• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Yeah I know, just wasn't sure about what point you had to unholster. Still sucks man.
    "Prepare yourself for the future,with what you've seen in the present"
    just as another note, and to all that read this, this is MY opinion ONLY: There are definitely thieves that "case" the SAXET and look for people that go into the show....ALL DAY SAT. & SUN. they look for opportunities. So be on yer toes. I feel this would have/could have happened at the IHOP or in the parking lot of the SAXET, don't think 150-200 yards makes much difference to the thieves. Just ask Bill.

Mark, did not un-holster until we went to the SAXET
    Capitol Armory ad

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    So be on yer toes. I feel this would have/could have happened at the IHOP or in the parking lot of the SAXET, don't think 150-200 yards makes much difference to the thieves.

PS, I'm also convinced the thieves use social media to gain info about their victims after this weekend's incident, so the more vague the info is, the better as far as I'm concerned. I'm rethinking going to that craphole again. We love SA and 97% of the people there (-1% for neckbeards, -1% for thieves, -1% for ashpoles). We just hate that venue and the thieves.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    PS, I'm also convinced the thieves use social media to gain info about their victims after this weekend's incident, so the more vague the info is, the better as far as I'm concerned. I'm rethinking going to that craphole again. We love SA and 97% of the people there (-1% for neckbeards, -1% for thieves, -1% for ashpoles). We just hate that venue and the thieves.

Can you expand on that thought. I would be interested to hear what you think. Thanks.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Can you expand on that thought. I would be interested to hear what you think. Thanks.

I started to type out a scenario, but then I would be giving other crooks ideas. Use your imagination, it's not tough to think of ways it can be done.

We're gonna have to practice better OPSEC. We need to think about the vulnerabilities and indicators that exist, and employ some countermeasures to protect ourselves.

For one, I don't think it's a good idea to park at IHOP anymore for the SAXET shows...

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I started to type out a scenario, but then I would be giving other crooks ideas. Use your imagination, it's not tough to think of ways it can be done.

We're gonna have to practice better OPSEC. We need to think about the vulnerabilities and indicators that exist, and employ some countermeasures to protect ourselves.

For one, I don't think it's a good idea to park at IHOP anymore for the SAXET shows...

I started to think out my reply but then realized it was counter/counter insurgent. Even implying there's a problem with security could invite interest. I keep thinking about venues I've been at down in Pasadena and up in Mesquite where the cops have that huge mobile platform that elevates 50' into the air, placed in the middle of the parking lot. A nice perk !

I saw something very funny saturday am. There were cops were out in decent numbers in the neighborhood in the morning. One of SAPD's finest gave me a superlong-hard stare as I was turning on my way to the venue, which was fine. But I thought to myself...DAM, wrong dude, brother.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

I see what you mean.... Sometimes I forget it isn't just us here.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX

Tactical gun show insertion with covert super tactical extraction?

(Only kidding, you are very right to become more aware/reactive to your situation, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity :p)

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I am glad we can find a little humor in this situation, but I still feel bad and somewhat responsible as I am the one that always advocates getting together for breakfast before these shows!

While we've been having our IHOP "meetings" for some years now, this is the first time that I know of where anything has happened. Of course there was the theft from Anger's truck at a previous SAXET show but somehow I attributed that to some slimeball vendor (yes, there are a few). However, I never expect anyone would experience property stolen from their vehicles; and if it were to happen, most likely it would have been me for the obvious reasons.

I think the best solution to this is to park at the show (yes, even if that means paying for that "privilege") but getting there early would still mean we would at least be out front of the venue instead of towards the side or back. There is a visible security presence that hopefully would deter most thieves. It's sad that it's come to this, but we must face the reality that most likely someone was targeting show participants and unfortunately two of our brethren were victims...

Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    We could all carpool from some place. But I think I may live the closest....and that is at 1604 and Sheanfield. Not that I wouldn't be up for it, even when I cant go, but it is a bit of a hike.

OH and BTW....spoke with a lawyer from my provider firm....Liability Ins. follows the driver not the vehicle....So MY liability covered the motorcycle that knucklehead towed.

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    We could all carpool from some place. But I think I may live the closest....and that is at 1604 and Sheanfield. Not that I wouldn't be up for it, even when I cant go, but it is a bit of a hike.

OH and BTW....spoke with a lawyer from my provider firm....Liability Ins. follows the driver not the vehicle....So MY liability covered the motorcycle that knucklehead towed.

I live closer :p I live by Ingram mall, about 2 minutes away.

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    That might be ok, so long as we mixed and matched it a bit....I am not sure I trust that neighborhood.

I'm in a nice apartment complex, I don't live near the bad neighborhoods, I live down the street from the NSA building.

Top Bottom