• ...and so much more!
  • West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    For use AS a home defense shot gun? no slugs, give me 00 or BB's. No fear of over penetration, and enough of a spread to overcome the jitters...and enough knock down power to end any further threat.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    For use AS a home defense shot gun? no slugs, give me 00 or BB's. No fear of over penetration, and enough of a spread to overcome the jitters...and enough knock down power to end any further threat.

No argument with your statement, I have 00 buckshot in the chamber.
    Just thinking about if TSHTF and you needed to shoot thru something.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    those look nasty.

for some extra fun ideas, not to be tried at home, or anywhere else, ever. look at the wild and crazy shotgun loads thread

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas

00 buck will penetrate many walls.

The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1

I really don't think it matters a whole lot on which slug. It depends on what you want it for. If you want to get the distance out of it, you really just got to test it in your shotty. You can probably pay an extre $3/shot and it probably would work just as good as as the $1/shot slugs you get at Academy. Its a 12 gauge slug. A big hunk of lead flying down range.

It works on Big critters, 2 legged and 4 legged.

Just from looking at some websites (mostly box of truth) different brands can have markedly different precision. . .regardless of cost in your particular shotgun. So, you could buy a box and test them. But thats really only relevent at longer ranges, anyway.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    00 buck will penetrate many walls...

True enough...00 in a low recoil round will go through an interior wall before hitting the next one and stopping...where as a slug will penetrate several walls and still keep moving...OVER penetration, I'd like for it to stop before it gets to the neighbors house across the street and in to their bedroom!

However, they might could use the excitment...

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    I want some of these... ...but you would still have the overpenetration problem from the slug, wouldn't you?

It would sure seem so...unless you actually HIT what you are supposed to and not the wall to the kids bedroom. Home Defense with kids or others in the house is a tough situation, things can go way bad WAY fast.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Winchester just released the PDX1 in 12-ga. which is essentially a "buck and ball" round ... one slug and three small balls.

I guess if it worked for the redcoats

Intresting.

EDIT: A 1 oz slug is 437.5 grains. Just to put things in perspective.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    I can of course understand the fear of over penetration with slugs if you have kids
    My children are very low to the ground and have 4 legs, so I am aiming mid torso with follow up at same.
    And after the PD lets me go I will head to Academy to replace my Mossy 500 they confiscated.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The unfortunate thing is there are still so many people out there that have no real experience with a shotgun, or have never actually patterned a shotgun before, and that actually believe all you have to do is point and shoot and some sort of magic "wall of lead" is going to shoot out of the gun and hit the bad guy regardless of an imprecise aim. A good quality defensive load (I like Federal Flite control wad OO or OOO buck) will be less than fist-sized in grouping at typical home defense distances 0-7yds, or maybe fist-sized or slightly larger out to ~10yds.

Hmm, I wonder what the effect would be using a breaching round as a defensive load? Most modern breaching slugs are pretty much just a frangible slug. Frangible pistol rounds are not really sufficient for defensive use IMO, however with the extra mass of a 12 gauge slug I wonder if that would make up for the lack of penetration of a frangible pistol round and possibly strike a good balance of performance and penetration? I think some hogs will have to die to test this one out. ;)

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    Let us know your findings
    But wait till it cools of a bit
    The unfortunate thing is there are still so many people out there that have no real experience with a shotgun, or have never actually patterned a shotgun before, and that actually believe all you have to do is point and shoot and some sort of magic "wall of lead" is going to shoot out of the gun and hit the bad guy regardless of an imprecise aim. A good quality defensive load (I like Federal Flite control wad OO or OOO buck) will be less than fist-sized in grouping at typical home defense distances 0-7yds, or maybe fist-sized or slightly larger out to ~10yds.

Hmm, I wonder what the effect would be using a breaching round as a defensive load? Most modern breaching slugs are pretty much just a frangible slug. Frangible pistol rounds are not really sufficient for defensive use IMO, however with the extra mass of a 12 gauge slug I wonder if that would make up for the lack of penetration of a frangible pistol round and possibly strike a good balance of performance and penetration? I think some hogs will have to die to test this one out. ;)

Top Bottom