• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    So what do you think abbot can do about the homeless situation? I'm open minded. I've just never heard or have seen any good options that work.

Serious be realistic, I'd love to hear a plan.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
    Run them off to somewhere else. Don’t really give two shits where they go. You can not help 95% of them. You can make Texas a less desirable destination for them to shit in the street and assault folks who don’t pony up enough spare change to them.
    Capitol Armory ad

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    What can be done is make it less appealing again to be homeless. Not easy and pain free.

Make the homeless camps move back out of sight

Make panhandling a crime again. I would much rather some loon that wants to be a bum end up in jail over some pot smoker.

And forget the fines make them do community service and pick up all the crap left by the encampments.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    My solution to the Homeless issue.
    All them need to be rounded up every morning and made to clean up their camping areas. Retired Marine DI's get hired for this job. Then after that morning policing the area, depending on each ability and possible job skills, they are sent off to police streets trash, mow city property, paint curbs, replace street signs, work on city works pouring concrete, making sidewalks, etc.

The city pays them a decent wage for the work once a week with all taxes, Social Security, Medicare, etc taken out. Once they have been doing this continuously for six months they are eligible to buy a health insurance policy directed by some insurance company that is contracted to provide basic health coverage at very low rate. (Incentive to insurance company is they get to write off losses)

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    My solution to the Homeless issue.
    All them need to be rounded up every morning and made to clean up their camping areas. Retired Marine DI's get hired for this job. Then after that morning policing the area, depending on each ability and possible job skills, they are sent off to police streets trash, mow city property, paint curbs, replace street signs, work on city works pouring concrete, making sidewalks, etc.

The city pays them a decent wage for the work once a week with all taxes, Social Security, Medicare, etc taken out. Once they have been doing this continuously for six months they are eligible to buy a health insurance policy directed by some insurance company that is contracted to provide basic health coverage at very low rate. (Incentive to insurance company is they get to write off losses)
    That sounds like a job. And they don't want that.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    If Abbott was smart he would build extra free shit homeless camps right in front of the mayors house and all city council members homes.
    DPS could hand out drugs confiscated for court case evidence that are no longer needed there.
    Free beer on Saturday and Wednesday.

Awfully difficult, he (Adler) lives on the 26th floor of a luxury condo building on Lavaca — assessed @ $3.9 million. It’s the private part of the W Austin, 1 block North of City Hall.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    OTOH........Community First by Loaves and Fishes seems to be having some success.
    The idiots in charge of Austin aren't interested in viable solutions.

I recall when Leslie came to town and the public outrage at his antics was met with typical Austin ‘celebrate weird’ mindset of the council.
    This isn't just Austin being weird; it's Austin becoming L.A.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    So what do you think abbot can do about the homeless situation? I'm open minded. I've just never heard or have seen any good options that work.

Serious be realistic, I'd love to hear a plan.

Almost all the "homeless" live that lifestyle because they chose to. Either through drugs and/or mental illness. Those that are mentally ill have quit taking their meds and turned to unlicensed street corner pharmacists.

As long as they are not willing to help themselves there's not much we can do. Many of them make a decent living panhandling, but they chose to spend it on drugs or alcohol. If you look to cities like Portland or Seattle, where recreational pot is legal they had huge influxes of "homeless" when it was legalized. Being that these are Liberal cities they then start giving the handouts to the "homeless" which makes it more attractive. Kind of like taking a shit on your dining room table then pouring honey over it.

When I lived in Portland they quit enforcing the law against camping on the sidewalks. In the area where I worked the sidewalks were crammed with the tents of the "homeless" as well as their cars and campers. They even had "homeless" living on boats on the Willamette river.

I thought they should take those street cleaning trucks and go through those areas at around 0300. Point the water nozzle at the sidewalk and let 'er rip.

The only solution is to make it hard to live their lifestyle. Arrest them for panhandling, make them do public service, outlaw camping in public. Hell, in Portland in the downtown area you can hardly walk down the sidewalk due to all the "homeless" sitting around. Make that illegal. Don't give them anything but a hard time. Screw Liberal "compassion", give them some tough love.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    re: Compassion.

Being compassionate ≠ enabling or supporting destructive behaviors.

One does not give alcohol to the alcoholic, nor drugs to the drug addict.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    All productive people 'move out' of all cities - leave it to the plague rat humans.

Eventually, they'll die off without free shit handouts.....

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    That''s a man or something.
    I am not going to argue with that. It's also one half of the WA Senator "brain trust". Maria Cantwell is the other half. It was SO frustrating, seeing them elected year after year because the west side of the state is nuts (we lived near Spokane, which was largely conservative).

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Awfully difficult, he (Adler) lives on the 26th floor of a luxury condo building on Lavaca — assessed @ $3.9 million. It’s the private part of the W Austin, 1 block North of City Hall.

Its got a front door right?
    Make that commie wade thru human excrement every morning getting to his limo.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Or, folks sporting hazmat suits and Scott air packs (or equivalent) round up the cretins, put them in working chain gangs.

If they refuse to work, send them to mexico.

Everybody wins!

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Hoji nailed it!

I think the majority of the so-called 'homeless' are lazy white dopers and/or the crazy.

Most illegal aliens aren't camping out and shitting on sidewalks or discard syringes here, there and everywhere.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Hate to break it to you but there are very few Mexicans in that homeless population. The overwhelming majority of the street shitting, begging for change, bipedal oxygen thieves are Americans.
    I agree they are Americans. Can't speak for Austin but I can speak for Houston and LA. I'd say the majority are blacks, with white at a distant second place.

The ones that really pissed me off were the "cave men" looking white boys with dread locks. They lived in RVs at the beach. Lived in public parking lots, moving every day, surfed all day. Dumped thier sewage in the street just to surf in it the next day.

You guys are right. There isn't some big scheme that will fix homelessness, but get down to basics. Enforce the laws and standard we are all expected to live by and it will be a good start.

I'd like to see Abbot step up and handle it and some how pass the cost on to Austin.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Can't speak for Austin but I can speak for Houston and LA. I'd say the majority are blacks, with white at a distant second place.
    I would say 10 years ago the majority of homeless people I saw were white, but now I see more black. Don't know what to make of that demographic change. There's also much more overall...

I'm also sure as hell not conducting an official census. I try to just get the hell out of Austin as fast as I can.

Top Bottom