1 dead, 12 stuck underground in incident at Mollie Kathleen Gold Mine near Cripple Creek

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    1,000 ft underground is not really on my bucket list.
    Mine, either. But we had a family reunion near there and a bunch of us did go on that tour. I am mildly claustrophobic and the elevator ride was the worst part. Double-decker and they pack you like sardines. So tight that most of us had to put our hands up to make room.
    I just pray that they all get out safe.
    More of an adventure than they signed up for.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I haven't done that one, but we do every mine and cave tour we get near. I always wonder if they have any kind of plan if the shtf.
    I hope everything comes out as well as it can, considering..
    I'd need an answer to the shtf question before thinking about entering a mine. As a scuba diver, I never did cave diving for a very good reason!

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I use to venture into mines back in the day. Found some neat stuff took some left some.
    Entered one and went in pretty deep on an old busted up ladder made of timber and got light headed and it started to smell bad. It actually scared me and I got the hell out.
    I say I but there were three of us.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    If you ever get up in Missouri, I highly recommend this one. Especially if your a diver.
    1728608224797.jpeg

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    It's probably a silly little thing that wouldn't matter. But anytime I go underground I take the LED flashlight with the longest runtime I have, with a fresh battery, and maybe one extra in my pocket. I call it a security blanket.
    Maybe not so silly. Part of the tour showed the working conditions underground. The early workers worked by candlelight, but candles were expensive, so they used them to get set up, but worked mostly in the dark. Later came carbide lamps. High tech!

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Maybe not so silly. Part of the tour showed the working conditions underground. The early workers worked by candlelight, but candles were expensive, so they used them to get set up, but worked mostly in the dark. Later came carbide lamps. High tech!
    My one light has something like a 26 day runtime on 1 lumen mode. After being in the dark awhile that would probably seem like the sun.

stuhoevel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    San Antonio
    I think I would pass. I know I'm claustrophobic. I did an inspection once inside a 30" pipe. Worse part of that is once you crawled in, you couldn't turn around, so you had to crawl out backwards.

I've been on a few cave tours and I didn't feel claustrophobic, but we stayed on the well-traveled path.

I've seen enough YouTube videos of some of these mines. The people are hunched over and packed in tight. Not my idea of fun.

I know on caves when they say 1,000 feet that's from the mouth of the cave, you may only be 100 feet below the surface. On mines when they say 1,000 feet, do they mean 1,000 feet below the surface?

Top Bottom