Lynx Defense

17HMR, my new love, any other's here discovered it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I have a CZ 453 American in 17 hmr I'm very fond of. Single Set Trigger System is awesome. Accuracy is almost boring out to 100 yards.

It likes to shoot CCI 20 grain loads. It hates Winchester.

rifle1p.jpg

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I have a CZ 453 American in 17 hmr I'm very fond of. Single Set Trigger System is awesome. Accuracy is almost boring out to 100 yards.

It likes to shoot CCI 20 grain loads. It hates Winchester.

rifle1p.jpg
    Winchester blows in every rifle.

Sent from a B-52 flying over Russia.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Damn. Look at the grain lines. Looks like tiger eye stone. You make me miss mine.

I stripped it down. Hand rub linseed oil. As old of recipe as I could find. Took my time.

CZ sure does have an eye for pretty stocks.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a CZ 453 American in 17 hmr I'm very fond of...... Accuracy is almost boring out to 100 yards.

It hates Winchester.

Boring accuracy!
    You say that like it's a bad thing?
    I took a friend out shooting with my 17 today.
    The "boring" accuracy hooked him.

Just nothing like this caliber. Flat, accurate, pleasant to shoot.
    Another hooked. We gonna find him a rifle.

BTW
    Any experience with the flatter faster 17WSM? It's necked down .27 caliber nail gun blank with the .17 bit of lead as I read it.
    Just because it was cheap ($12 for 50) I bought 2 boxes for a gun I don't have, yet again. Not that that'a a bad thing.
    Now, to find a friend with the rifle for my ammo.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If accuracy gets boring, it's time to move the target back.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I played with mine at 200.

CCI A17 from a Savage 93 with SWFA SS 10X40.

959508ea08b418e4fcae46d5fbd859ef.jpg

Sent from my HAL 9000

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Took mine out to the range today.

Shot a group of 10 rounds that measured just over 1.5".

Sent from a B-52 flying over Russia.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Friend Bonnie and I shot NRA matches with our Marlin 917V rifles in .17HMR for a long time. I normally shot "Service Rifle" class, but the .17HMR really grew on me. Her best score at 200 yards was 499/500. The little rifle with a cheap scope earned my one and only perfect 500/500 score in nearly eight years of competition! I shot from prone off of a bipod. Bonnie shot from a rest.

We had the pits mark our hits with painted golf "T's" and we routinely hit the golf "T'" markers with following shots at 200 yards. Two bullets in the same hole at 200 yards......sweet!

Flash

Last edited:

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Friend Bonnie and I shot NRA matches with our Marlin 917V rifles in .17HMR for a long time. I normally shot "Service Rifle" class, but the .17HMR really grew on me. Her best score at 200 yards was 499/500. The little rifle with a cheap scope earned my one and only perfect 500/500 score in nearly eight years of competition! I shot from prone off of a bipod. Bonnie shot from a rest.

We had the pits mark our hits with painted golf "T's" and we routinely hit the golf "T'" markers with following shots at 200 yards. Two bullets in the same hole at 200 yards......sweet!

Flash

What ammo were you using/.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    What ammo were you using/.

We always used Federal .17HMR that uses the ballistic tip bullet. We found that the hollow point bullets did not shoot as accurately. As I recall, the Federal rounds used the Hornady ballistic tip bullets. Haven't seen the Federal ammo for a while (I stashed 40 boxes of it.) but saw the Hornady HMR for sale at Academy. That Hornady bullet with the ballistic (plastic) tip is a winner!

If your barrel is new, be sure to use a good copper fouling mixture like Butch's Bore Shine. Copper fouling will degrade accuracy. After the barrel gets some rounds through it, it resists copper fouling much better.

Slide wet patches with Butch's on it then let it sit. Repeat often until patches don't come out with green color. When new, the .17HMR needed cleaning often and we kept sliding wet patches through them for as much as 4 days. Two of our HMR barrels needed careful cleaning when new and two did not. I'd set my rifle up in the garage, slide a wet patch in it then go watch TV. Every 1/2 hour of so, I'd hit it with a wet patch again. It's a PITA but that copper must go and you can't scrub it out.

I hate the smell of Butch's and found that Hoppes #9 works pretty well. It just takes a lot longer.

Don't scrub the bore. Copper fouling needs to be removed with chemicals. Buy good, one piece rods and quality cleaning equipment. Butch's high ammonia formula attacks the brass/bronze brushes.

You'll see these rifles for sale when they begin to throw fliers. All they really need is a cleaning by someone who knows how to deal with copper fouling. Now.....you do....snicker!

If you see splits at the case neck, don't sweat it. Our 200 yard matches used 56 rounds for each of us and split case necks were routine. Once the primer compound is inside the cases, they can't anneal the case necks, so the brass is brittle after they neck size to .17.

The local club had 200 yard center fire rifle matches. I noted with some humor that they disallowed the .17HMR at 200. I dared them to let me shoot the little Marlin 917V with the $30 scope. They wouldn't allow it. There's no way they'd beat that .17HMR at 200!

Flash

Last edited:

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I've been using Butch's and letting it soak but I've been scrubbing. I did think that my brush was breaking down keeping my patches dirty so I got a nylon brush. I'll try it without a brush next time.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I haven't had much trouble with it eating brushes as long as I rinse them after each use.

I did have a 50 cal brush that wasn't tight in the bore after using butch's and forgetting to rinse it.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Top Bottom