARJ Defense ad

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    It is a age/date scanner. It is used for employees who can not figure out how old you are from the date on the license. The scanner reads the mag stripe on the DL and convert the birth date to your age. It does not report to anyone. The store owner installed this so if the law snags an employee for underage sales, they are on the hook, not the store. Just another form of CYA

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The clerk in the store stated it was Government mandated & there is a sign posted as well, only parroting what I was told, this is why I am asking.
    Also, how would one know that no other info was being stored?

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    It is a age/date scanner. It is used for employees who can not figure out how old you are from the date on the license. The scanner reads the mag stripe on the DL and convert the birth date to your age. It does not report to anyone. The store owner installed this so if the law snags an employee for underage sales, they are on the hook, not the store. Just another form of CYA

yup. ive only dealt with this at a few stores.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Except that the companies that run it store your name and address and sell it to advertisers.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Never had mine scanned. Pretty sure my mag strip was demagnetized, bumped into a high power magnet awhile back and it took out my bank card.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My friend is under the impression that the info could be being stored for future use, for example, say an individual happens to get Lung Cancer & is seeking health care under a Govt. agency.
    They would have records this person was a smoker & he may be deemed "iineligible" for treatment because he would know that smoking can cause Cancer.

The code listed above allows for info to be stored if the "commission" deems it neccessary.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I started a thread on the same thing happening at a local gun range a few months ago.

There are a lot of hotels/motels that are doing the same thing.

It appears that it makes it easier, and more accurate for the clerks at these stores to follow managements directives if they have these things, regardless whether it's a crime or not.

I seriously doubt that the manufactures and sellers of the machines follow any guidelines in their sales to properly inform the end users of the legal and moral aspects of the use of their machines. They just want the sell, it's up to the purchaser to use it legally. I would bet the vast majority don't know it's illegal.

We have got to start reporting these infractions and demand that the state take action.

Our freedoms seldom disappear in great chunks, but gradually over a long period. Just another example.

That being said, if the information on the strip can't be read, it's a moot point if they try to scan it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    went to a store that couldnt' ring up the price without scanning, they were unable to enter that date manually and had to scan when the register made the stupid uh oh sound, did it for a couple months then stopped and havent had to do it since.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    As far as I can tell that only applies to scans for Alcohol sales, not tobacco or other reason.

But if they are violating the law below, would that data base just help the prosecution????

Texas Transportation Code

Sec. 521.126. ELECTRONICALLY READABLE INFORMATION. (a) The department may not include any information on a driver's license, commercial driver's license, or personal identification certificate in an electronically readable form other than the information printed on the license and a physical description of the licensee.
    (b) Except as provided by Subsections (d), (e), (g), (i), and (j), a person commits an offense if the person:
    (1) accesses or uses electronically readable information derived from a driver's license, commercial driver's license, or personal identification certificate; or
    (2) compiles or maintains a database of electronically readable information derived from driver's licenses, commercial driver's licenses, or personal identification certificates.
    (c) An offense under Subsection (b) is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (d) The prohibition provided by Subsection (b) does not apply to a person who accesses, uses, compiles, or maintains a database of the information for a law enforcement or governmental purpose, including:
    (1) an officer or employee of the department carrying out law enforcement or government purposes;
    (2) a peace officer, as defined by Article 2.12, Code of Criminal Procedure, acting in the officer's official capacity;
    (3) a license deputy, as defined by Section 12.702, Parks and Wildlife Code, issuing a license, stamp, tag, permit, or other similar item through use of a point-of-sale system under Section 12.703, Parks and Wildlife Code;
    (4) a person acting as authorized by Section 109.61, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
    (5) a person establishing the identity of a voter under Chapter 63, Election Code;
    (6) a person acting as authorized by Section 161.0825, Health and Safety Code; or
    (7) a person screening an individual who will work with or have access to children if the person is an employee or an agent of an employee of a public school district or an organization exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3), Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, that sponsors a program for youth.
    (e) The prohibition provided by Subsection (b)(1) does not apply to a financial institution or a business if the information is accessed and used only for purposes of identification verification of an individual or check verification at the point of sale for a purchase of a good or service by check. The prohibition provided by Subsection (b)(2) does not apply to a financial institution if each license or certificate holder whose information is included in the compilation or database consents to the inclusion of the person's information in the compilation or database. Consent under this subsection must be on a separate document, signed by the license or certificate holder, that explains in at least 14-point bold type the information that will be included in the compilation or database. For the purposes of this subsection, "financial institution" has the meaning assigned by 31 U.S.C. Section 5312(a)(2), as amended.
    (f) A person may not use information derived from electronically readable information from a driver's license, commercial driver's license, or personal identification certificate to engage in telephone solicitation to encourage the purchase or rental of, or investment in, goods, other property, or services.
    (g) If authorized by the executive or administrative head of a maritime facility as defined in the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002 (46 U.S.C. Section 70101 et seq.), or of a port, port authority, or navigation district created or operating under Section 52, Article III, or Section 59, Article XVI, Texas Constitution, a person may access, use, compile, or maintain in a database electronically readable information derived from a driver's license, commercial driver's license, or personal identification certificate to secure the facility or port. The information may be used only to:
    (1) identify an individual;
    (2) provide official credentials for an individual;
    (3) track or limit the movement of an individual on facility property;
    (4) establish a secure database of visitors to the facility;
    (5) access the information at terminal and gate operations of the facility; or
    (6) conduct other security or operational activities as determined by the executive or administrative head.
    (h) Except as provided by Section 418.183, Government Code, the electronically readable information derived from a driver's license, commercial driver's license, or personal identification certificate for the purposes of Subsection (g) is confidential and not subject to disclosure, inspection, or copying under Chapter 552, Government Code.
    (i) The prohibition provided by Subsection (b) does not apply to a hospital that accesses, uses, compiles, or maintains a database of the information to provide health care services to the individual who holds the driver's license, commercial driver's license, or personal identification certificate.
    (j) Except as otherwise provided by this subsection, a hospital may not sell, transfer, or otherwise disseminate the information described by Subsection (i) to a third party for any purpose, including any marketing, advertising, or promotional activities. A hospital that obtains information described by Subsection (i) may transfer the information only in accordance with the rules implementing the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (Pub. L. No. 104-191). A business associate, and any subcontractor of the business associate who receives the transferred information, may use the information only to service or maintain the hospital's database of the information.
    (k) If an individual objects to the hospital collecting the individual's information from the individual's driver's license as described by Subsection (i), the hospital must use an alternative method for collecting the individual's information.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I've never had my ID scanned at a gas station or tobacco store.

Almost every bar/club I go to though (Dallas/Denton) they scan in my ID. I believe there are fewer places I go to that simply look at it rather than scan it.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Never had mine scanned. Pretty sure my mag strip was demagnetized, bumped into a high power magnet awhile back and it took out my bank card.

So, if I bumped into a HD scrambler magnet, for say 10 secs, with only my DL in my pocket, would that get it done? I mean would that be a terrible inconvenience until renewal time?

I seriously doubt that the manufactures and sellers of the machines follow any guidelines in their sales to properly inform the end users of the legal and moral aspects of the use of their machines. They just want the sell, it's up to the purchaser to use it legally. I would bet the vast majority don't know it's illegal.

That wouldn't surprise me if true. Make that Sale!

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Hmmm I guess that the pitfalls of getting old, I haven't been scanned, but I quit smoking cigs a couple months back any way, so guess it doesn't really matter.

Top Bottom