• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donj441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2017
    I read today where an NFL player was arrested for having an unregistered firearm in his car; I think this occurred in CA. If we are going to the range and we have an old gun that was purchased long before any registration was required, is, or could that be unlawful? Thx
    Capitol Armory ad

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I read today where an NFL player was arrested for having an unregistered firearm in his car; I think this occurred in CA. If we are going to the range and we have an old gun that was purchased long before any registration was required, is, or could that be unlawful? Thx

Since there is no such thing as a "registered gun" in Texas, who knows/who cares?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Unless it is NFA, there is no registration in Texas.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Texas is not CA. Don't know where your question refers to. Different states - different laws. It pays to know the difference.

Donj441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2017
    I should have been more precise: I meant the paper work one fills out when buying a new pistol.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Agreed. No such thing as a "registered gun" in civilized states. Guns are personal property.
    I wonder if the OP is in CA and asking on a free forum. Or if he's a new transplant from an oppressed state to a free state.

OP, where are you located? You need to read up on the laws in your state to see what is legal.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I should have been more precise: I meant the paper work one fills out when buying a new pistol.

The 4473 does not “register” anything. It’s a record of transfer.

It also does not matter one bit in Texas; no copy goes to the state and there is no state registration scheme, unlike some other states.

As for CA laws or more clarity in your instant case, maybe try Calguns’ forum.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

Short answer: No. That's not what that form is for, and there is no "registry", especially in Texas. The police cannot refer back to your form 4473 in any way during a traffic stop and it has to be specifically requested with a warrant during a federal investigation...and all it shows is whether you purchased the firearm from a dealer or not, and if so on what date and from what dealer. Form 4473 does not in any way "authorize" you to be in posession of any object or device, it's simply a record of the background check and sale being performed by a licensed firearms dealer. Note that in that sentence, the dealer is licensed, not the firearm or the purchaser.

Also, if you make a private purchase face-to-face, there is no such form or background check, or dealer. You hand the seller the cash, he hands you the firearm, you shake hands and go your separate ways. Perfectly legal sale of private property from one individual to another.

echo1

"A free people should be armed and disciplined"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    I'm a Kali occupant and there was a time when there was no registration for any weapons. I'm not certain of the exact date but think it was '99. There was no requirement for intrafamiliar transfer then either, son, daughter, mom, pops, grandparents. So if you have "stuff" pre '99 DOM or C&R it's plausible that there would be no paperwork if the Kali DOJ came knocking. :cool: New rigs not so much. PAX

Guns308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Abilene
    Yall are correct in saying that Texas doesn't have a registry. I also know that our purchases are tracked a little differently if we buy multiple handguns or rifles larger than 22 cal at once or withing 5 days of each other. This records go to the atf and chief LEO in your jurisdiction. The CLEO id mandated to destroy those records within 20 days if you are found to be a nonprohibbited person. I don't know what the atf does with those records but I bet they are kept for a few lifetimes. They say its to track illegal gun trafficking. The rifle tracking is new since 2011 and only in California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. I am on their lists. I have purchased several guns at once, several times. They did say that receivers are not tracked this way because they are neither rifle nor pistol.

echo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    Up until my go to 01 hung up hid shingle (Kali regs got to be too much for his old foggy brain), he would hold my 4473 until I got 5 guns to process and then he only charged me $25 bucks for one form. That's how you end up with 40 SKSs. His getting out of the gun game roughly coincided with my retiring six years ago. Since then I've only picked a handful of new iron, SKS Paratrooper, .41 mag Henry, X39 RAR, .57 Rossi 92 and a Scott Werks Thompson. I did build a few SARCO barreled action SKS Bubbas that were the last transfers he did for me, it just took a while for me to butcher those up. PAX

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    To the OP, I'm pretty sure that Cali has a "ghost gun" law. But in Texas, if you have a "ghost gun" its yours to keep, but could have issues if you sell it.

I think the differences in treatment come into play if its an old gun with no serial number, versus one of the new 80% guns that also have no serial number. The 80% guns seem to come up lately in news stories, usually the Glock clones, and I bet that's what the foosball player had.

I don't know much about the 80% projects. Seemed interesting but I never delved into that due a lack of technical expertise. Was pretty sure I would screw it up if I tried to do one. So i just bought my Glock from a store.

echo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    I'm not certain but I think Kalis ghost regs are for new acquisition. MOST Kali gun reg aren't retroactive, PAX

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    The 4473 does not “register” anything. It’s a record of transfer.

It also does not matter one bit in Texas; no copy goes to the state and there is no state registration scheme, unlike some other states.
    I was told last week that per new federal law (supposedly about 1 year old), all 4473s are now reported to the feds, whether 1 or more guns on the form. Is that correct? I am not a dealer so I cannot claim to know laws affecting FFLs. Thank you.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Further, there's no 'brandishing law' in Texas either.

OK, no one asked, but I thought I'd throw that out there just for the hell of it!
    PC42.01 (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:

(8) Displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;

(9) Discharges a firearm on or across a public road

^^^^^
    Not "brandishing", but pretty much cover the same offense.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Crawdaddi0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2023
    Avinger, TX
    PC42.01 (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:

(8) Displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;

(9) Discharges a firearm on or across a public road

^^^^^
    Not "brandishing", but pretty much cover the same offense.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_2006.png
      IMG_2006.png
      681.4 KB · Views: 51
    Top Bottom