• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I'm considering getting a 45 cal handgun soon and was wondering if I would be limited to certain handguns that can shoot the +Ps? I would like to get a 1911, but my budget is keeping me to polymer handguns. I'm leaning towards the M&P...
    DK Firearms

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    According to the Smith & Wesson manual for the M&P pistol:

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the
    pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures
    may affect the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of safety.
    Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more
    frequent service.
    “Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith &
    Wesson firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that
    it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation
    does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such
    ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated
    and could be DANGEROUS.

So apparently, S&W aren't fans of +P ammo.
    Just curious, why is it so important that the ammo be "+P"?
    Regular .45 ammo has been proven to be quite effective on it's own.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Para Ordnance 1911s have fully suppported barrels which can allow for higher pressure ammo. Velocities up to around 1000 fps have been used with the addition of a stronger recoil spring to keep the slide from battering the frame. As said above though, the .45 ACP does a very good job with normal pressures and velocities. You CAN get more velocity out of a beefed up gun but it will eventually take a toll on the gun. Just my two bits.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Also, If you want a good 1911 at a decent price, Remington has their 1911R1 at nearly the same price point as the S&W .45 M&P.
    The Remington is slightly higher, but not by much (less than a hundred dollars, depending on where you look)!
    I've heard lots of nice things about it, and I'm probably gonna get one myself real shortly here.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    According to the Smith & Wesson manual for the M&P pistol:

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the
    pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures
    may affect the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of safety.
    Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more
    frequent service.
    “Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith &
    Wesson firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that
    it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation
    does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such
    ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated
    and could be DANGEROUS.

So apparently, S&W aren't fans of +P ammo.
    Just curious, why is it so important that the ammo be "+P"?
    Regular .45 ammo has been proven to be quite effective on it's own.

Thanks for the info. As for wanting the +Ps, I never owned a 45 and want to limit my options on ammo.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Thanks for the info. As for wanting the +Ps, I never owned a 45 and want to limit my options on ammo.
    Oh boy! Your first .45!
    You're gonna love it!

As far as ammo goes, regular 230 grain has been the de-facto standard for that caliber for over a hundred years now. Regular 185 grain will get you more velocity and still be fairly hard hitting, without putting undue wear and tear on your slide/springs/etc.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Don't know about the M&P but I've got a friend that has the same Para that I do (a LTC .45 hi-cap) that developed a load close to 1000 fps for. It works very well but needed a 22 lb. spring (I think) rather than the stock 18 lb. to slow down the slide. But it wasn't consistent with regular velocity ammo ('cause of the stronger spring used with the other high pressure round) and would not feed properly 100 percent of the time with standard pressure rounds. Now, if you were going to shoot only +P ammo it would be OK or you could just change springs when you changed ammo (probably a minor inconvenience). It's a lot of gun with +Ps in it! Kinda' like shooting a fat 10mm!

Trogdor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Bryan
    Don't know about the M&P but I've got a friend that has the same Para that I do (a LTC .45 hi-cap) that developed a load close to 1000 fps for. It works very well but needed a 22 lb. spring (I think) rather than the stock 18 lb. to slow down the slide. But it wasn't consistent with regular velocity ammo ('cause of the stronger spring used with the other high pressure round) and would not feed properly 100 percent of the time with standard pressure rounds. Now, if you were going to shoot only +P ammo it would be OK or you could just change springs when you changed ammo (probably a minor inconvenience). It's a lot of gun with +Ps in it! Kinda' like shooting a fat 10mm!

I have a 24# in mine 1911 for when I put 45 super through it or any other hot +P loads but normally I just shoot regular target ammo through it with no issues. Don't limp wrist and it'll feed.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    There is a cartridge which uses .45 ACP chambers and is loaded to much higher pressures. .45 Super. It throws the slug pretty close to 9mm velocities. I think the only polymer pistol that can handle it is HKs offerings.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Guess it depends on your definition of better. Kinda' like how much "more" stopping power is necessary. I think a .45 ACP works just fine. Lot of "unecessary" effort to shoot +P and .45 Super unless maybe it's a hunting situation.

HadEmAll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    If you decide you do want to use +P in your .45, and keep it to testing for function and a magazine full every now and then, you'll never see or notice the additional wear that +P can heap upon a handgun if used in great quantities.

The M&P .45 is a great handgun. I use Federal and Winchester 230 grain +P JHPs in mine, and on occasion Remington 185 grain +P JHP. All those for limited practice and carry. I use any one of a number of 230 FMJ loads for range work.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Modifying the gun and running an roided up version of .45 just isn't a good idea for a carry gun. The .45 Super is a cool round, but it's not really viable beyond hunting and having fun at the range, in my opinion.

The M&P will shoot .45 +P just fine if you so choose. There's not a tremendous difference between the two in a .45 ACP (unlike a .38 Special), so I wouldn't concern yourself with it too much. The little power increase comes with a pretty good bark, but in a full size gun it's no biggie.

Top Bottom