• ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Here's a question to ponder on.

Is it better to do the right thing, for the wrong reasons, or to do the wrong thing, for the right reasons?

Seems like a fairly simple question, and for what many might consider a fairly simple answer. But IMO, I think it's much more complex than a simple answer, and could involve much deeper thoughts into how, or why we might answer that question. Maybe it all depends upon the unique circumstances of a given situation.

Thoughts?
    Gun Zone Deals

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    By what criteria are you determining the right thing and the right reasons?

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
    Determined by the circumstances of the situation at the time.

Not for sure there is a right or wrong answer to this question, but I do like @toddnjoyce's reply, "Never cede the moral highground" as being a great answer.

I see this as more a philosophical question, and more about a discussion about morality and ethics.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Do what's right and be prepared for the consequences, because we all know that no good deed goes unpunished.
    Do the right thing
    One of the life lesson's my father taught us growing up, that doing the right thing sometimes was the more difficult choice to make, and that sometimes it did carry it's own consequences.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    This is a difficult question.

"Do the right thing for the wrong reasons" - I'm having a hard time coming up with an example, I guess, unless maybe we'll say the next GOP Presidential Candidate comes out and says "we need to repeal the NFA, the Federal Firearms Act, the Gun Control Act of 1968, and every gun law since. We also need Federal recognition of the individual right to bear arms without permit." and their reasoning is 100% to pander to the libertarian and pro-gun base, and they don't give a damn about liberty or gun rights, only getting votes. Regardless of the individual motivation, its the right thing to do.

Doing the wrong thing for the "right" reasons - that's a scarier one. They could argue that Bo Jiden and his vaccine mandates is doing the wrong thing, but he *could* theoretically believe in his heart of hearts that its the only way to end the China Flu "pandemic" and so he's shitting on liberty in the name of saving lives.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey Axe Man,

This here C.S. Lewis feller....he has an example....of just that thang!

C.S. Lewis

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”​

― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    depends on what those words mean to you, Axxe.

We are all scum. Jesus was the only person who was perfect. The best choice we can make is don’t sin from our anger and when our character is tested we block out the voice of the devil. When it gets tested, money, material things, don’t have any bargaining power. So whatever answer you think you need, you will know.

ETH77

ZAP Rules
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2008
    Houston
    Hey Axe Man,

This here C.S. Lewis feller....he has an example....of just that thang!

C.S. Lewis

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”​

― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)
    This absolutely covers the discussion. Those who read my comments will see ZAP rules under my avatar. ZAP stands for Zero Aggression Principle. Under ZAP one may NEVER initiate force. Basically the bad guy draws first, but upon the BG initiating force, then I’m going to use whatever force I deem necessary to defend myself. In other words, when someone pisses you off, don’t reach for a weapon. If they reach for a weapon, it’s another story.

“For their own good” is just another form of aggression.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    This absolutely covers the discussion. Those who read my comments will see ZAP rules under my avatar. ZAP stands for Zero Aggression Principle. Under ZAP one may NEVER initiate force. Basically the bad guy draws first, but upon the BG initiating force, then I’m going to use whatever force I deem necessary to defend myself. In other words, when someone pisses you off, don’t reach for a weapon. If they reach for a weapon, it’s another story.

“For their own good” is just another form of aggression.
    I think you are misunderstanding the premise of the question.

This isn't about self defense or aggression.

It's about ethics, morality, and principles.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

Is it better to do the right thing, for the wrong reasons, or to do the wrong thing, for the right reasons?

Seems like a fairly simple question, and for what many might consider a fairly simple answer. But IMO, I think it's much more complex than a simple answer, and could involve much deeper thoughts into how, or why we might answer that question. Maybe it all depends upon the unique circumstances of a given situation.

Thoughts?
    Isn't that a question that politicians ask themselves? Of course, they often think of what is right for themselves. Depends on whom determines what is right or wrong.

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    F048AB30-7FA7-499D-A5B6-23C9265C8015.jpeg

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

Thoughts?
    Whatcha drinkin?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Next you will want to discuss predestination doctrine.

Can man really have free will if he is predestined.

Top Bottom