• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    There a special place in hell for the one(s) that came up with the idea....

That is all.....
    Lynx Defense

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Yep. Now I have to sort the damn brass a second time. My first experience was trying to shove a large pistol primer into that bastard.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    As I recall, it all began with a new brass extrusion process pioneered by Federal. In the aim to save brass, they hit upon the bright idea that a smaller primer pocket and flash hole would save even more brass, thereby reducing the cost per round. I remember vividly the days when a box of 50 rounds of Federal cost less than ten bucks ($9.97) at Wally.

By golly, the experiment worked wonderfully with small pistol primers.

There you go ... the road to ruin is often paved by good intentions.

On the other hand, if you sort your brass by head stamp, clean it, and give it a quick eyeball, you WILL notice the small primer pockets.

That can be a PIA for range pick-up brass.

Be well.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I like to sort brass by hand. For some reason, it's always been therapeutic for me.

I have stacks of baking pans purchased at the Dollar Store that I use in sorting brass and it really speeds up the process! I try to get all the same size and type of pans as nesting them together saves a lot of room when they're not being used.

For a long time, the small primer brass hit the scrap bucket but recently I began to lay it back for emergency use. Let's hope brass never becomes so scarce that we need to scrounge brass we culled as unusable!

Flash

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    The is a special place in Hell for the jackhole who decided this was a good idea.

Does it work? Yes, but it is an unneccessary PITA.

When sorting my .45 brass, I take a sharpie and black out the head stamp so I can quickly identify those cases and not worry about setting of a primer while trying to stuff a large pistol primer in a small primer hole, which has happened to me when priming brass.

Fortunately, I handle primers one at a time so I don't run the risk of another chain reaction of primers in a feed tube, which did happen to me years ago. I was not hurt, but it left irreparable brown stains in my shorts. Not something I'd like to experience again.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    No biggie
    I sort for primer size before i even clean

I usuually leave it aside for trading

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    As I recall, it all began with a new brass extrusion process pioneered by Federal. In the aim to save brass, they hit upon the bright idea that a smaller primer pocket and flash hole would save even more brass, thereby reducing the cost per round. I remember vividly the days when a box of 50 rounds of Federal cost less than ten bucks ($9.97) at Wally.

By golly, the experiment worked wonderfully with small pistol primers.

There you go ... the road to ruin is often paved by good intentions.

On the other hand, if you sort your brass by head stamp, clean it, and give it a quick eyeball, you WILL notice the small primer pockets.

That can be a PIA for range pick-up brass.

Be well.

Actually the sp case crap started about 10 or so years ago when federal came out with its line of NT (non-toxic) primers. For some stupid reason they only make them is SP and not in LP.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol.

Don't worry, he never posts in a thread more than once so he won't be back to make a counter argument.

Drive by misinformation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Back a few years ago when no .45 ACP brass could be found anywhere, switching entirely to the small primer stuff was a viable option. Throughout that shortage, it was available in bulk at good prices.

Just trying to add a note of positivity...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Back a few years ago when no .45 ACP brass could be found anywhere, switching entirely to the small primer stuff was a viable option. Throughout that shortage, it was available in bulk at good prices.

Just trying to add a note of positivity...
    Trying to hold a turd by the clean end Ben?

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    I thought they came out with the small pistol primer pockets for the .45GAP ammo? I dunno I haven't reloaded .45 since about the time GAP was making it's go rounds. Infact I was inventorying my ammo today and found 350 rounds of probably 11 year old reloads in an ammo can. Guess I need to run that stuff though my S&W 1917 a bit and maybe try my hand at IDPA revovler.

Top Bottom