• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knight1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2013
    Houston/Pearland
    I stomped all around those areas. Watch out for DPS on 37. Keep your phone handy for GPS. They love to shut down 35 in Austin for little fender benders. San Antonio 35 is alright, but lots of law enforcement. You may think of shooting out on 410 east/south in SA. It is hot as hell that way so stay hydrated. But definately ride out there.
    Guns International

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I say ride it but it really depends on whether you feel you can handle it. I ride in full gear and sure it gets a little warm right now but as long as you're moving its not terrible. I did right around 450 miles last Saturday on my SV650 and 400 the weekend before that on my CBR...knee's and butt start to get a little sore around the end of the day but nothing terrible. Stay hydrated, cover your skin, and don't rush your gas stops and its not bad at all. For something like you're doing I would spread it across two days and enjoy myself but it can certainly be done in one day with ease.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Rode to san fran from houston, back thru death valley
    Rode from Raleigh, NC back to Houston when I picked up my 'busa
    Ride to new braunsfels to get my bike serviced

4-500mi, no biggie

Take advil before you leave
    Wear bicycle shorts under your jeans

posted from my couch!

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    My question is, how long has it been since you rode longe distance? How often do you ride? How long since your last ride?

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    @matefrio So i see. Can't blame you at all. Is a shame that stop making them. I've always wanted one myself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I hear ya. Actually closer to 440. I 35 south from Ft Worth to San Antonio, then 37 south to Corpus. Weather channel says nice weather Sunday the entire route.

Traffic might be an issue if not downright dangerous on that route on that day. People turn into complete morons on 35 through Austin all the way to San Antonio. Fridays and Sundays are not good days on 35.

There aren't any good days, really, but those seem to be the worst.

Between Austin and SA, expect people to do 80+ until traffic backs up, and then it's panic stops as far as the eye can see.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have taken the trip by car many times. I know several back roads, like the one Matefrio suggested. Take 77 out of Waco and all the way down to either 37 in Corpus or 281 through Portland

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have taken the trip by car many times. I know several back roads, like the one Matefrio suggested. Take 77 out of Waco and all the way down to either 37 in Corpus or 281 through Portland

That's the way I'd probably do it. I rode daily in California traffic* and I'm not too comfortable with the thought of hopping on a bike and riding on Sunday traffic on 35. Definitely wouldn't be a good idea for a weekly rider, IMO.

*On average, one person a day would try hitting me. About one a week was intentional and malicious.

Txpitdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Htown
    Leave early, stay off the interstate, stay hydrated, and TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT! Whenever I take long rides, I just assume I'm going to be on the road all day and don't worry about whether I'm ahead or behind schedule, because I have no schedule.

500 in a day isn't as hard as it sounds if you pace yourself. I've done Houston to Asheville, NC averaging 600 a day, and I've done Houston to Pensacola in a single day. Take your time and make it more about enjoying the ride than just trying to bust ass home all the way.

Good luck and keep the rubber side down!

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    500 miles on a 750 shadow is a very long ride. I used mine to commute to and from Waco a few years ago and 115 at a time is about all I could take. Take breaks and take your time because its gonna get old quick. Just my .02

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I have moved to South Texas. Left the bike in a neighbors garage on moving day. Now I either need to get it here or sell it.

Ride it! The longest day trip I took was 672 miles. Left DFW to OK/AR Talimena and back. As long as you're moving the heat is not an issue. Traffic will be your biggest concern if you hit stalled cars. I use neck coolers to stay cool and keep them in the saddle bag in a iced collapsible cooler. Take three or four so that you cn swap them out and keep them in the cooler to get them cold again. Bring as much water as you can carry. Sun screen - lots of it. Plan your gas stops and I usually have a spare one gallon fuel cell for emergencies. If you do not have a way to charge your cell phone on your bike bring a fully charged extra battery. Tool kit with plug kit.

Got any pics of your bike?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Ride it! The longest day trip I took was 672 miles. Left DFW to OK/AR Talimena and back. As long as you're moving the heat is not an issue. Traffic will be your biggest concern if you hit stalled cars. I use neck coolers to stay cool and keep them in the saddle bag in a iced collapsible cooler. Take three or four so that you cn swap them out and keep them in the cooler to get them cold again. Bring as much water as you can carry. Sun screen - lots of it. Plan your gas stops and I usually have a spare one gallon fuel cell for emergencies. If you do not have a way to charge your cell phone on your bike bring a fully charged extra battery. Tool kit with plug kit.

Got any pics of your bike?

DSC_0096.jpg

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Leave early, stay off the interstate, stay hydrated, and TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT! Whenever I take long rides, I just assume I'm going to be on the road all day and don't worry about whether I'm ahead or behind schedule, because I have no schedule.
    ^^^^ This...

Ride for the joy of it, otherwise it's nothing but transportation. Granted, this isn't the best time of year to spend all day on a hot highway, but with the right gear and regular stops it shouldn't be that bad. Think of it as an adventure - live a little, ride a lot.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    TXI.....if you wanna use my truck this weekend, you're welcome to do so. You could stop by, grab it and leave yours (won't need it - if I need to go somewhere I'll either take the Lincoln or my F450). Grab a trailer, run up an' get the bike, run it to CC, then back up an' get your wheels back.

Top Bottom