• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Those are the shit. I love them for my 6.5 Grendel rounds too. They shoot great, they easily kill deer. The 123gr Amax's were marginally better, but Hornady quit making them.

I use the SST in all my hunting loads.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    A little late to start stocking up. With Russia ban on 7.62x39 prices are probably never going down. PSA I thought was going to make steel ammo, there is brass ammo available but pricey. On the other hand what I consider pricey may be a bargain next year. As a good Boy Scout said, plan ahead.

I knew an old man that once told me guns and ammo might be more "expensive" today than it was yesterday, but it won't be as inexpensive down the road as it is today. Get what you can.

His M1 Garand is still here.

thequintessentialman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    Was in the local Academy recently, they seemed to be as stocked on 5.56/.223 as anything else. Forgot to check specifically 7.62rusky but think I saw some.

One train of thought, and saw this play out in the last ammo shortage; in shortages the more obscure will be available longer than the popular sizes. Back when we were waiting weeks to get a ration of 9mm, 40sw, or 45acp, the shelves had 10mm sitting there as well as other more obscure rounds.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Correct. None common popular or military and police ammo doesn’t sell like 10mm or 44 mag. Why I stocked up on 44 mag during Covid.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    ...556 and it being hard to find...
    Why do you think it is hard to find? It seemingly is available everywhere, you just have to pay the price. Take a look at Ammoseek.com: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/5.56x45mm-nato?sh=high Those at the link are just the sites that are listed on ammoseek that have mid-level (#5) to excellent shipping prices ( #'s 8, 9 or F as in free). The higher the number is signifies the better the shipping price. Looking in Academy is not the way to go if your friend is buying in bulk. If your friend is worried about having enough ammo for the world war that Biden seems to possibly be about to get us ensnared in, then your friend should be buying in bulk now while it is available. If your friend is concerned in that regard, then your friend should also be buying spare spring & parts kits for his/her rifles, extra cleaning supplies, body armor, needed accessories, long term storage food as in nonperishable food, water purification systems, medicine, other medical supplies, portable shelter, batteries, flashlights, gold bullion, silver bullion, and on and on and on.:m16:

Last edited:

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    Why do you think it is hard to find? It seemingly is available everywhere, you just have to pay the price. Take a look at Ammoseek.com: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/5.56x45mm-nato?sh=high Those are just the sights on ammoseek that have mid-level to excellent shipping prices (the higher the number, the better the shipping price). Looking in Academy is not the way to go if your friend is buying in bulk. If your friend is worried about having enough ammo for the world war that Biden seems about to get us ensnared in, then your friend should be buying in bulk now while it is available.
    He's looking at a 5.56 AK pistol and has ordered 4 420rd 556 ammo cans

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Everything sells out eventually. But NATO calibers are (almost) always the first to come back in stock
    They're also about the one thing ammo manufactures will manufacture during a shortage. Why bother setting up machines for oddball or less popular calibers when you are pretty much guaranteed to sell every round of 5.56 and 9mm that you make?

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I stocked 556 m193 ball.

And I have a lot of 7.62x39 for my SKS because I like the caliber, I can get it at academy for plinking.

It’s similar enough to 30-30 to take a deer if I wanted.

I wouldn’t go all in on 7.62x39, but have a sks, it doesn’t require magazines and is easy to maintain. I enjoy the hell out of mine.

Reactions: Eli

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    unnamedb6s2.png

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I was in Academy looking at some 9mm and I was talking to someone about the prices going up on 556 and it being hard to find
    He has a KP-9 9mm AK pistol and was looking at getting a 556 Polish Hellpup pistol, but due to the coming 556 shortage he may get a pistol in 7.62x39 instead
    The question he asked me -- would 7.62x39 be considered "common ammo"
    I think we covered it before, but I can't find it
    Would 7.62x39 be considered "common ammo" on the U.S. battlefield
    For US battlefields, .58 and .64 were more common...

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Top Bottom