• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Had a friend who was a " those", always prepared for "something very big" for 50+ years. You should have seen him right after 9-11, the wacko in Waco, OK city bombing, Atlanta bombing, and right before Y2K, Maya Calendar, and a couple of dozen other "something very big" dates. Died quietly in his sleep after nothing very big happened. But he was prepared.
    As a young kid before my parents could trust me on my own they dragged along on Friday night grocery shopping. I'd help my grandmother, first and get her out to the car with her little bit of groceries and her case of beer.

My parents took longer so I would park myself over at the magazine section and read for free. That whole prepper thing goes back a very long time. Its an easy way to make money off of paranoia.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Couldn't that issue be prevented with a will?

<>

I have begun passing them out, beginning with my .45ACP’s.

I pray they won’t just turn them in to the deep state. I had to take Dad’s WWII Colt 1911 .45 from a Son & give it to our Engineer Grandson.
    Son said he’d use it as a “truck gun”; ZERO respect !

<>

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    While I understand your dismay, a gift is a gift, to be used as the 'gift-ee' sees fit.

<>

Things like that are heirlooms, belonging to the Family, and one only has custody of them.

Besides, when I got it semi-permanently I had McBride’s change the non-numbered parts like springs & the bbl. It should be shot occasionally.

<>

tecknomage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    tennessee
    I just retired for the second time and I’m trying to find my niche. All those years of working 60-70 hrs per week, on call 24/7, HOPING I survived to see retirement. Now, I lack structure in my life and need to regain it.

All those years of having a great income, I bought many items intending to enhance my retirement- tools, guns, a few luxury items. Now, many of them are items of a bygone era and hang like a literal albatross around my neck! What the hell do you do with a Rolex, engraved no less, when I don’t even wear or need a watch - the cell phone tells me the time! All just things I need to sell, give away, or dispose of so my heirs don’t think I had lost my mind.

Know what u mean. But i'd kept the lathe... can make things

SPACETRUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    just north of goofy town Texas
    Ok this has been a good read... Me retired two years ago and our story was to move to where the kids are in Alabama. Realtor says declutter is a must, gave it away, meat processing equipment, BBQ smokers, pressure washer, you name it we gave it away for cents on a $100 price. Many loads to salvation army. Long story short the housing market died so the biden regime, kept us in Texas the house never even got a reasonable offer. I had to go buy a couple replacements items that we would have bought in Alabama once we got there, no big deal. Now the problems, the neighbors that got the pressure washer well he thinks that dam thing is under warranty and I am the authorized repair center, my advise don't give it to your neighbor. The clothes, not sure just where the weight went but 80 lbs lighter and still loosing, not working seems to have its perks, I enjoy a comfortable life in shorts and t shirts most days, only dressing to go to the store, doctor or such. Oh and Alabama well we drive back and fourth at will. Retirement is definitely a different season of life, this is my second time around the first time was 25 years ago, and we still have a few toys with which to tinker, the doc thinks the motorcycle is too dangerous to which I reply I believe the vaccines and pills they peddle are more deadly than guns or scooters, this usually makes for short doc visits.... The wife thinks I am crusty, me not so much, as far as the leftovers, it's in the wills along with the DNRs went through that with my father in-law, he got mental so with the family's blessing I removed all ammo and let him keep his guns. The hard part for me, (the wife retired about 30 years ago so she is used to the slower pace) is all those "friends" that want to keep up with me, but don't? This is the second batch of those "friends" I have lost in a lifetime I didn't quit living just changed lifestyles. As for the sky falling and the conspiracy theorists, I have been watching and waiting so long, nothing has happened, and I see no indication that anything will happen, these guys are making a very good living off people's fears, so I continue to watch and thus far laugh at the predictions and liken them to numerous other occurrences from the past

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

We were used to having really big home parties in Brownsville & Houston. So we kept a bunch of cooking & serving equipment. In N.O. I used nearby Friends’ restaurants for parties for the young Doctors.

Here by the swamp, we have very few visitors, so all that “stuff” just takes up room & collects dust.

<>

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    We don't have a lot of crap. Mostly because we moved around for a few years for the wife's job, and everytime we'd purge what we could.

A couple of moves in we got tired of it, and just moved into our RV. That's the ultimate downsizing. We had a big 5th wheel but still, it's small. Then COVID hit and we ended up in the RV longer than we expected. We did have a storage unit where we kept the important stuff and a one bedroom apartment worth of furniture. It probably cost more to store it than what it was worth, but the time involved to collect it all was an issue to us. Plus I was going to have a storage unit anyway for my reloading/shooting stuff.

So move into an RV and take off! You'll be surprised how little you actually need. I still shot and reloaded. But I only kept two guns with me, and traded them out from storage a couple of times. The reloading kit was in an ammo can. It worked. I had plenty of time on my hands.

We spent all of the worst of COVID in a State Park which was closed to the public for some of it, and after that it was on limited access. Talk about social distancing. Nothing like a few hundred acres and a lake you only have to share with a dozen people and a few hundred deer.

aellis1224

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2019
    Houston, TX
    <>

“Death & Taxes”, they say. .. . . . .; .

But many here are facing “retirement” if we luck-out and get a few years between the job & the grave.

By now we’ve all seen financial advice ad nauseam, so not more of that.

Let’s share some non-financial discoveries we have uncovered around our own retirements.

For me, one major thing is de-junking before work life is over. I had accumulated lots of boating & hunting gear. But Wife is a “saver of things”, not so much a hoarder, but just likes to keep things which have little chance of being used in our lifetimes.

At one point, we had 3 rental warehouses & a garage filled with books, furniture, cooking equipment, sports gear, & assorted ammo. That stuff “costs’’ to keep in many ways.

Another is clothing. I didn’t realize just how much my usual wardrobe would change once retired. Of course snow-ski gear, wetsuits, & neckties went promptly. But it took me a while to fully understand that dress shoes, sports coats, & thin socks would never be worn again.

Even after losing some 60#, and taking loads of fat clothes to Church Charity, there were many more items still taking-up my life-force. A commercial cooking grease filter set, a complete never used child’s toy kitchen set, door covers for a JEEP whose doors stay on, a couple hundred rounds of 00, a few Galvanized anchors w/ chains, a giant box of giant scrub shirts, embroidered w/ my name, mesquite firewood from 2002, swimming pool skimmers (never had a pool), etc.

We become prisoners of our possessions. As ‘Rich Dad’’ Kiyosaki explained: What is an asset? An asset is something which, should you suddenly become disabled, would pay you regularly. Everything else is a liability. A boat, for example, has to be stored, insured, cleaned, maintained, etc. whether one uses it, or not.

Then, there is inertia born of lack of duties. We all have our bucket lists; but, what to follow them ?

We all as Humans can anticipate declining capabilities. If you really want an African Safari or a long offshore sailing voyage, don’t wait

OK, I’m out of ammo for now; please add your observations or advice.

leVieux
    (retired)

<>
    I just turned 62 in December…I ditched a little early doing Instacart & some other things I paid taxes for! So. didn’t feel one bit guilty about it. Though I will mention a racist altercation at the Texas Health & Human Services office… Boy, she got it Both Barrels… we were in a cubicle and she went there, black of course! I made a scene, her supervisor got involved and all the sudden, I got a call from an area supervisor. Needless to say, I’m going nuts, so I dropped the assistance and took a full time position again, it’s sales & I’ve been successful for 37 plus years… work till 67 for sure… Full retirement, my CPA said I’ll get a bump depending on my income and penalties… he said at this point you have nothing to lose! They’ll take what you and your employer pays in and your penalties… it goes back in the kitty & they divide it by 36… conservatively said you’ll get a $600-1000 raise on your benefits… invest what you can while working… SSI may run out within your lifetime… BigA Texas Semi-Retired @aellis1224 on #TruthSocial as well!!

Attachments

• IMG_4151.jpeg
      IMG_4151.jpeg
      635.6 KB · Views: 7

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I just turned 62 in December…I ditched a little early doing Instacart & some other things I paid taxes for! So. didn’t feel one bit guilty about it. Though I will mention a racist altercation at the Texas Health & Human Services office… Boy, she got it Both Barrels… we were in a cubicle and she went there, black of course! I made a scene, her supervisor got involved and all the sudden, I got a call from an area supervisor. Needless to say, I’m going nuts, so I dropped the assistance and took a full time position again, it’s sales & I’ve been successful for 37 plus years… work till 67 for sure… Full retirement, my CPA said I’ll get a bump depending on my income and penalties… he said at this point you have nothing to lose! They’ll take what you and your employer pays in and your penalties… it goes back in the kitty & they divide it by 36… conservatively said you’ll get a $600-1000 raise on your benefits… invest what you can while working… SSI may run out within your lifetime… BigA Texas Semi-Retired @aellis1224 on #TruthSocial as well!!

Welcome to the Forum!

Top Bottom