DK Firearms

Any Ford, Dodge or GM sales-folk in here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Any of you guys who ran out and bought those high effiency high output motors are nuts. Its gonna be years before that technology is reliable if ever at all. Gotta buddy who picked one up. He's been in the shop 4 times in 6 months, most of it, was emissions stuff or sensors. Just a bunch of the high tech stuff, you really don't need in a truck but they require now.
    Target Sports

gcarrillo004

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Atascocita, Texas
    Any of you guys who ran out and bought those high effiency high output motors are nuts. Its gonna be years before that technology is reliable if ever at all. Gotta buddy who picked one up. He's been in the shop 4 times in 6 months, most of it, was emissions stuff or sensors. Just a bunch of the high tech stuff, you really don't need in a truck but they require now.

so what your saying is you prefer a chick that has been drilled by a ton of dudes before you will give her a spin?

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011

Um, turbos are not new technology to the good ol' US of A.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Um, turbos are not new technology to the good ol' US of A.

But it's a completely different application of the turbo. It's never had widespread use (on gas) outside of the performance setting.

And that is where people were willing to sacrifice longevity for power.

Now they're trying to use is to provide efficiency in a daily workload scenario.

I just think it's gonna take several years before they figure out all the bugs... You're the beta test...

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Loved my silverado. It wasnt stock though. I had a big cube big turbo setup. Got horrible mileage, buttt, that was because of the setup. Super reliable, except for the multiple blown transmissions.

sent from my dishwasher

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Loved my silverado. It wasnt stock though. I had a big cube big turbo setup. Got horrible mileage, buttt, that was because of the setup. Super reliable, except for the multiple blown transmissions.

sent from my dishwasher

Stock trans is/was the weakest link.

TheTexasTom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    I disagree. For the longest time, I've been buying Fords for 3/4- and 1-ton trucks, and GMC for my 1/2-tons. My '05 F250, '08 F350, and '08 F550 were all plagued by problems. Hell, my F350 was on its 3rd engine by the time I got rid of it. After the F550 I went back to Duramax with my '11 GMC 2500HD, and the only problems I've had was a shorted lifter pump because my Banks intake box rubbed through the wiring insulation; just last week at 60kmi the transmission would not come out of 2nd gear; the TCM was replaced under warranty.

Meanwhile, I had a '07 GMC 5.3 and a '08 Chevy 8.1 (2500HD) and not a single major issue. When the EcoBoost finally came out I was keen to try it, and it was the ONLY reason I switched from GM to Ford. My F150 is a '12 and I've had it for just over a year. It's been in the dealer 4 times for repairs: parking brake wouldn't fully disengage (2 visits in the first week of ownership), brake controller not working, and just recently the throttle body had to be replaced because it sent the truck into limp mode.

I wholeheartedly disagree that Fords are the better made trucks.

Kind of funny since my experience has been just the opposite!

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    It depends on the tuner. My dad's Audi S8 has an APR tune which is basically a reflash with 3 tune levels. You can control everything with certain combinations of pressing the cruise control button, trip meter button, reset, brake pedal, etc. When switched back to "factory" it's completely invisible even to the technicians at Audi. Of course, now the car has a Procharger so that's beside the point.

Most handheld tuners will plug in to the OBDII port and would be noticeable to the technician. It all depends on which tuner you have.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    First I heard of it. But I also never searched for it... All I know is the car has been serviced several times for powertrain issues, and they either didn't know or didn't care. Take it FWIW.

Top Bottom