Gun Zone Deals

A word of warning to those plan on bugging out if SHTF.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I do have way more than 30lbs in my pack, I think it's at 50lbs now. I will have most of what I and my family needs in there. If I find it's not worth carrying, then it's easy to discard it. Having too much weight is like having too many clothes on in a winter storm. If you get too hot, shed the weight if it's worth it.

The scenario that you are throwing out is the worst of all situations. Bugging out in the middle of the day in the summer with people shooting at you , while exhausted. Grant it, it's always best to think about those but it's not very likely at my location. I wouldn't bug out unless I had to and I wouldn't do it in the middle of the day if I had a choice. I would wait for the cover of darkness and would go along creeksides and river beds.

I definately agree that people should be in shape if anything were to happen. I used to pack my 70lb pack up and down the hillcounty but I haven't in a while. I hit the treadmill indoors when the summer heat hits , but I also work outside all day so my body has seen plenty of it.

I have everything I need where I'm at including a 10,000g water collection system. I don't want to leave but you can better believe I have plan to I'm forced out by a threat

I think everyone has to look at their own circumstances and figure what stuff and what angles to take.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I do have way more than 30lbs in my pack, I think it's at 50lbs now. I will have most of what I and my family needs in there. If I find it's not worth carrying, then it's easy to discard it. Having too much weight is like having too many clothes on in a winter storm. If you get too hot, shed the weight if it's worth it.

The scenario that you are throwing out is the worst of all situations. Bugging out in the middle of the day in the summer with people shooting at you , while exhausted. Grant it, it's always best to think about those but it's not very likely at my location. I wouldn't bug out unless I had to and I wouldn't do it in the middle of the day if I had a choice. I would wait for the cover of darkness and would go along creeksides and river beds.

I definately agree that people should be in shape if anything were to happen. I used to pack my 70lb pack up and down the hillcounty but I haven't in a while. I hit the treadmill indoors when the summer heat hits , but I also work outside all day so my body has seen plenty of it.

I think everyone has to look at their own circumstances and figure what stuff and what angles to take.
    The Army after EXHAUSTIVE tests and analysis calls it at 20% of body weight is sustained carry. That is 40 lbs for a 200 lb man. At 50 lbs you are not all that far off.

So what do you really need to carry? This somewhat depends on where you live, be it Phoenix-Sonoran Desert or East Texas. In one area you don't drive across town without a gal of water on board and in the other a small canteen is more than ample due to the high water tables, springs and lakes.

Your NUMBER 1 concern is WATER. Get that solved and now you ruck becomes easy. You will need about 1 weeks worth of foodstuffs for you and your group. That weight can be spread among them. If after one week you have not developed a food plan then I suggest you head back as fast as you can. If you are lucky and have a good hunting dog like I do then my load is reduced as ole Buddy is find game and that coon dog will be my signal to go shoot it.

I strongly feel your NUMBER 1 item to bring after food and water is a good MULTIPURPOSE fixed blade knife. I carry a Puma White Hunter, one of the very best knife designs ever, its been on my hip since '67.

Next on my list is a gun and unless you like the OP are planning on engaging hordes of bad guys I would pick a Ruger 10/22 it will do anything you want to survive.

After that its mostly up to you as the chances are you will begin throwing it away as soon as you cross the curb in front of the house or hit the trail head. 98% will carry more gear than they will ever use or can use and its weight will takes it toll.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I hear you on the weight. All of my family have their own packs filled with their own needs. They have their own ammo and gear/guns. I don't plan on stepping out of my house and running to west Texas. I'm 6'3 215lbs and climb ladders all day and work in the heat with gear attached to me and at a break neck pace. If it comes down to having to sprint out the door to escape a hostile situation, I will strip down to bare necessities with my battle pack and burn ass out the door.

All of my issues in my pack (for the most part) are solved...from water down to blades with an Eickhorn KM4000 on the list. There are many spring fed creeks in the hill country and my topigraphical maps can help with the ones that I don't already know about.

I have 3 DDR Shepherds that will provide for themselves and help with our needs as well. They have their own packs that I take hiking with us when I go for hikes up our near mountain roads

I've carried my pack many times with it much heavier than it is now at 50lbs , so it will probably take a lot more than a curb that I don't have out here in the country, for me to start stripping my pack. I'm not trying to be a hero and cover 8 miles in a day...my trek will be methodical to my secondary location that is within 18 miles. You make valid points that I have already addressed.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I did 17 miles in a day with 60 pounds. Was entirely miserable. Now I hike with 35 pounds but its good to know I can do 50/60 AND make good distance if needed.

Man I hope it never gets bad. I don't want to bug out...or in.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I hear you on the weight. All of my family have their own packs filled with their own needs. They have their own ammo and gear/guns. I don't plan on stepping out of my house and running to west Texas. I'm 6'3 215lbs and climb ladders all day and work in the heat with gear attached to me and at a break neck pace. If it comes down to having to sprint out the door to escape a hostile situation, I will strip down to bare necessities with my battle pack and burn ass out the door.

All of my issues in my pack (for the most part) are solved...from water down to blades with an Eickhorn KM4000 on the list. There are many spring fed creeks in the hill country and my topigraphical maps can help with the ones that I don't already know about.

I have 3 DDR Shepherds that will provide for themselves and help with our needs as well. They have their own packs that I take hiking with us when I go for hikes up our near mountain roads

I've carried my pack many times with it much heavier than it is now at 50lbs , so it will probably take a lot more than a curb that I don't have out here in the country, for me to start stripping my pack. I'm not trying to be a hero and cover 8 miles in a day...my trek will be methodical to my secondary location that is within 18 miles. You make valid points that I have already addressed.
    HK, got to say I think you are in excellent shape, you are thinking and talking smart, nothing so outrageous that it fails the basic good sense test like gonna carry 7 long rifles, 3 pistols and 10,000 rds of ammo and your ruck is still going to only weight in at 35 lbs along with enough food and water for 2 weeks ( YES that is a real post and he was not kidding). Your travel times are logical and anyone following you won't get much left behind to pick up. You gonna make it...

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    With a bunch of small children our only shot if we had to leave would be by vehicle. So we have had to focus on that reality.

For us, leaving would take an extreme event for that to be a good option. We would look for warning signs of any extreme events and leave ahead of them if at all possible.

Just something to think about.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think the key for most, in most situations is to bug in. Lay low, don't appear as a target but if attacked make anyone who attacks pay severely. Violence of action. Although I do contend that IF you can get the jump on traffic, do get out. However, expect roads to be quickly clogged or roadblocked. What a mess.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I think the key for most, in most situations is to bug in. Lay low, don't appear as a target but if attacked make anyone who attacks pay severely. Violence of action. Although I do contend that IF you can get the jump on traffic, do get out. However, expect roads to be quickly clogged or roadblocked. What a mess.

Yeah, bugging in is best if you're not in a large city...or even laying low for a couple of weeks if you are, until the clogged arteries are open. I'm afraid my huge 10,000g water collection tank could make me a target, even in the country; so I've been working on ways to conceal it and looking at items to patch it if it were shot or sprung a leak. golf tees with plumbers putty seems to be the solution. :cool:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

I agree. Why does it have to be on foot in the middle of the day in the summer? This is why I have fuel and barrels in reserve.

On the other hand, an on-foot bugout might be a fun game. Kind of like an endurance race.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    You run out of gas. I don't. Er...well you know what I mean!

Bikes are a good way to transport but then you have to stay on decent surfaces and can leave you vulnerable. I guess it all depends on the situation though.
    The bike transported lots of troops in WW1 & 2 .

I think we all need to go in on a group buy for Unimogs :D.
    bkxh.jpg

Last edited:

bluesboyk3

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    houston
    nice read. i took a carbine course and due to insecurity about class members' skill level, i wore a lv2 vest, plate carrier with ceramic plates front and back. After 5-6 hours, my ribs felt compressed and got really fatigued - that's not even with hydration pack. It's still good realistic training and i definitely know and have to improve on my limitations.

Ghosty1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Beaumont
    Excellent thread!
    I pretty much plan to bug in as well, if even remotely possible. I do have evac plans, and supplies at hand.
    I have little to no backpacking/hiking experience...ex Navy here, flotation, i got covered!
    in fact, i just did order my first backpack (hasnt arrived yet). it seems smallish to me, but this may be a good thing. its swedish mil surp. 30l, 30 litres i guess? steel frame, but its small so i am guessing weight wise it will same as these towering aluminum framed packs i see.
    wife has one of those, and all sorts of web belts/straps/extensions/ et al. its funny. im sure kitchen sink is in there.
    i do realize and plan to travel light, if at all, she has never walked a block with her rig, and the first time will be the last, i promise!
    this leads me to next solicitation for thoughts, transportation. this has been touched on, but i kinda want to see what you guys come up with given a more specific ... you know what i mean lol. cant think of word right now....
    i think bicycle is highly underrated as well.
    still, motorized transport, IF POSSIBLE is a huge help even if can only help till fuel runs out.
    here is what i have.
    full size z71 4X4 w/ bed box. i CAN take the kitchen sink in that thing, and its packed up and ready to do so.
    but, same old problems. what to do when fuel runs out? off road? is it REALLY going to be enough to get me off the clogged up roads? i doubt it. full size means wooded areas etc out of question. it IS difficult to get it stuck, esp if you have a bit of off roading skill, but get stuck it WILL, eventually.
    i guess my question is, noting these limitations, a motor vehicle still has some use, perhaps even necessary.
    i even think there is another thread about this scenario, but it was basically to deuce 1/2 or not to deuce 1/2?
    i personally think that is even worse than a full size pick up truck....
    so, what is the best bug out vehicle? jeep, suzuki samurai? pick up?
    lets try to stay realistic here-no tanks or deuce 1/2 please!

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    If you think you can live off the land at the same time several million people are competing with you for scant resources, you're dreaming. My brother, my friends and I took dozens of hunting trips into the mountains of British Columbia over the years. I know what it's like to live out of a pack for days on end, it ain't easy and we had the benefit of resupply at our base camp. The only carnivores we had to deal with were the numerous Grizzly and Black bears, and the rare Mountain Lion. Imagine trying to survive on what you can carry knowing that there will be ambushes waiting for you at every water hole? Bugging out to a remote location with cached supplies is risky and in reality is still "bugging in"....with fewer resources available. I think too many people have a romantic albeit mis-guided notion of "I'm gonna be the next Jeremiah Johnson"! Bugging in won't be easy either...you must be prepared for all-round defense 24/7 with the knowledge that people will snipe at you any time you expose any portion of your body. You will need to "rule the night" and sweep the surrounding area of threats to keep the enemy on the defensive.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    If you think you can live off the land at the same time several million people are competing with you for scant resources, you're dreaming. My brother, my friends and I took dozens of hunting trips into the mountains of British Columbia over the years. I know what it's like to live out of a pack for days on end, it ain't easy and we had the benefit of resupply at our base camp. The only carnivores we had to deal with were the numerous Grizzly and Black bears, and the rare Mountain Lion. Imagine trying to survive on what you can carry knowing that there will be ambushes waiting for you at every water hole? Bugging out to a remote location with cached supplies is risky and in reality is still "bugging in"....with fewer resources available. I think too many people have a romantic albeit mis-guided notion of "I'm gonna be the next Jeremiah Johnson"! Bugging in won't be easy either...you must be prepared for all-round defense 24/7 with the knowledge that people will snipe at you any time you expose any portion of your body. You will need to "rule the night" and sweep the surrounding area of threats to keep the enemy on the defensive.
    WHOA there Sap, you are clearly talking smart and know what you are talking about, lot of folks not going to want to hear...in fact I know a forum that your post would almost be deleted and you would be attacked and flamed like you have never seen...ask me how I know.

I would tell most folks to stay in if you can and you do not live in collective housing. Hence my advice to everyone, move outside the city limits. That said I would certainly have a plan to get the hell out of dodge if nothing goes well where you are at. Something to give consideration to. If you have to leave unless your choice of a location is a long, very long ways off I would plan on going by foot. If you are leaving, you can bet a lot of others are too, now you got a traffic issue and to compound, you are running down the road with a load of gear that the unprepared suddenly may want.

As for bicycles, ATV's, and the assorted 4x4 rigs, most won't do much other than get you to the trail head, at that point its either on foot or if you have to go by vehicle then my choice would be a Jeep, anything else is only gonna let you down. And even that Jeep is gonna run out of gas.

Top Bottom