• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Yeah bad design. The Harbor Bridge has survived Hurricane strength winds. The current bridge is being replaced not because of safety concerns but rather it limits the of ships entering the Port. Taller bridge means bigger $ for the Port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They won’t get much bigger ships in due to their draft. The channel will need to be dredged and from what I understand they can’t go any deeper without compromising the docks on the north side. Plus the port has been pushing the la Quinta area for the big ships which means they’ll never come in and go under the new bridge. The new bridge I believe has more to do with replacing the aging harbor bridge with a new one that both eliminates the curves in approach/departure as well as the steep grades that the harbor bridge has.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    They won’t get much bigger ships in due to their draft. The channel will need to be dredged and from what I understand they can’t go any deeper without compromising the docks on the north side. Plus the port has been pushing the la Quinta area for the big ships which means they’ll never come in and go under the new bridge. The new bridge I believe has more to do with replacing the aging harbor bridge with a new one that both eliminates the curves in approach/departure as well as the steep grades that the harbor bridge has.

The entrance and exit curves are a safety concern especially during inclement weather. Good way to test your tires grip on the road. When is the completion date? 2025? Seems like they started 10 yrs ago.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    I wanna say they’ve been at it at least 6 years. I remember pre Covid trying to quote oversize loads from the north side of the port and having to quote it 2 routes cause you never knew if you could get on the causeway due to the construction. So anything going to the Gregory/Ingleside area we might get lucky and could navigate the lane closures and get on 181 otherwise it was double the mileage and you had to take the corridor and go around thru Sinton. And there was never any notice available as to when the lane closures were and for how long plus you were likely quoting a project that was 60-90 days out. To say it was a pain was an understatement. The local stevedore companies understood but trying to get the out of towners to grasp why wasn’t always easy. The route was a difference in 2 loads a day vs 4 plus.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I don't remember that as a girder bridge. But it was pretty high. I arrived the morning after Carla, base had to send a vehicle for me as bus station was at north beach. Train was stopped night befoe at IIRC Victoria. Went across it again to tie up a sub at north beach pier.

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    <>

Y’all are making me miss Corpus Christi. I was there in September last; looked that the entire area was “under construction”.

I’ll never forget 8/3/70 in Spohn when Celia blew the top 3 floors clean off, down to the orangish I-beams.

<>
    I left Corpus in 2012 and have never looked back.....I'll just say I did not like it there. No offense to those living there, just not for me.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    No offense taken, Corpus is an acquired taste. Might move to the country when the wife and me retire, if we can afford it.

<>

i always said that I’d move back when I retired.

Same reasons as back in 1968: Nice views, great beach, good sailing, wonderful dove & quail hunting, good fishing, low cost of living, etc.

I’m way too old for those Bikini girls now.

But my Wife of many years, native of Nueces County, says flat NO !

So I’m stuck in the Trans-Sabiine.

leVieux

<>

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    <>

i always said that I’d move back when I retired.

Same reasons as back in 1968: Nice views, great beach, good sailing, wonderful dove & quail hunting, good fishing, low cost of living, etc.

I’m way too old for those Bikini girls now.

But my Wife of many years, native of Nueces County, says flat NO !

So I’m stuck in the Trans-Sabiine.

leVieux

<>

You are right about the positive attributes of the city… hunting, fishing, Gulf beach, SPI National Seashore, low cost of living, no major traffic and good Universities. The negative are inline with other cities’ problems. Oh yeah, the humidity.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ARMSAGORA
    Top Bottom