• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • soupgun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Houston
    Ok, the guy came out and said no ammo this week and no delivery's at all of anything because the store is doing an inventory. I guess that happens at different times at different stores because Monday the store in Grapevine had about 40 people already in line at 8 am.

I had no idea the lines were because of ammo. My cousin sent me pics showing the lines, but she didn't know why. She said it's like this every morning at every Academy she goes to.
    DK Firearms

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I had no idea the lines were because of ammo. My cousin sent me pics showing the lines, but she didn't know why. She said it's like this every morning at every Academy she goes to.

Everyone tells your friends and family to stop shooting and stop buying ammo from individuals for a few months, this will end. Except no one will do that besides me. the ONLY Ammo I bought since this started was at precovid prices from a guy that wasn't in line at academy.

soupgun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Houston
    Everyone tells your friends and family to stop shooting and stop buying ammo from individuals for a few months, this will end. Except no one will do that besides me. the ONLY Ammo I bought since this started was at precovid prices from a guy that wasn't in line at academy.

She doesn't go there for ammo.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I bought some 308 steel case from Academy a couple months ago. First ammo bought in 6-8 months.

I agree with your premise. It would stop the stupid prices. But you're right about it not happening.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

I haven't bought any ammo in 18-24 months....

Polekitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Denton County
    I bought some 308 steel case from Academy a couple months ago. First ammo bought in 6-8 months.

I agree with your premise. It would stop the stupid prices. But you're right about it not happening.

I know the stupid prices aren't happening at Academy and probably not at places like Bass Pro or Cabela's. I haven't been to those two stores yet. The stupid high prices are all online sales and the mom and pop stores that have no choice but to purchase from distributors that are putting the screws to them and us so they can make a fast buck as well.

Reactions: gll

miniion26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2020
    Highlands
    Supply and demand. I don't have a problem with other folks doing it. Not endorsing it, but it's a free market, isn't it?

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Supply and demand. I don't have a problem with other folks doing it. Not endorsing it, but it's a free market, isn't it?
    The ammo example is probably what the future of will like for most everything when SHTF... People will be buying anything they can get in hopes of selling it, or trading it for something they need.

It's not a future you have to like, but it is one you probably should be ready for.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Sadly even if everyone quit buying locally it would all just wind up on GunBroker or get shipped out of state. The buyers I know that do gun shows say no one is getting GunBroker prices but some come close. Most of what I've sold like AK ammo under 400/1k went to buyers from San Antonio.

You can either quit shooting or pony up the money. It's almost like when gas went up to $4, no one quit driving to bring the price down. And it's not like there was a supply issue then. I pop in when I can and have done well enough to let some go. For you guys who see it there, buy now or cry later, your choice.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017

no, it's not. I taught economics. I've taught financial classes. False scarcity because of redistributors buying up all of supply and raising prices uniformly is NOT supply and demand. If I was a prick I'd start reporting these assholes to the IRS.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Sadly even if everyone quit buying locally it would all just wind up on GunBroker or get shipped out of state. The buyers I know that do gun shows say no one is getting GunBroker prices but some come close. Most of what I've sold like AK ammo under 400/1k went to buyers from San Antonio.

You can either quit shooting or pony up the money. It's almost like when gas went up to $4, no one quit driving to bring the price down. And it's not like there was a supply issue then. I pop in when I can and have done well enough to let some go. For you guys who see it there, buy now or cry later, your choice.

Gasoline isn't considered a stable good and isn't measured in typical CPI because of it's instability. It's not a measure of normal supply and demand since it's run by a consortium. It's an example of price fixing.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I know gas is a bad example but the shooting sports will always be a pay to play system. If you're waiting for 223 to get back to 25 cpr you will probably be waiting for many years to come. At first I tried to discourage people from buying 10mm ammo just to have some but in these times it's better to come to the table with some chips rather than none at all.

When it's there, I'll be buying my limit of any reasonably priced ammo I can use.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Ive been able to get ammo decently priced by using ammo seek alerts. LGS ammo prices vary but common calibers are all very expensive right now.

Academy isnt worth it atleast in Sherman. The gun counter guy said they get trucks in two days of the week and the same group of people are out there at 5am on delivery days waiting to buy alot of it then resell it at gun shows to dumbasses who will pay astronomically high prices

miniion26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2020
    Highlands
    no, it's not. I taught economics. I've taught financial classes. False scarcity because of redistributors buying up all of supply and raising prices uniformly is NOT supply and demand. If I was a prick I'd start reporting these assholes to the IRS.
    You've lost me at "If I was a prick I'd start reporting these assholes to the IRS".
    There is no such thing as "false scarcity".
    Ammunition plants along with their supply chain from one end to the other operating under covid restrictions, that is real. We know that because they said so, publicly.
    The market for ammo is much bigger than before with millions of new shooters who have no inventory, pure and simple. Demand will outstrip supply for at least 2 years, I think, and it's nothing like the previous ammo shortages that we've had.
    Think about it for a second: over 5 million new owners. If they are trying to buy, say, 300 rds each, that is , what, a billion and a half rounds!
    And if we've learned something is that everyone likes to have a sizeable stash for their guns.
    False scarcity.....
    I don't have a problem with the way Capitalism works, at its best or its worst. The other systems are far worse. At least this one works. I just have to pay more to enjoy target shooting. Ammo is out there.

Last edited:

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    If anything, the situation will get worse as the Democrats ramp up their anti-gun measures. After Sandy Hook and the anti-gun noises by Obama in its wake, the '12-'13 ammo crunch kicked off. So, in addition to the current ammo issue, there will be a bigger run on ammo to stock up before new legislation is even out of committee let alone passed.

Here is a question: If Mexico does not sell much ammo and we are experiencing an ammo crunch then where are the cartels getting their ammo? Could that be why so many smurfs are in line for so long? Because the cartels will pay even more for ammunition?

Top Bottom