308 rifles, real world accuracy? What you got?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greg308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2014
    hey yall i have a mossberg 308 win 800a hunting model what kind of upgrades can i do with this? can i make it like the tactical version? just a veteran tryin to get some info

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    I'm not a hunter. If I go hunting it would be deer or hogs around here and probably 200 yards or less. More likely less than 100 yards.

This is my "do everything" the 556 can't do rifle and my SHTF maximum stand off distance rifle.

Mostly I'd probably just use it on the range at Best of the West of course in contemporary reality.

Just get a bolt gun first in 30-06, or .300 win mag. Then you can reach out farther than the effective range of .308 if you wanted. I thought everyone in Texas had at least two or three bolt actions in their home? That is my minimum.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Just get a bolt gun first in 30-06, or .300 win mag. Then you can reach out farther than the effective range of .308 if you wanted. I thought everyone in Texas had at least two or three bolt actions in their home? That is my minimum.

I'm starting to lean that way. I mean... a bolt action won't have the capacity of an M1A and an M1A won't have the accuracy and reliable long range of the bolt action. Something like the Ruger Gunsite Scout is either a great compromise between the two or the worst of both.

Just got thrown some major financial curveballs so the blessing in that is I have more time to decide. Seeing different guns and setups at Hicksville should help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    I'm starting to lean that way. I mean... a bolt action won't have the capacity of an M1A and an M1A won't have the accuracy and reliable long range of the bolt action. Something like the Ruger Gunsite Scout is either a great compromise between the two or the worst of both.

Just got thrown some major financial curveballs so the blessing in that is I have more time to decide. Seeing different guns and setups at Hicksville should help.

If you are the minimalist type, a M1A might be the perfect one all around. What about Sig 716? Their prices are coming down considerably (less than 1,700). They're suppose to be pretty accurate. I don't know if you can beat that price. Nothing wrong with PTR 91, FAL, or M1A, but seriously, they are older designs that are more or less copies of the real thing unless you pay serious $$$ for an original. Like it or not, most of the advances of modern engineering are coming in the AR field. The AK is an older design but it comes at a sweet price point with loads of different options, and it can still get the job done with tons of cheap ammo.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I've had some fun with this guy. Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter 308. Iron sights, threaded barrel, accu trigger, with a Bushnell Elite 3-9x40.

Savage Arms

It's a better rifle than I am a shooter. And costs less than the Ruger.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle

If your plans truly are for longer range shooting and wanting it to be accurate then running the bolt wont slow you down. It takes a little time to recover from recoil and regain sight picture. With some practice you can run the bolt without breaking cheek weld and basically have the same rate of fire as an autoloader. The autoloader will be faster but by much less than you might think with some practice on the bolt gun.

If youre intent on only going with one gun and not doing anything later Id really check into the savage lrp 6.5 creedmoor. Hornady makes great factory ammo for 20 bucks a box and it will run circles around a 308 in every category of ballistics. Only reason I went 308 first was to hone my reloading skills and force myself to learn to read wind better before "cheating" with a better BC round that bucks the wind better. The lrp will run you about a grand but comes with a great stock, good trigger, and factory DBM. Slap a good scope on it and youre done, well a stock pack too as I find it really helps my cheek weld not just in height but my cheek sticks to it versus a hard stock surface.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Back to back Savage recommendations. Thanks for the recommended models. They have a lot of them.

As far as caliber, I suppose I haven't even really considered much outside of 308.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The Hog Hunter is a good gun for its purpose and price from what I've seen but is not known for being a target rifle. It was marketed as a truck gun.

There are some that will print really great groups but it's not really the intended purpose. From your stayed purpose it may be an economical option for what you were looking for accuracy wise.

If you do want smaller groups and the ability to reach out for I would say to move up to one of the savage LE models.

My info is from research before I bought my bolt gun, not personal experience.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    The lrp is essentially savages answer to remingtons r700 5r line. Basically put a better quality barrel than standard on a rifle with a pretty good stock and decent trigger. Its a good formula in the bang for the buck category. Ive got two r700 5Rs, a 308 and 300wm. Theyre both hammers and run great but Remington doesn't offer a 6.5 creedmoor for some idiotic reason and the lrp has made a reputation for itself as a great gun. 308 is great but the 6.5 bore has caught on and for good reason. 308 only beats 6.5 out of short barrels at short ranges, otherwise 6.5 outruns it easily.

http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/12LRP

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    The lrp is essentially savages answer to remingtons r700 5r line. Basically put a better quality barrel than standard on a rifle with a pretty good stock and decent trigger. Its a good formula in the bang for the buck category. Ive got two r700 5Rs, a 308 and 300wm. Theyre both hammers and run great but Remington doesn't offer a 6.5 creedmoor for some idiotic reason and the lrp has made a reputation for itself as a great gun. 308 is great but the 6.5 bore has caught on and for good reason. 308 only beats 6.5 out of short barrels at short ranges, otherwise 6.5 outruns it easily.

Savage Arms

felis_silvestris_libyca-african_wildcat-tr-by_trudie_waltman.jpg The 6.5 creedmoor for SHTF? Really?

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    View attachment 26413 The 6.5 creedmoor for SHTF? Really?

Your SHTF OMG WTF rifle doesn't do you much good if you cant hit shit with it. If you really are going to designate a rifle as your SHTF rifle then I would expect that you would stockpile a large amount of ammo for it. The 6.5 creedmoor offers a much larger effective range and more precision than the 308 due to its superior ballistics. If youre truly in an end of the world scenario, once you get low on ammo you can use it get another gun or the great thing about the savage is with a couple of simple tools you can swap the barrel in a pinch with fired piece of brass to set headspace. Besides how many "long range" encounters are you really going to have? Id imagine most of your shooting in that scenario would be with a regular AR at closer in ranges.

My personal opinion is you cant have just one bolt action rifle. When I get my 6.5 I wont be selling my 308 and I will be building an 18" mega maten mkm setup next year.

Everybody has their own idea what they will need should a situation like this come up.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol, let the caliber debated begin!

Having to try real hard not to go OT in this thread. So much fun to be had.

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    Lol, let the caliber debated begin!

Having to try real hard not to go OT in this thread. So much fun to be had.

Your not kidding. I had subscribed to this thread because I have the same question as the OP. But I have already made up my mind and decided no to go with the .308.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly

Savage Arms
    If you are stuck buying off the shelf ammo , what barrel length? My 700 is a 20", but I'd like to get the most from a basic 6.5. 24 - 26"?

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Most 6.5 creedmoor velocities are quoted off 24" barrels I believe. The lrp is 26" and runs the factory hornady ammo rated at 2710 really well. The big allure of the 6.5 creedmoor is the cheap, and very accurate hornady factory ammo. At 20 bucks a box its pretty hard to beat. When I buy my creedmoor Im going to buy a 1000 rounds of it since its cheap, shoots great and will give me plenty of brass to reload.

Top Bottom