• ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Here's a question to ponder on.

Is it better to do the right thing, for the wrong reasons, or to do the wrong thing, for the right reasons?

Seems like a fairly simple question, and for what many might consider a fairly simple answer. But IMO, I think it's much more complex than a simple answer, and could involve much deeper thoughts into how, or why we might answer that question. Maybe it all depends upon the unique circumstances of a given situation.

Thoughts?
    Orthodoxy vs orthopraxy...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Determined by the circumstances of the situation at the time.

If that's your basis, then you're starting on a shaky moral foundation. Morally right has to be right no matter the situation....else it's not morally right. Tha why it is sometimes right to kill....but it's never right to murder.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If that's your basis, then you're starting on a shaky moral foundation. Morally right has to be right no matter the situation....else it's not morally right. Tha why it is sometimes right to kill....but it's never right to murder.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
    But different people from different backgrounds and influences may have different moral foundations.

Here's one to ponder on. Purely a hypothetical because it's impossible.

IF you had the opportunity to go back in time, and kill Hitler before he came to power in Germany, being the only person knowing the future, and what Hitler would do, but it would be out-right murder, and you would be prosecuted for murdering Hitler, would you kill him or not?

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    But different people from different backgrounds and influences may have different moral foundations.

Here's one to ponder on. Purely a hypothetical because it's impossible.

IF you had the opportunity to go back in time, and kill Hitler before he came to power in Germany, being the only person knowing the future, and what Hitler would do, but it would be out-right murder, and you would be prosecuted for murdering Hitler, would you kill him or not?
    Hey Axe,

Go down that rabbit hole?

Mayhaps most of Europe (those not in the GULAG) would be speaking Russian??

Yikes! (Hitler murdered 6 million. Stalin...at least 20 million! Possibly 50 millions??)

As to your original question...

Do GOOD for GOOD reasons..

Not out of "rote/blind obedience".

Even slaves work when whipped....

Later, Mark

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Hey Axe,

Go down that rabbit hole?

Mayhaps most of Europe (those not in the GULAG) would be speaking Russian??

Yikes! (Hitler murdered 6 million. Stalin...at least 20 million! Possibly 50 millions??)

As to your original question...

Do GOOD for GOOD reasons..

Not out of "rote/blind obedience".

Even slaves work when whipped....

Later, Mark
    That is very interesting.

I do agree with, do good things, for good reasons. I think most people with a moral compass would agree. That is why I liked @toddnjoyce's answer to the thread.

Let's take my hypothetical scenario a step further. If you could go back in time, kill Hitler and Stalin, would you do it?

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    That is very interesting.

I do agree with, do good things, for good reasons. I think most people with a moral compass would agree. That is why I liked @toddnjoyce's answer to the thread.

Let's take my hypothetical scenario a step further. If you could go back in time, kill Hitler and Stalin, would you do it?
    Hey Axe,

Never gave it much thought??

I'm thinkin' (ooooh that always hurtz my fool haid)....if someone/anyone would go back to murder Hitler/Stalin/Mao .... as much as we think that might be a "good thing"?

Something/someone WORSE could well be "installed".....

I think? We all have enough on our own "plates".....

Brother Paul had this to say in his epistle to the Philippians...

So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;

Most days? We make choices that affect others...sometimes adversely.......(oh, I could not be bothered to look at my tires before speeding down the highway....) others? almost by "compulsion" doing something to help a person...with no thought of reward.

A friend of mine Prays before every activity. (he was on Mission Fields a couple times)...

We have all seen the bumper sticker: WWJD?

Nice sentiment...totally irrelevant.

At Christ's time, when He Prayed....part of His Prayer? ".............THY WILL be DONE...."

What would Christ have me do? That. Is the question.

Later, Mark

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Hey Axe,

Never gave it much thought??

I'm thinkin' (ooooh that always hurtz my fool haid)....if someone/anyone would go back to murder Hitler/Stalin/Mao .... as much as we think that might be a "good thing"?

Something/someone WORSE could well be "installed".....

I think? We all have enough on our own "plates".....

Brother Paul had this to say in his epistle to the Philippians...

So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;

Most days? We make choices that affect others...sometimes adversely.......(oh, I could not be bothered to look at my tires before speeding down the highway....) others? almost by "compulsion" doing something to help a person...with no thought of reward.

A friend of mine Prays before every activity. (he was on Mission Fields a couple times)...

We have all seen the bumper sticker: WWJD?

Nice sentiment...totally irrelevant.

At Christ's time, when He Prayed....part of His Prayer? ".............THY WILL be DONE...."

What would Christ have me do? That. Is the question.

Later, Mark
    And there lays the complexity of the scenario, and the paradox as some might call it.

Killing Hitler, Stalin and Mao, might save lives, but on the other hand, maybe it would given rise and opportunity to someone even more evil in their place.

I do like your thoughts on this, and they are very close to mine as well.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Killing one person wont erase history. Those people were a product of the situation and took advantage of the situation. There were dozens of men just like them in their inner circles, any one of which would have taken advantage of the situation, that's what evil does.

Killing Hitler or learning from the situation, which is the greatest good that we can do today. You would have a full time job killing evil mass murderers in the first 3/4 of the 20th century.

Erasing history only doom repetition.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom