• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    And there is progress on the new bridge. With so many issues with its construction I'm not too terribly looking forward to crossing over it when it's finished. But hey the old bridge is about to fall down too and I still drive over it. And the Old Courthouse is still falling down also.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    The new harbor bridge was designed by the same people that did the bridge in Florida that collapsed. TXDOT fired them and hired a new engineer mid way thru project. It also has had lots of issues one of which is the main pillars were sinking. I believe the north pillar never hit solid ground when driving the pilings. I believe these main pillars also have had cracks in them as well. Not very confident in the new bridge as a whole given its design history and what I’ve heard surrounding the construction issues.

Also as an FYI when TXDOT allowed construction to resume one of the construction company employees got drunk at celebration party for construction to resume and drove the wrong way over the harbor bridge and killed a person. This lead to the DPS being permanently stationed at the entrances 24/7 to prevent wrong way drivers as well a few exits now closed permanently.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    But hey the old bridge is about to fall down too and I still drive over it. And the Old Courthouse is still falling down also.
    The old bridge was about to fall down when I moved away from there almost 20 years ago. I guess it wasn’t quite as bad as they led us to believe back then.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Y’all are making me miss Corpus Christi. I was there in September last; looked that the entire area was “under construction”.

I’ll never forget 8/3/70 in Spohn when Celia blew the top 3 floors clean off, down to the orangish I-beams.

<>

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    And there is progress on the new bridge. With so many issues with its construction I'm not too terribly looking forward to crossing over it when it's finished. But hey the old bridge is about to fall down too and I still drive over it. And the Old Courthouse is still falling down also.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    The new harbor bridge was designed by the same people that did the bridge in Florida that collapsed. TXDOT fired them and hired a new engineer mid way thru project. It also has had lots of issues one of which is the main pillars were sinking. I believe the north pillar never hit solid ground when driving the pilings. I believe these main pillars also have had cracks in them as well. Not very confident in the new bridge as a whole given its design history and what I’ve heard surrounding the construction issues.

Also as an FYI when TXDOT allowed construction to resume one of the construction company employees got drunk at celebration party for construction to resume and drove the wrong way over the harbor bridge and killed a person. This lead to the DPS being permanently stationed at the entrances 24/7 to prevent wrong way drivers as well a few exits now closed permanently.

giphy.gif

Me on opening day.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    The old bridge was about to fall down when I moved away from there almost 20 years ago. I guess it wasn’t quite as bad as they led us to believe back then.
    Once many years ago I had to stop halfway up the bridge because one lane was closed due to construction. The way the bridge bounced with the traffic traveling on the other side was terrifying. I've hated that bridge since then.

This was at least 10-15 years ago.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Once many years ago I had to stop halfway up the bridge because one lane was closed due to construction. The way the bridge bounced with the traffic traveling on the other side was terrifying. I've hated that bridge since then.

This was at least 10-15 years ago.

Thats probably a good thing… designed to flex

Top Bottom