• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I read about this on an AK forum, and was wondering if anyone else heard about it...

I was at BAMC (army hospital in San Antonio) ER for my dad (he's ok). A guy came in with a gunshot wound to the leg he got while at a shooting range called a place to shoot. Apparently, some FUDD was putting his .270 in its case, loaded and cocked of course, and it discharged. It went thru the case and a bystanders leg. The guy will be ok.

I don't doubt it happened, I was just looking for more details. I have been out to A Place To Shoot once and decided it wasn't my kind of range; but to be honest when I read there was an accidental shooting in SA my first thought was that it most likely happened at The Bullethole.

About the funniest response to the thread was someone suggesting the name be changed to "A Place To Get Shot!"

Cheers! M2
    Guns International

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    I haven't been there in years. Last time I went, I did my thing on the pistol range and when I got back to my car, I found bird shot dents on the side of my car. Was not happy.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I hate Fudds. I've seen them almost shoot their own sons in the face they're so clueless. This is why you do not store a gun in a case loaded.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I hate Fudds. I've seen them almost shoot their own sons in the face they're so clueless. This is why you do not store a gun in a case loaded.

It's funny how people keep their guns...

0) My ARs always have a loaded magazine inserted at home, but no round in the chamber, and the rifle uncharged. There's no way it can go off accidentally.

1) I have a XD40 with a loaded magazine inserted, and again nothing in the chamber. I don't really like the fact that the pistol doesn't have a thumb safety. I keep this pistol on top of my web server at home. Hasn't seen the case since I got it.

2) My 1911 is my carry weapon and is *always* in condition-1, and hasn't been in its case since I got it.

3) My .22s never aren't what I consider to be defensive weapons, so they usually just sit around ready to use (cleaned/lubed), but with no ammo in the.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Do u think that the gun range will pay for his hospital bills??

Honestly, I am not sure of the range's legal liability in this case. How much would the FUDD that shot him be liable? I would think there is a good chance that both will be named in the lawsuit...

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Absolutely not. The gun range was not at fault. The idiot that shot him was.

What you say makes logical sense, but not lottery winning lawsuit sense. The range will be sued, in part, because the shooting happened on their grounds and there was nothing in place to preclude it from happening. Some sort of gross negligence POV will be argued and quite likely, won, or the range's insurance company will settle out of court...and it is the deep pockets of the insurance company that the suit will be after. The FUDD probably doesn't have a tremendous amount of money and so there won't be a lot t win from him, even though he probably should be the only party liable.

You can't win the big lottery if you don't play for the big pot.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Funny, I've heard plenty of complaints about the range nazis at Quail Creek. Even so I've seen some pretty dumb shit go on, luckily some people are paying attention. Stories like this make the range nazis seem like more a feature than a bug.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's funny how people keep their guns...

0) My ARs always have a loaded magazine inserted at home, but no round in the chamber, and the rifle uncharged. There's no way it can go off accidentally.

1) I have a XD40 with a loaded magazine inserted, and again nothing in the chamber. I don't really like the fact that the pistol doesn't have a thumb safety. I keep this pistol on top of my web server at home. Hasn't seen the case since I got it.

2) My 1911 is my carry weapon and is *always* in condition-1, and hasn't been in its case since I got it.

3) My .22s never aren't what I consider to be defensive weapons, so they usually just sit around ready to use (cleaned/lubed), but with no ammo in the.

I don't know if this is an argument or what? Sorry, it's been a long day at work. The point of my statement was specifically storing guns loaded in regular old storage cases. Know what I mean? Regular soft rifle cases like everyone has. Is it loaded? Is the bolt closed on it with a round in the chamber? If so, is the safety on? The point is, you never know so it shouldn't be done. Half the time these fools reach blindly into their case and yank the gun out with their fingers on the triggers, and storing them loaded is exactly how this stuff happens. A gun being used for self defense is a whole other story and not what I was talking about. A self defense gun should always be loaded and treated as such.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Put fault where fault is I say.
    But this line of thinking would require personal responsibility. And that is a trait that is on the endangered list. The last 2 generations have been taught that no matter what you do, its not your fault.
    I am sure that there is an expert somewhere that can prove that he shot this guy because his mommy didnt hug him enough or because he wasn't breast fed.
    Welcome to the nanny state.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I don't know if this is an argument or what? Sorry, it's been a long day at work. The point of my statement was specifically storing guns loaded in regular old storage cases. Know what I mean? Regular soft rifle cases like everyone has. Is it loaded? Is the bolt closed on it with a round in the chamber? If so, is the safety on? The point is, you never know so it shouldn't be done. Half the time these fools reach blindly into their case and yank the gun out with their fingers on the triggers, and storing them loaded is exactly how this stuff happens. A gun being used for self defense is a whole other story and not what I was talking about. A self defense gun should always be loaded and treated as such.

Nope, not an argument, just saying that I keep weapons loaded at all times, but on certain weapons, I don't have a round in the chamber. I don't have any kids, and no children visit my house, so I don't even have trigger locks on my stuff. As far as whether or not they're used for self-defense, I view all guns as serving that purpose, and treat them all as if they're loaded, even if I've verified that they're not.

As far as the guy who did this, it sounds like a hunting rifle, and if that's the case, it's most likely a bolt gun. I'm curious as to the remaining unknown circumstances surrounding this incident. We already know there was a round in the chamber and the rifle was cocked, but:

0) What brand/model of rifle was it?

1) Was the safety on? I strongly doubt it, but isn't there a report out about the Remington 700 going off when the safety is on?

2) Had he closed the case, or was he moving the rifle around in the case (if this is the case, he probably accidentally pulled the trigger).

Bracken has a sign posted saying that no guns can be brought onto the range unless they are unloaded. I take that rule toi heart, but I'm aware there are idiots out there that either ignore the sign outright, or simply forget that their weapons are still loaded form their last range visit.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Absolutely not. The gun range was not at fault. The idiot that shot him was.

I agree, it's not the fault of the gun range. When I go to a public range, I watch everybody that's within three tables of me. I watch them unpack, and setup. If I notice anything that looks like unsafe gun handling, I notify the range master immediately. I watched one guy sweep the entire 50-yard firing line at The Bullet Hole with an AR-15 once. I've only been back twice, and that was only because it was late in the afternoon on a workday when nobody else was there. I prefer Bracken, because these guys stay on top of the shooters.

Big J

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Karnes City Texas
    I agree, it's not the fault of the gun range. When I go to a public range, I watch everybody that's within three tables of me. I watch them unpack, and setup. If I notice anything that looks like unsafe gun handling, I notify the range master immediately. I watched one guy sweep the entire 50-yard firing line at The Bullet Hole with an AR-15 once. I've only been back twice, and that was only because it was late in the afternoon on a workday when nobody else was there. I prefer Bracken, because these guys stay on top of the shooters.
    Well that is one problem that I see at a place to shoot. There is NO range master. Nobody out there enforcing the rules or to call people out when they are being unsafe.

Top Bottom