• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlteisenMkII

Jul 12, 2022
    San Antonio,TX
    I know I had been after S&W 627-5 or a 357 Redhawk for a while now Still debating which would be best overall and reading the back and forth of which is better. But are there any other models or types made by other manufacturers, Current or discontinued? I don't remember if Taurus made one either.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MTA

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have a trr8 performance center smith and it is a badass gun but I think I would prefer a slightly heavier solid barrel gun to it. It's damn near perfect but a 6" solid gun has more appeal to me these days. I've eye balled the 627s for years and I don't think you could go wrong with one.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I had a 627PC for a while. Excellent firearm but have since traded it off.

Few years back I came across a minty Model 27 with 8 3/8 barrel but my friend saw it first. He was hemming and hawwing about it until I told him if he didn't buy it, I would. That lit the fire under his ass and he decided to buy it, mostly out of spite, I reckon. I got first dibs if the bastard ever decides to sell it though.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have the Ruger Redhawk 8 shot 357.

I was the 2nd owner, it was like new condition when I got it it in a trade, (now I know why )

It had a decent trigger but about 2 in 10 shots were light strikes resulting in misfires.
    I sent it in and Ruger sent it back in 10 days with a spring off of a 3/4 ton truck...it went bang every time..but it was un-shootable it was so inaccurate because of the pull.

It sat in my safe for a year while I sulked over it..then I took it to a gunsmith I had found who said he could find a happy medium between trigger pull and reliability

He did a great job.
    The guns action is smooth and it fires every time. No matter the ammo.

All in all, I love the gun, the feel and looks and it's a great shooter

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Friends don’t let friends buy a Taurus… :laughing:

<>

I’d trust my Taurus before my Kimber, any day.

And, this Taurus Executive comes with an extra 9mmPB cylinder:

I have owned several Tauri; ZERO problem with any.

<>

KTXdm9

Aug 9, 2024
    Katy, TX
    Reactions: MTA

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Buy once/ cry once. Just do it right the first time.
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_6244.jpeg

angel71rs

Nov 1, 2009
    El Paso
    Just curious. About the variety. Though I have heard of Taurus's nightmarish customer service line. Don't know if that changed.
    My experience with their CS was excellent. TX22 had a bad barrel, called, they emailed me a label. Sent it in on a Thursday, got email it was shipped the next Friday, in my hands the following Monday. That's better that Smith or Ruger did.

Only thing that's worse is free shipping each way only within 90 days of purchase, so good thing I registered warranty when I bought it.

1st Taurus I bought was a G2C years ago, excellent right out of the box. Since that went well, I got a G3 too and it's been great as well.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Apr 15, 2013
    The only good guns Taurus ever made were the clones they produced from the factories in Brazil they bought from good gun makers. The only exception is the Judge ..that one gun saved them from bankruptcy

After that..well..kinda went to shit
    You want to buy a gun that's worth 50% of what you paid for it the day after ..go ahead

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

<>

I have now, and have owned, several of all those brands. I am telling of my personal experiences. I have no argument for those with different experiences.

it took quite a bit of custom smithing to get my UCDP to run properly.

None of my centerfire Ruger carbines & rifles have given any trouble, just the .22’s. One temporary BushMaster problem turned out to be the magazine from another manufacturer.

So, in my order of confidence; the Python is tops, then S&W’s, etc. Taurus beats Kimber.

Sorry if you don’t like this.

<>

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I've bought bad Taurus pistols but I've never had a bad Kimber 1911. I recognize they're cheap but I'd buy a used Glock before I'd buy another new Taurus. They're just not for me and I don't think I'll ever buy another one.

I know there was a time when Kimber was making bad pistols but I've never bought one. I'm definitely not saying Kimbers are the best either just that the ones I have a great.

Every gun manufacturer is going to put out terrible guns just have to avoid them. I've had bad Ruger pistols too and wont buy anymore except for the 1911.

If Taurus pistols work for you then keep using them. I'll just keep not buying Taurus.

Top Bottom