• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2023
    Plano/Frisco
    I was in Academy looking at some 9mm and I was talking to someone about the prices going up on 556 and it being hard to find
    He has a KP-9 9mm AK pistol and was looking at getting a 556 Polish Hellpup pistol, but due to the coming 556 shortage he may get a pistol in 7.62x39 instead
    The question he asked me -- would 7.62x39 be considered "common ammo"
    I think we covered it before, but I can't find it
    Would 7.62x39 be considered "common ammo" on the U.S. battlefield

I think the answe is it depends. There are probably millions of ak 47s and skss in the US. It's likely c9mmon enough that some manufacturers will always make ammo for it.
    Lynx Defense

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I think 5.56 is the most common, and the most popular, but 7.62X39 is pretty close. There's something like 20mm AR-15 rifles out there (the larger manufacturers are churning out close to 1mm annually each) and untold millions of AKs in America as well - there were something like 1mm coming in annually prior to the Clinton-era bans.
    I've been trying to decide for years if I should concentrate on 5.56 or 7.62X39, and still haven't decided!

Eli
    I should disclose, my favorite 'modern' rifle is the Galil, which is AK-based but in 5.56 usually. Of course, building from a parts kit, 7.62X39 is easy, allows for AK magazines, etc.
    7.62x39 is Cold War era ammo used by by the far east.
    Between the US banning import and most countries using NATO or the current Russian poison bullet 5.45x39, I would say it’s no longer common.

Even the Taliban are using NATO rounds now, as well as Mexico drug cartels.

That does not mean 7.62x39 is obsolete, but it’s like the .40 S&W, it’s hay day is over.
    The Taliban and cartels use what they can get their hands on, the Taliban was gifted billions of dollars in NATO weapons and munitions and cartels can have Americans buy stuff for them.
    Still a LOT of 7.62x39 rifles out there. I see ammo being plentiful for quite some time.
    7.62X39 rifles outnumber 5.56 rifles somewhere between 25:1 and to 50:1, 7.62X39 ain't going anywhere any time soon - it'll likely be on battlefields 200 years from now with special 250th anniversary AK-47s.
    I have an ammo container marked ...7.62X39 1500 rounds $100.00 that I bought years ago......still has the 1500 rounds of Chinese steel core in it....I'm sure several of us has such items we rat holed away.....
    That was expensive!
    With the 556 in short supply and prices going up is it still worth getting a Polish 556 Hellpup

There are several ammo makers who are making brass cased 7.62x39. Saw some S&B a while back. ie, before the Russian war started.
    I have S&B steel-cased 7.62X39 that was imported during one of the ammo bans in the '90s, commercial brass 7.62X39 is cheaper than 7.62 NATO and nobody questions the viability of 7.62 NATO.
    Virtually all 7.62x39 is imports. All imports are one executive order away from ending.

Fwiw, aim has brass .223 and steel case 7.62x39 for the same price. At that point .223 makes more sense
    AIM ain't cheap.
    Hey, I'm only 45, going on 15. Not THAT old...
    You're a little younger than me, but not much!
    When I bought my first Norinco w/ milled receiver AK in ~1993, it $400, and 1440 rounds was $79.
    That was $$$ for that rifle, too.
    He who hesitates is lost?
    It's a lot easier to spend $20 when you have $100 than spend $1 when you have none.

Eli

Target Sports USA

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2022
    Top Bottom