• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    What do you guys ride? Been looking at some youtube videos. These things are more expensive than cars.

I’ve been collecting bikes.

Have an old Trek 8500 for when the trails call. A lot less now that I am older.

A Trek Earl fixed gear that I rode for about 10 years. Noticed I was starting to avoid hills so I picked up a Surly Long Haul trucker in 2019. It’s all steel and I am running 700x41 tires on it which make the crappy roads around here bearable.

An old Gary Fisher from 1991 is my beater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    What do you guys ride? Been looking at some youtube videos. These things are more expensive than cars.

Yes, but for a top-of-the-line /world class racing machine, they arent too bad. About equivalent to a dirtbike...

Our bakfiets was a bit over $3k which is the same as I spent on each of my Land Rover Discoverys that are our families daily drivers but its so much fun loading up 100lbs of kids and going for a 2h ride. They freaking love it

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Traffic Cams

For years I used a GoPro on my helmet.

Now I’ve got a new “Rexing A1”, which runs continuously both front & rear, w/ audio. It sits atop bike helmet @ gets almost everything.

There are so many dangerous drivers now.

As to expensive bikes, we started with the top road bkes, Motobecane & Pugeot, almost a half-century ago. When those got uncomfortable, we swiitched to the really nice Bavarian Schwinn’s; but both got stolen in Houston. Prostate cancer surgery makes one find a really comfortable seat.

I rode all over inside-the-loop-610 Houston for years, only one problem on San Jacinto in 1981. Downtown & Allen Parkway are really nice & quiet on Sunday mornings. . . . .

leVieux

<>

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    It was hot today. Only had 70oz of water.

Oh... it was dusty too.
    fcbae9758b2c0a2c0a560a94ab37b22b.jpg

ea2745475ac971b248e2ac4abbe152d1.jpg

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Tour de Paris. 35mi; European Tour if Texas series complete.

Hah! The good old GASP. When it started, it began at the co-op bike shop in Austin. It was on 24th street, just West of Guadalupe. You got to the Shiner brewery with whatever route you wanted. Fastest time won. I remember somebody(s) doing it on a tandem at something like 3:45 - 22 MPH average! I usually just rode it with a group of guys through back country roads.

My best story about that is that when I was in college, I had a room mate who was a hard core triathalon guy. He came in 13th at the Hawaii Ironman. After we rode to Shiner, he went out for a run - yes, he was a psycho.

Made it out this morning around 8:00 - kinda nice with the cloud cover. Only rode ~20 miles, but I'm kind of encouraged. I've been off a bike for so long, I shouldn't be surprised - but still it's frustrating. Riding in your 60's isn't the same as riding in your 20's, when your mind thinks your in your 30's.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Hah! The good old GASP. When it started, it began at the co-op bike shop in Austin. It was on 24th street, just West of Guadalupe. You got to the Shiner brewery with whatever route you wanted. Fastest time won. I remember somebody(s) doing it on a tandem at something like 3:45 - 22 MPH average! I usually just rode it with a group of guys through back country roads.

My best story about that is that when I was in college, I had a room mate who was a hard core triathalon guy. He came in 13th at the Hawaii Ironman. After we rode to Shiner, he went out for a run - yes, he was a psycho.

Made it out this morning around 8:00 - kinda nice with the cloud cover. Only rode ~20 miles, but I'm kind of encouraged. I've been off a bike for so long, I shouldn't be surprised - but still it's frustrating. Riding in your 60's isn't the same as riding in your 20's, when your mind thinks your in your 30's.
    <.>

Just you wait a bit. At 80, I often ask myself if it is time for a 3-wheeler trike w/ battery assist, warning flags on staffs, & flashing lights.

<>

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Hah! The good old GASP...
    I remember those days. GASP now starts and ends at the brewery and is on hiatus. Of four attempts to make it happen during COVID, only one was successful, but at least that one went.

They’re searching for a new ride promoter and hope to be back on the calendar next year sometime.

Real Ale in Blanco has been doing a similar ride for a few years now; it’s Oct 28th this year and is a lot of fun although it’s no GASP.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    You are disappointed at the 1000 mile mark and I am rather happy reaching that mark!

But then I am not a young guy.
    I am only relatively disappointed...

Through my 6y of college, I was riding 250-300/wk and continued for the next 9y at about 200/wk (with a couple of 400mi weeks just for fun). Then became a cop and worked nights for about 4y and every-other weekend so it pushed me towards some other hobbies like motorcycles, run-and-guns and my land rovers.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Did about 10mi on the mountain bike tuesday evening. It was hot, but didnt feel bad. I would have dont nore, but was short on sleep and took a nap then extended ut when I should have left for the ride, but I short cut them about an hour into their loop and finished.

Top Bottom