• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squirrel1327

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2024
    Pflugerville
    From an inheritance, I have come across different 556 or 223 rounds. 556 or 223 look right, but there is a can of either 556 or 223 that are longer. Anyone got an idea of what these are? He did have a bolt action Ruger M77 that was sold earlier. Was it specific to that gun?

Attachments

• IMG_7380.jpeg
      IMG_7380.jpeg
      239 KB · Views: 46
    • IMG_7381.jpeg
      IMG_7381.jpeg
      211.5 KB · Views: 44

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    From an inheritance, I have come across different 556 or 223 rounds. 556 or 223 look right, but there is a can of either 556 or 223 that are longer. Anyone got an idea of what these are? He did have a bolt action Ruger M77 that was sold earlier. Was it specific to that gun?
    The 223 round appears to maybe have a "new" primer - it may be a reload and you'll have to decide if you can trust the source knew what he was doing.
    ... They may both be reloads?

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    do not shoot the one where the bullet is set back into the case lmao.

Squirrel1327

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2024
    Pflugerville
    So, I guess I am to the point of, what do I do with these longer ones? I do totally trust my step dad. But I have no need for them as I already sold the bolt action that I am pretty sure he used them in. Is there a market or should I just get rid of them? How ever the hell I do that. Lmao.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    So, I guess I am to the point of, what do I do with these longer ones? I do totally trust my step dad. But I have no need for them as I already sold the bolt action that I am pretty sure he used them in. Is there a market or should I just get rid of them? How ever the hell I do that. Lmao.

Get a bullet puller, take them apart.

Dump the powder and sell the pulled bullets and primed brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Both of those are handloads. Consider them suspect in all ways.

Pull them apart or just throw them out. Components are worth something but may not be worth your time or hassle to deal with.

You could sell them complete to someone that will pull them apart too if it's not something you want to mess with.

Either way it's recommended to not fire any of them or other ammo received with them.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Impossible for me to make out the head stamp. The head stamp will tell you most every thing.
    The invention of reloading many centuries ago made this statement completely untrue.

You know manufacturers use the same cases to load many different types of rounds, right?

Headstamp means absolutely nothing in any context unless you just want to know who made the case. Caliber may not even be correct.

Nofir55

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2016
    Katy Texas
    I see two possibilities:
    1-just pull out the bullets weigh and reload.
    2-load them in a mag and shoot them, if you feel lucky. (or better off be nice and invite your mother in law shooting):what:

Squirrel1327

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2024
    Pflugerville
    One bullet is seated longer and too long for the average AR.
    This is done to get better accuracy in bolt guns. But the distance has to be measured and not just guessed.
    Are there more of the long ones or just the one or a couple?
    I have a whole ammo can of them

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      334.5 KB · Views: 4

Squirrel1327

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2024
    Pflugerville
    Both of those are handloads. Consider them suspect in all ways.

Pull them apart or just throw them out. Components are worth something but may not be worth your time or hassle to deal with.

You could sell them complete to someone that will pull them apart too if it's not something you want to mess with.

Either way it's recommended to not fire any of them or other ammo received with them.
    Ummmm
    I think the rest are good. Just not the longer ones that are in one ammo can.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      341.5 KB · Views: 1

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    One bullet is seated longer and too long for the average AR.
    This is done to get better accuracy in bolt guns. But the distance has to be measured and not just guessed.
    Are there more of the long ones or just the one or a couple?

This is/was also done for ARs with 5.56mm NATO chambers to allow the use of 75-80 grain bullets single loaded on the 600 yard line at High Power matches. I suspect that is what that cartridge was loaded for. The resulting ammo is way over magazine length, and can only be single loaded in an AR-15.

The brass case that this is loaded into appears to have had the primer pocket swaged or reamed to remove the crimp. I'd bet cash money that it's a handload.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    This is/was also done for ARs with 5.56mm NATO chambers to allow the use of 75-80 grain bullets single loaded on the 600 yard line at High Power matches. I suspect that is what that cartridge was loaded for. The resulting ammo is way over magazine length, and can only be single loaded in an AR-15.

The brass case that this is loaded into appears to have had the primer pocket swaged or reamed to remove the crimp. I'd bet cash money that it's a handload.
    Never followed the AR long range deal but whatever it takes.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I see two possibilities:
    1-just pull out the bullets weigh and reload.
    2-load them in a mag and shoot them, if you feel lucky. (or better off be nice and invite your mother in law shooting):what:
    1-clarification: the powder being an unknown variable, weigh the bullet, then reload with a known powder and appropriate powder load.
    2-bonus: I have a mother-in-law that I’d be willing to loan out for this purpose… And I don’t need her to be returned.

Top Bottom