• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Guys....really? 500 miles is a big deal? I've done more'n one thousand-mile day, an' even the better half has. When we're touring - an' that's 2-up w/a trailer behind us - our norm is 500 miles/day. Once used to it, not a big deal, really.

When I moved here from California, Did the entire trip from Oceanside to San Antonio, with only Gas stops. Sucked, but made it in less then 24 hours!
    ARJ Defense ad

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    500 will put a hurtin on you no matter what kind of bike you're on. Stopping and stretching every hour or so after you start to feel it will help. I second the back roads, that's the whole point of having a bike (unless you live in the desert of west Texas, which is shit for scenery.) But that will also slow you down some, depending on the route you take. Could easily turn into an ALL day ride. Also have to consider what you're doing the next day. You may be feeling this ride for a couple days. If you have comfort issues with your bike, the trip back may not be very fun.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yeah but TR you're superhuman. The rest of us mortals have to consider basic heat illness prevention for 100* temps and basic physiological function.

Not really.....to be honest, I used to think it was a huge deal. Then, after doing a few, I realized that it really wasn't that big a deal IF you were prepared for it, especially w/regards to equipment. And several of those 1k/days have been in West Texas, Arizona, Utah an' Nevada!

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Been to Vegas and back on a 750. It'll be fine.
    Wind and sun are not your friends. I'd wear long sleeves and gloves.

Pack a rain suit just in case. If it rains, get off the road for the first 1/2 hour or so.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I love my 6 gallon tank, Stereo, and electronic cruise control.. 500+ miles a day is no problem..

My next bike will be a Honda Valkyrie Interstate. I'm done with twins and really want a bigger bike. 100 horse power should do me well. I don't care if I need to buy one that needs an overhaul.

For now I have the best bike I can afford. The Valkyrie, even used, was about 3k too much.

J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Not much to see out there TR so would be a good place to make up some time...

Yall need to get out more.
    I've been coast to coast on the interstates.
    Once you get east of Dallas, it looks the same, all day.
    The southwest is some of everything and a lot of the same.
    The 4 corners area is "day trip" heaven.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Dude - I did coast-to-coast on a Honda 550/4 back in the 70's - back then, that WAS considered a big bike! That 750 of his'll go anywhere in the country he cares to point it!

With today's smooth roads and interstates that go 85 posted a 750 will go there but with my build and two up with baggage I like something more. That and the torque can keep you out of trouble when there is a truck on you butt.

Think clarke was talking about my comment that I don't like twins and my plans are to get an inline.

Clarke, this is why

Last edited:
    Top Bottom