• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Looked at a 2013 f350 lariat today with 98k miles....drove good and pretty well priced at 38k

Heading to the bank this week to figure out how much money I can get!

Sent from...wait where am I!?

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Wow holy sticker shock batman. 38k for a 3yr old truck with 98k

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Thats what we thought initially....quick Kelly bluebook search showed it's pretty well priced! It's the lariat package with navigation, etc.

Also looked at a '12 f250 with 75k miles but the more I research towing a 5th wheel the more I lean towards a 1 ton!

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    How much will you driving will you be doing with no 5th wheel?
    A 1 ton will sure be a rough ride.
    It'll be my daily vehicle as well, planning to hit the road full time though which means the truck will be making many long trips with a 5th wheel attached!

Also looking for a big 5th wheel since it'll be our permanent home for a while!

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    In all honesty I haven't bought a new/used truck since 07. It was true sticker shock. I paid around 32k for a Dodge crew dually back in 04. How the times have changed. Freaking inflation

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Thats what we thought initially....quick Kelly bluebook search showed it's pretty well priced! It's the lariat package with navigation, etc.

Also looked at a '12 f250 with 75k miles but the more I research towing a 5th wheel the more I lean towards a 1 ton!

Same truck essentially. The 1 ton has helper springs that only make contact when loaded down.

Get either one and add airbags to it. The 1 ton gets rough on the helper springs. They both will squat.

Ford designs them to ride well which means the suspension is soft.

If you are going to pull a lot get a dually. Same suspension again but will control a big trailer better. Safer if you get a blow out too.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Anybody have any good resources for determining how much 5th wheel these trucks can actually safely haul? I thought the answer would be easy to find.....boy was I wrong!

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    dually will pull as big as you can buy. SRW will be fine with just about any twin axle.

make sure the trailer brakes are in good condition and your trailer brake controller is adjusted properly, and mind the speed ratings on the trailer tires. (i upgrade my tires to LT rated.) not much apart from that regarding "safe hauling."

Last edited:

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    most trailer tires are ST rated (up to 65mph) and they usually hold up fine to typical Texas highway speeds, but if you're reaching the payload of the tire (e.g. a big 5th wheel), then you really have to mind the speed ratings. or upgrade to LT rated tires for a few bucks more and then you only have to worry about common sense speed ratings lol

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Yes, make sure they're load range E or higher. Mind the air pressures and like Dawico said, you get what you pay for. I like the tried and trued Michelin LTX M/S2. Awesome in all weather conditions, wear like iron but great traction, and still work ok in the dirt.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Ducknot I know you are looking at trailers but have you looked at motorhomes? The financing will be better for a motorhome and longer terms.

Top Bottom