• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Watching TV I see the gunman pointing a 1911 handgun at some one's head then he pulls the trigger back to fire the gun? I assume he has loaded the gun then dropped the hammer and holstered the gun. Most of the drawn pistols shown have hammers down.
    Guess I have been doing this wrong all of my life I load the gun condition 1 hammer back safety on when drawn I click off the safety. Why would on want to take time to cock the pistol to fire.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Because almost no script writers or directors give a scrawny rat's posterior about depicting firearms accurately. Even if the movie is based on a novel from an author who does care, the director doesn't give a squat.

So we end up with people pulling hammers back on Glocks; pump shotguns that are cycled numerous times to show the shooter really means business now...without a shell ever being ejected; pistols going to slide lock yet somehow still firing; striker-fired pistols, after they're run empty, going "Click! Click! Clickety-click!" while the shooter keeps pulling the trigger (and the slide might or might not have gone into slide lock); people being hurled off their feet and a yard backward after taking a round from a .30 Super Carry :D ; and virtually anything is effective cover: it's like a 3-year-old, if they can't see you, they can't shoot you, so no bullets can penetrate a kitchen cabinet door or the back of a cheap couch. And on and on.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Almost any time a 1911 is shown, the guy holding it cocks the hammer manually before firing it. TV/movie writers, directors and actors generally don't know diddly-shit about firearms. Just like when you see someone point a double-barreled shotgun and you hear the click-CLACK! of a pump being racked. Most of the audience won't know or care, so the people putting it out don't care to know.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Hammer is a hammer.
    As a trigger is a trigger though.
    Not quite. If you want to carry a 1911 with a round chambered and the hammer down, Condition 2, the only way to do it is to lower the hammer down over that loaded round...which by definition means that you have to depress the trigger while neither the manual or grip safeties are engaged. One little slip and you have a kaboom.

Not so with revolver, whether SA or DA. The round is positioned without the necessity to have the hammer cocked first.

Second, there is no slide on a revolver. See what happens if you "accidently" fire a round while your thumb is up near the hammer. Hopefully you may still have most of your thumb left for the surgeon to work on.

Third, whether or not a 1911 is drop-safe with the hammer down over a loaded round may end up depending upon the condition and strength of the firing pin spring. On a 1911 that isn't equipped with a firing pin safety, that little spring would be the only thing keeping it from discharging if dropped just so.

Fourth, a kind of a corollary: semi-autos depend upon springs to function. Revolvers have much less of that dependency.

Fifth, Colt was producing DA revolvers by 1877, and by the early 20th century they had pretty much completely replaced their SA-only counterparts. For good reason. Specifically because you don't have to cock the hammer before you shoot it.

Not to disparage, but anybody who carries an SA-only revolver for practical use in the 21st century is a fool. And carrying a 1911 in Condition 2 is pretty much just as foolhardy, IMHO.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Not quite. If you want to carry a 1911 with a round chambered and the hammer down, Condition 2, the only way to do it is to lower the hammer down over that loaded round...which by definition means that you have to depress the trigger while neither the manual or grip safeties are engaged. One little slip and you have a kaboom.

Not so with revolver, whether SA or DA. The round is positioned without the necessity to have the hammer cocked first.

Second, there is no slide on a revolver. See what happens if you "accidently" fire a round while your thumb is up near the hammer. Hopefully you may still have most of your thumb left for the surgeon to work on.

Third, whether or not a 1911 is drop-safe with the hammer down over a loaded round may end up depending upon the condition and strength of the firing pin spring. On a 1911 that isn't equipped with a firing pin safety, that little spring would be the only thing keeping it from discharging if dropped just so.

Fourth, a kind of a corollary: semi-autos depend upon springs to function. Revolvers have much less of that dependency.

Fifth, Colt was producing DA revolvers by 1877, and by the early 20th century they had pretty much completely replaced their SA-only counterparts. For good reason. Specifically because you don't have to cock the hammer before you shoot it.

Not to disparage, but anybody who carries an SA-only revolver for practical use in the 21st century is a fool. And carrying a 1911 in Condition 2 is pretty much just as foolhardy, IMHO.

Despite the obvious safety issue of pulling the trigger with a round in the chamber in order to put a 1911 into condition 2, JMB did specifically design the hammer and grip safety (his term being “grip-lever”) so that it could easily be decocked with one hand (page 7, lines 8-68 of the his patent — https://forum.m1911.org/documents/Browning's 1911 Patent of 1911-02-14.pdf).

Even after the addition of the thumb safety, this capability continued.

Also the issue of possibly firing when dropped on the muzzle with a non-captured firing pin is true whether cocked or decocked. And, some would argue more so when cocked because of additional inertia from the slightly longer travel.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    I read many books… many pure fiction by ex LEOs and/or veterans.

I’m stunned with how much intentional misinformation about firearms I find. E.g. on topics like easy access to firearms in this country by simply “ordering online” … with no mention of going to a FFL to pick it up/background check.

I guess ‘stupid and liberal’ exists even in ex-LEO and veterans

Hope those authors go broke due to woke

Top Bottom