• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Stay safe! I've been riding 13-15 miles 3-4 times a week until last Sunday. I rode on a walking/biking path around our community lake and some idiot propped their fishing pole on a steel bench with it's line cast across the path into the lake. The line hit my neck when I passed and my knee-jerk reaction to pull the line caused me to crash. Fractured my left wrist in two places and went into shock due to pain. An ambulance ride to the ER and nobody claimed to own the fishing pole.

So a 6-7mph crash leaving a fractured distal radius and ulnar then I'll see a doctor next Monday to verify whether surgery is needed. This isn't my dominate hand but I now realize our limitations when only one hand can be used. Wife isn't too thrilled with my bike and an unrelated surgery I had planned for July may now be on hold...I'll find out that status when I see that doctor this Friday.
    That's f..... Up.
    Lynx Defense

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Well gents, going to be back in the saddle again. When I was going to college, I built very high end bikes. Worked on stuff for (and had a frame from) people like Eric Heiden -back in the day when there were stage races around Austin. Used to go to Colorado when the Red Zinger / Coors Classic was going on - rode next to "The Badger" - Bernard Hinault. Raced a bit. Let's just say, I was into bicycles. My basement has a pile of old bikes, all with sew-ups and old Campagnolo gear. The wife and kids just gave me a new bike for father's day - cause I'm leaving town to go shooting this weekend. It's a used Cannondale R2000 Si. I'm beyond excited. The bike shop I worked for was one of the first to start carrying Cannondale bikes - I could get them at a 50% discount, so I've had a few.

I certainly don't expect it to be like the old days, when I was young - rode 10,000 miles in one year. Weekend 150 mile rides were normal - lol, we called it the church of the peleton. The wife and I would go out on "heat patrols" 2-3 times a week for ~40 miles or so after work in the summer. Prior to Covid - I used to ride my mountain bike (old school Fisher that I built) to work. The new road bike will be easier. I'm pretty fired up.

Best ride of my life was helping deliver a piano to Temple, with our bikes in the back of the truck. Dropped the piano off, and rode home to Austin - almost all the way in the big chain ring with a howling North wind.
    Cool!! I've raced with Raul Acala and Armstrong and worked in the cycling industry for a number of years doing carbon frame building and repair before my current gig (which I still managed to find a way to teach mtbing) Raced with Chad Haga and Lawson Craddock in college (back when I was faster then them sometimes haha) and get to hang with Chann Mcrae from time to time. My wife held a MTB pro license for a long time

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Stay safe! I've been riding 13-15 miles 3-4 times a week until last Sunday. I rode on a walking/biking path around our community lake and some idiot propped their fishing pole on a steel bench with it's line cast across the path into the lake. The line hit my neck when I passed and my knee-jerk reaction to pull the line caused me to crash. Fractured my left wrist in two places and went into shock due to pain. An ambulance ride to the ER and nobody claimed to own the fishing pole.

So a 6-7mph crash leaving a fractured distal radius and ulnar then I'll see a doctor next Monday to verify whether surgery is needed. This isn't my dominate hand but I now realize our limitations when only one hand can be used. Wife isn't too thrilled with my bike and an unrelated surgery I had planned for July may now be on hold...I'll find out that status when I see that doctor this Friday.
    Heal up well

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Well, I've been using the heck out of my new bicycle. Rode ~50 miles in the last four days. That seems kinda wimpy to me, based on my past experiences, but hey! I'm riding again. Wifey-Mate and I did ~12 miles this morning. Having prolonged aerobic stuff isn't normal to her. We're having a blast!

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Well, I've been using the heck out of my new bicycle. Rode ~50 miles in the last four days. That seems kinda wimpy to me, based on my past experiences, but hey! I'm riding again. Wifey-Mate and I did ~12 miles this morning. Having prolonged aerobic stuff isn't normal to her. We're having a blast!
    San Marcos has some nice trails?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Shoot me a text/call if you want to ride. If I am in town I’ll for sure take the short drive south

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Shoot me a text/call if you want to ride. If I am in town I’ll for sure take the short drive south
    Maybe in a while - you'd be embarrassed to hang with me at the speed and distances I can go right now. I can hold a line grabbing a bottle or something so I'm not scary to ride next to - but that's about it.

The guys I used to ride with played "goofball" a bunch though on our bikes in neighborhoods. Somebody would bring a tennis ball on a ride, throw it down a street, and we'd have to scoop it up with our hands - while riding on our bikes. Good fun - and teaches you good bike handling skills

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    For the past 7 months I've been riding my Specialized Roll (hybrid) for 30 minutes minimum every day except when it's raining. So, I average about 4 to 5 miles per day. At 75, I think that 30 minutes is good. I got a spring-suspension seat and it makes me feel good. I look forward to my ride every day.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    June was a pretty messed up month for Casa de Hoji and did not get much done in the way of miles on the bike. Got a couple of short rides in last week and started this week off with a decent ride

1688914989490.png

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Last time is was down there was in 2005. Baton Rouge was scary around the LSU campus. I can only imagine now.

I hear LaPlace is not so great either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

When I used to tell folks that I had to put a .45 into my belt to put my garbage out INSIDE A walled, gated, locked, guarded complex, they’d thnk it was a joke.

We drove pickup with an 870 Tactial and an AR b/t the seats and a couple GLOCKS. at hand.

No place to live. . . . . .

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

We have “Townies” for urban/local & heavy frame “Specialized” brand bikes as bangers.

As we are both arthritic elders, I’m looking at getting a full-suspension bike for pretty days and an electric-boost trike for errands. Each of those runs well over $2K.

My neighbor in Houston had a $7.5K Carbon / Titanium “road bike”, when he was between Pediatrician-Wives.

<>.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    What do you guys ride? Been looking at some youtube videos. These things are more expensive than cars.

That’s like looking at a NASCAR Camaro and saying it’s more expensive than an off the shelf Camaro.

I’m on a Giant CFR Expert that’s 25 years old and will likely upgrade next year.

The #1 contender right now is the Cervelo Caledonia with Ultegra DI2 group. A little pricey, but half the price and 95% of the Caledonia 5 performance.

There’s plent of good options at all price points.

Top Bottom