• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I guess I've just been lucky? But in 20 years of loading 45 ACP I have never had any SP 45 cases. Not sure how that happened? Maybe just didn't buy any Federal ammo? ;)

Burke

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Azle
    I've set the small primer stuff aside to load with hollow points for hunting pigs since the brass will inevitably be gone

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    I just shove it all aside in the event that I still need to shoot .45 ACP, but have no more large pistol primers.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The only company I know that makes .45 Auto brass with small pistol primers is Federal/CCI.

They have a unique case forming process that uses far less brass, and it happened just when large pistol primers were almost impossible to find.

They experimented with SPP and found they worked just fine. They just did not advertise this little fact.

Anyone on the firing line would not have noticed either.

Finally, every reloader should sort his brass by head-stamp, ream & clean the primer pocket -- whups -- that's a SPP pocket in a .45 case?

Why the big surprise?

Be well.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Finally, every reloader should sort his brass by head-stamp, ream & clean the primer pocket -- whups -- that's a SPP pocket in a .45 case?

Why the big surprise?

Be well.

If you do that you are probably the only one.

The big surprise is over 100 years of large primers in 45 ACP and now some are small.

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    The only company I know that makes .45 Auto brass with small pistol primers is Federal/CCI.

They have a unique case forming process that uses far less brass, and it happened just when large pistol primers were almost impossible to find.

They experimented with SPP and found they worked just fine. They just did not advertise this little fact.

Anyone on the firing line would not have noticed either.

Why the big surprise?

Be well.

It had nothing to do with large pistol primers being scarce. Federal introduced NT (non toxic or lead free) primers about 10 years ago for handgun ammunition. It was just easier (aka: cheaper) to make .45 brass with sp pockets then make a LP primer in the NT version.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I used to hate small primer 45 but now I just sort it all out and actually prefer the small primer. People usually avoid grabbing it up at the range and I have enough of it to take care of most of my shooting needs. I like not having to switch over my press to a different primer size too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom