Capitol Armory ad

Alright! SB 299 passed the house & senate. We are getting "imprinting" in Texas!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BJG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Plano, TX
    Ok, I got some sleep.

BJG, the reason we keep saying printing is not illegal is because there is no law against it. The law is that the gun can't be plainly visible blah blah blah. That means printing is perfectly legal so long as the gun isn't plainly visible. The printing isn't what get you in trouble. You could never be charged with "printing".

Now if you are printing sooo bad that the handgun is plainly visible you might get hit for failure to conceal, but printing in and of itself is not illegal. Just like you might get stopped for driving to fast. Driving is not illegal but you can get a ticket for speeding. Yet we don't ever tell anyone that you could get in trouble for driving.

I completely understand that there is no statute that specifically uses the word "printing". I know that the proper charge would be "failure to conceal" if the "printing" was so obvious as to make it very clear that it was a handgun under a shirt and nothing else. A high degree of "printing" can lead to a charge of "failure to conceal". That's what I've been getting at if you look at all of my postings on this discussion thread.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Alright! SB 299 passed the house & senate. We are getting "imprinting" in Texas

Exactly. Failure to conceal is illegal, printing is not. That is why we say printing is not illegal. If you are wearing an under armor shirt and calling it concealed you are probably being unreasonable and the law covers that.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Would you tell an adult that drinking beer is illegal?

BJG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Plano, TX
    In some sense you would be legal if you sprayed some kind of dark adhesive on your stomach while you had a handgun laying on it so as to completely cover it up. It would leave a perfect imprint of the gun but would be concealed. I would not recommend doing this unless it was one of those crappy mod 1911. Probably draw some kind of unwanted attention but I think legally you would be ok...Discussion?

I was looking back at what got me into this whole discussion and I believe this statement is what caught my attention.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Pretty sure that is an unreasonable opinion of "concealed" as the law defines it.

Not even sure that could be classified as printing, lol. Who knows, some cops might let you off......

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    It seems that most of the people worried about printing are the one's that have just begun to carry concealed. I get the impression that they think "any" little bump that "might" show when standing or sitting will get them arrested. It is virtually impossible to carry a pistol of medium size (as in Glock 19) on your waist that will not create a slight bulge at some point with normal movement and that won't (or shouldn't) get you arrested. It's new to them so they worry excessively. And sometimes it's promoted by their CHL instructors. The situation should be addressed but should be done so in an accurate and reasonable manner.

GRAYWOLF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    People are getting hung up on their own idea of "printing"...

If I may be so bold...I shall try to restate BJG's issue (as I understand it)...

"Printing" is a variable (you can print a little or a lot).

1) At what degree of "printing" does it become "failure to conceal"?

2) Stating "printing is not illegal" could lead some to believe the degree of printing does not matter as long as it is covered. Everyone is responsible for learning the law as it is written (as well as try to deem the intent), but the fact that some folks on here are/were LEOs could cause someone to give them more credence than their own understanding and jeopardize their CHL because they misunderstood what was stated (that "printing is not illegal")...

In other words, someone might take that to mean "All printing is not illegal." The reality is that some "printing is illegal, if it reaches the point of "failure to conceal"

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    If I may be so bold...I shall try to restate BJG's issue (as I understand it)...

And the Penal Code has our answer:

(3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

BJG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Plano, TX
    People are getting hung up on their own idea of "printing"...

2) Stating "printing is not illegal" could lead some to believe the degree of printing does not matter as long as it is covered. Everyone is responsible for learning the law as it is written (as well as try to deem the intent), but the fact that some folks on here are/were LEOs could cause someone to give them more credence than their own understanding and jeopardize their CHL because they misunderstood what was stated (that "printing is not illegal")...

In other words, someone might take that to mean "All printing is not illegal." The reality is that some "printing is illegal, if it reaches the point of "failure to conceal"

Thanks, Graywolf. That's pretty much my position in this discussion. There are many other laws on the books (that have nothing to do with guns) that leave a gray area as to when an action becomes so egregious as to constitute an offense. With extremes, the decision of legal/illegal is easier to make. It's somewhere in between that we rely on case law to guide us.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I interpret printing and failure to conceal as two different things. Can anybody cite an example of someone charged with "failing to conceal" that was because they "printed" too much?
    All below are my opinion only.
    Answer to #1 = never
    Answer to #2 = people with experience is specific areas should always garner more support than people without that experience initially (in general).

Which leads to the question regarding the requested cite above; Are there any officers here or former officers that have arrested someone for "printing" as the only charge against them? If there are, can we get a cite to the case? And the final disposition? I'm not saying they have or haven't, I just don't know of any.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The irony of this thread is all the arguing over a provision in the law that will be gone in a few months.

At least argue what the new law says!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

This thread is missing a tough guy.

If we had a tough guy it could be epic.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    The irony of this thread is all the arguing over a provision in the law that will be gone in a few months.

At least argue what the new law says!

This!! And over complicating it as well.

BTW, on the topic of "printing" (seeing the title of this thread drives me nuts) if you are carrying a handgun and you can clearly see the form of a handgun through your clothes, you need to reconsider your wardrobe. I can't imagine anything but something like spandex being bale to be tight enough to do that, and if you're wearing spandex, hopefully your wearing a shirt and it's not tucked in. That's a disturbing image. :eek:

Top Bottom