Texas SOT

Atf rule banning private sales requires FFL rumored for fall.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kpg4923

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2024
    Central Texas
    .................and with all this shenanigans going on............ folks in the classifieds are still asking for a BOS............
    Blows my mind how ignorant that is. And not just because of this new rule. That’s always been ignorant. I never understood why someone would want to attach their name to a firearm. I guess it’s this equally ignorant idea that they want to help the police.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Blows my mind how ignorant that is. And not just because of this new rule. That’s always been ignorant. I never understood why someone would want to attach their name to a firearm. I guess it’s this equally ignorant idea that they want to help the police.
    I am going to go with the meth residue from all of the truckers they blow at the truck stop glory holes has addled their brains.

Paul Saver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    North Texas
    ScreenShot_20240504001526.png

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I don’t understand why we haven’t read about manufacturers getting involved in the lawsuits. This has to affect sales. How many folks would buy something on whim or just to try out if they would have difficulty selling if they lost interest?

texdot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    Palestine
    O.K. I haven't posted on here for years,but Biden isn't the author of this Bipartisan Safer Communities Act.. It had to go thru the normal bs. Look up who voted for this. I did. There were more than a dozen Republicans who voted for it. This is Texas Gun Talk. On November 23 2023 Texas Senator John Cornyn proudly supported his approval. Check it out,now he's saying he will fight for our rights and this law is unconstitutional.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    The way I understand the new rule, it specifically references those who sell a gun ’FOR PROFIT’.

Keep your receipts. You buy a gun for $899, when you sell it, ask $898… no profit, no violation.

And what of all those out there that bought particular guns that have appreciated in value over the years? Should they now have to sell at $1 less then what they paid for it 20 or 30 years ago? :eek:

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    O.K. I haven't posted on here for years,but Biden isn't the author of this Bipartisan Safer Communities Act.. It had to go thru the normal bs. Look up who voted for this. I did. There were more than a dozen Republicans who voted for it. This is Texas Gun Talk. On November 23 2023 Texas Senator John Cornyn proudly supported his approval. Check it out,now he's saying he will fight for our rights and this law is unconstitutional.
    Not a big Cornyn fan but there is the law he supported, then there is the ATF rule that he does not support that springs from it. They are different things so it is possible to have different views on them. However, a 2A supporter would say both are bad news. He wasn't smart enough to realize the law could be abused by ATF.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Not a big Cornyn fan but there is the law he supported, then there is the ATF rule that he does not support that springs from it. They are different things so it is possible to have different views on them. However, a 2A supporter would say both are bad news. He wasn't smart enough to realize the law could be abused by ATF.
    Born in Houston, Cornyn is a graduate of Trinity University and St. Mary's University School of Law and received an LL.M. degree from the University of Virginia School of Law. He was a judge on Texas's 37th District Court from 1985 to 1991.[1][2] He was elected an associate justice of the Texas Supreme Court, where he served from 1991 to 1997.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sounds like he ought to know what he supports and votes for.

I don't think anyone foresaw the rules changes the ATF has pushed based on the BCSA, and anyone who claims they did needs to share their crystal ball as most did so only after the fact!

Read this and tell me fundamentally what you disagree with (highlights mine)...

The Bipartisan Safer Communities Act

Support for State Crisis Intervention Orders
    • Provides resources to states to implement crisis intervention court programs, which could include mental health courts, drug courts, Veterans’ Courts, and Assisted Outpatient Treatment (AOT) programs.
      • Every state would receive funding based on an existing formula and have the flexibility to choose whichever crisis intervention programs would work best for them. There are no mandates, incentives, penalties, or set-asides.
      • If a state chooses to use any of this funding to implement an extreme risk protection order program, it would be required to meet strict and expansive due process, evidentiary, and standard of proof requirements.
    Investments in Children and Family Mental Health Services
    • Expands the community behavioral health center model nationwide and makes major investments to increase access to mental health and suicide prevention programs and other support services available in the community, including crisis and trauma intervention.
    Protections for Victims of Domestic Violence
    • Updates the definition of misdemeanor crime of domestic violence to include those who have or have had a current or recent continuing serious relationship of a romantic or intimate nature with their victim.
    • Individuals convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence against a person with whom they have or have had a current or recent continuing serious relationship of a romantic or intimate nature would have their right to purchase and possess firearms automatically restored after five years elapsed from the end of their criminal sentence if they had committed no further crimes of violence.
    Funding for School-Based Mental Health and Supportive Services
    • Invests in programs to expand mental health and supportive services in schools, including early identification and intervention.
    Funding for School Safety Resources
    • Invests in programs to help institute safety measures in and around primary and secondary schools, supports school violence prevention efforts and provides training to school personnel and students.
    Clarification of the Definition of Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer
    • Cracks down on criminals who illegally evade licensing requirements.
    Telehealth Investments
    • Invests in programs that increase access to mental and behavioral health services for youth and families in crisis via telehealth.
    Under-21 Enhanced Review Process
    • For buyers under 21 years of age whose background checks are flagged for cause, the bill allows up to seven additional days for the FBI to conduct an enhanced review into the possibly disqualifying juvenile and mental health adjudication records.
    Penalties for Straw Purchasing
    • Cracks down on criminals, cartel members, and terrorists who illegally straw purchase and traffic guns.

Just because the ATF changes rules based on the above doesn't make the Act or those who supported it wrong...

Here is the real problem (have a bucket ready as it will induce severe nauseau!)...

In 2023, President Biden signed an Executive Order to accelerate implementation of the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, including by directing the Attorney General to move the U.S. as close to universal background checks as possible without additional legislation by clarifying the new Act. The Department of Justice’s (DOJ) final rule clarifies the type of conduct that requires a person to get a license to sell guns and to conduct background checks. By setting clear standards for when someone is dealing firearms, the rule provides the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) with proactive tools to enforce the law and keep our communities safe.

So what Uncle Joe did was make law-abiding citizens the "criminals, cartel members and terrorists" the BSCA was meant to address!

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I don't think anyone foresaw the rules changes the ATF has pushed based on the BCSA, and anyone who claims they did needs to share their crystal ball as most did so only after the fact!

Think of the Children! Mental Health!

As soon as you see that, or the cozy title, it is obvious what is down the pipeline. They never wanted safer communities- they want chaos, to break the system- so they can "fix" it. Every.single. time.

We used to have a system of institutions that dealt with mental health- they closed those all down and released the patients into the streets.

The absolute worst thing that can happen in any Congress is: both sides agree to something.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't think anyone foresaw the rules changes the ATF has pushed based on the BCSA,
    Stated that way, I'd have to agree. On general principle, though, anyone with any grasp of legal issue and political policy implementation, such as someone with education and experience like this...
    ...Cornyn...graduate of Trinity University ... St. Mary's University School of Law ... LL.M. ... from the University of Virginia School of Law. judge on Texas's 37th ...associate justice ... Texas Supreme Court...
    ...should instinctively understand that all laws will eventually be enforced in the most brutal way their language can possibly be twisted, completely without regard to the original purpose of the statute.

Futzing with language so basic to the way the 2A works in practice is never smart. Even if he didn't realize it that the beginning, all those constituents who yelled at him that he was screwing up should be been a clue.

No, I don't give Cornyn a pass on this just because Creepy Uncle Joe signed an executive order telling the ATF to "ignore spirit and prosecute political enemies." The order just emboldened the ATF to do what they would have wanted to do eventually, anyway.
    Look up who voted for this. I did. ... John Cornyn proudly supported ...
    I'm reasonably sure everyone here has known for a very long time that Cornyn is an untrustworthy RINO where 2A issues are concerned. For example, we've discussed it before the BSCA here and all the way back in 2015 here.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX

Support for State Crisis Intervention Orders
    • Provides resources to states to implement crisis intervention court programs, which could include mental health courts, drug courts, Veterans’ Courts, and Assisted Outpatient Treatment (AOT) programs.
      • Every state would receive funding based on an existing formula and have the flexibility to choose whichever crisis intervention programs would work best for them. There are no mandates, incentives, penalties, or set-asides.
      • If a state chooses to use any of this funding to implement an extreme risk protection order program, it would be required to meet strict and expansive due process, evidentiary, and standard of proof requirements.
    Investments in Children and Family Mental Health Services
    • Expands the community behavioral health center model nationwide and makes major investments to increase access to mental health and suicide prevention programs and other support services available in the community, including crisis and trauma intervention.
    Protections for Victims of Domestic Violence
    • Updates the definition of misdemeanor crime of domestic violence to include those who have or have had a current or recent continuing serious relationship of a romantic or intimate nature with their victim.
    • Individuals convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence against a person with whom they have or have had a current or recent continuing serious relationship of a romantic or intimate nature would have their right to purchase and possess firearms automatically restored after five years elapsed from the end of their criminal sentence if they had committed no further crimes of violence.
    Funding for School-Based Mental Health and Supportive Services
    • Invests in programs to expand mental health and supportive services in schools, including early identification and intervention.
    Funding for School Safety Resources
    • Invests in programs to help institute safety measures in and around primary and secondary schools, supports school violence prevention efforts and provides training to school personnel and students.
    Clarification of the Definition of Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer
    • Cracks down on criminals who illegally evade licensing requirements.
    Telehealth Investments
    • Invests in programs that increase access to mental and behavioral health services for youth and families in crisis via telehealth.
    Under-21 Enhanced Review Process
    • For buyers under 21 years of age whose background checks are flagged for cause, the bill allows up to seven additional days for the FBI to conduct an enhanced review into the possibly disqualifying juvenile and mental health adjudication records.
    Penalties for Straw Purchasing
    • Cracks down on criminals, cartel members, and terrorists who illegally straw purchase and traffic guns.

Just because the ATF changes rules based on the above doesn't make the Act or those who supported it wrong...

Here is the real problem (have a bucket ready as it will induce severe nauseau!)...

In 2023, President Biden signed an Executive Order to accelerate implementation of the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, including by directing the Attorney General to move the U.S. as close to universal background checks as possible without additional legislation by clarifying the new Act. The Department of Justice’s (DOJ) final rule clarifies the type of conduct that requires a person to get a license to sell guns and to conduct background checks. By setting clear standards for when someone is dealing firearms, the rule provides the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) with proactive tools to enforce the law and keep our communities safe.

So what Uncle Joe did was make law-abiding citizens the "criminals, cartel members and terrorists" the BSCA was meant to address!
    Looks good to me, but I'm not a lawyer who fights ATF overreach. At least two 2A lawyers (you tube's Armed Attorneys) thought the ATF would be able to use the law as top cover for the legislative over reach by rule. ATF didn't have this with the bump stock and pistol brace rules and those are in trouble. Those in the biz would have lobbied Cornyn extensively to not support the bill so I can only believe he must have chosen not to listen to them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom